That Tennessee offense!

Reason why Tennessee is so good on offense is because someone can take the top off the defense and smoke defensive backs with speed.

We dont have anyone with Hyatt speed. We are on cruise control. And that limits the schematic passing game. We could scheme these things up for us, but we couldn't execute it.

I've said it multiple times, speed and athletic ability kill it at the wide receiver position. From that perspective, we are not very good. The fact that we have a Juco College transfer come in and be the leading receiver next to the Clemson reject with drop and injury problems tells me all I need to know about the so-called talent we have on the outside.

When was the last time we really had someone stretching the field vertically the way Hyatt did yesterday? Or the last time we looked at a receiver and went "****, he is blazing fast"?
Jaylin Hyatt was ranked as the 33rd WR nationally and didn't have the big time football schools recruiting him. his commitment came down to TN and VT (Miami did offer). He did have a 4.31 40 time so that certainly helped, but it's not as if he was some all world recruit. I'm pretty sure Bama has way more talented receivers that were recruited over Hyatt and he out-performed them. For comparison, Jacolby George had a 40 time of 4.38 (best of 3 according to draftscout.com). Romello Brinson had a 40 time of 4.4 (not an absolute burner, but not cement shoes either). So this notion that Miami doesn't have speed at the WR position is nonsense. It's the scheme and coaching that makes Miami receivers look slower than they are.

Advertisement
Jaylin Hyatt was ranked as the 33rd WR nationally and didn't have the big time football schools recruiting him. his commitment came down to TN and VT (Miami did offer). He did have a 4.31 40 time so that certainly helped, but it's not as if he was some all world recruit. I'm pretty sure Bama has way more talented receivers that were recruited over Hyatt and he out-performed them. For comparison, Jacolby George had a 40 time of 4.38 (best of 3 according to draftscout.com). Romello Brinson had a 40 time of 4.4 (not an absolute burner, but not cement shoes either). So this notion that Miami doesn't have speed at the WR position is nonsense. It's the scheme and coaching that makes Miami receivers look slower than they are.
You saw Hyatt yesterday, go ahead and tell me Brinson and George look even remotely close in terms of speed. Go on.

Miami does not have the speed at the WR position that other teams have. We didn't have it with Lashlee too and Rambo was making every jump ball look easy. The sooner we realize it, the better.

But Saban is a defensive mastermind and a genius db coach......I'm sure the 5 star DBs looked amazing at least
Many did, like Surtain Jr.

Point is even Alabama struggles with high-powered offenses and elite college QBs. They still usually win these shootouts because of their own elite offense. But have lost, like to TAMU with Manziel, Clemson with Watson and Lawrence, LSU with Burrow. And today to Hooker and Tennessee. The Tide have not lost a low scoring game since a 26-14 loss to Auburn in 2017. Before that 23-17 to Ole Miss in 2014.

Like I said, coaches get married to the system that got them to the HC ranks. Since Diaz was a defensive coach, I don't think changing the offensive scheme was as much an issue for him. He was content with giving Lashlee total autonomy.

The problem is that Cristobal is an offensive minded coach. He's not going to change his philosophy on that side of the ball. On defense I'm sure he has a scheme preference but I don't think he'd dictate to Steele what kind scheme he has to run.

This also goes to the constant refrain that Saban was willing to adapt his offense and go to a spread. Saban is a defensive minded coach. He's far more flexible on what happens to that side of the ball. If his teams could be more successful in the spread, he'd bring in a spread OC. IMO the chances that Mario as an offensive minded coach will go to a completely different scheme are slim and the only chance it happens is if/when he's on the hot seat and desperate.
Saban has changed his defense from a 3-4 to a 4-3, with faster, smaller linebackers that can compete better against faster, spread offenses.

Reason why Tennessee is so good on offense is because someone can take the top off the defense and smoke defensive backs with speed.

We dont have anyone with Hyatt speed. We are on cruise control. And that limits the schematic passing game. We could scheme these things up for us, but we couldn't execute it.

I've said it multiple times, speed and athletic ability kill it at the wide receiver position. From that perspective, we are not very good. The fact that we have a Juco College transfer come in and be the leading receiver next to the Clemson reject with drop and injury problems tells me all I need to know about the so-called talent we have on the outside.

When was the last time we really had someone stretching the field vertically the way Hyatt did yesterday? Or the last time we looked at a receiver and went "****, he is blazing fast"?
Not saying you’re wrong but bro look at the history of that offense, the big plays are literally layups and are successful with all types of WRs..Like u dont even need a burner even tho to maximize it u should get one but you’ll get easy 20 yard gains just off a simple rpo glance or vertical choice route

Advertisement
You saw Hyatt yesterday, go ahead and tell me Brinson and George look even remotely close in terms of speed. Go on.

Miami does not have the speed at the WR position that other teams have. We didn't have it with Lashlee too and Rambo was making every jump ball look easy. The sooner we realize it, the better.
Its the scheme that allows him to shine the way he did. When you have a coach, oc, position coach who employ an offensive system that utilizes concepts/schematics the way Heupel's system does you get receivers like Hyatt who can shine. Switch players/systems and i bet Hyatt will be average to below average in Mario/Gattis' system and Brinson/George will have better numbers. **** plenty of WRs of all ranking levels are succeeding with these wide open offenses vs what MC is trying to run here. I get it though, Mario is going to be here for the next 6-7 years so there's more of an emotional investment in him and the staff. Plus, it's easier to blame kids who will be gone 3-4 years for failures of the coach and staff.

Its the scheme that allows him to shine the way he did. When you have a coach, oc, position coach who employ an offensive system that utilizes concepts/schematics the way Heupel's system does you get receivers like Hyatt who can shine. Switch players/systems and i bet Hyatt will be average to below average in Mario/Gattis' system and Brinson/George will have better numbers. **** plenty of WRs of all ranking levels are succeeding with these wide open offenses vs what MC is trying to run here. I get it though, Mario is going to be here for the next 6-7 years so there's more of an emotional investment in him and the staff. Plus, it's easier to blame kids who will be gone 3-4 years for failures of the coach and staff.
So thats why Colbie Young, a Juco transfer, is shining and Brinson has completely vanished from the field. Got it.

Advertisement
Wow, that was one of the funnest most exiting offenses I have ever seen. I mean, win or lose, that makes a team fun to watch. Knowing they can go toe to toe with 5* players instead of getting your **** pushed in.

Where can I get one of those for the Canes?

Amazon Prime or Costco

I would generally agree with you, although even a football novice can watch Miami plays/scheme and then watch Tenn plays/scheme and see the difference in their design.

Bama and Ohio St pumping out 1st Rounder WRs and both teams having great offenses and winning are definitely correlated.

So thats why Colbie Young, a Juco transfer, is shining and Brinson has completely vanished from the field. Got it.
How do you utilize a JUCO team with a couple good players and those good players are inconsistent.

A NFL coaching staff would do no better then what Mario is doing with a really weak team overall, so tough to say really is .

Like a recovering addict and koolaide addict myself till WE recognize the reality of what this team is made of we’ll continue to GROUND HOG this forever.

GOCANES

Sadly I don't think Mario is going to change at this point in his coaching career. He's married to his garbage scheme the same way Golden was to the 3-4, Richt was to the RichtPO, and Diaz was to his "havoc" style undisciplined defense. A lot of us saw this coming, but we repeated the prayer we said for all the previous coaches, "He will adapt to whatever scheme is most effective because this is his dream job."

Ironically, maybe the most adaptive coach was Diaz. As a defensive coach he was most comfortable with a ball control offense, yet he had the guts to scrap the pro style offense after one season for a spread O. People want to take credit away from him and say that was no big deal, but I think that change WAS a big deal.

I'm 100% sure Diaz was also going to scrap his def and hire a new DC after 2021 too...but it's something he should've did after the 2020 meltdown @UNC.

Advertisement
But you said UCF wouldn't miss Heupel LOL
They’re better this year than they were with Heupel. UCF literally got worse every year he was there. He knows offense but didn’t bother recruiting and once the players he inherited left, he went 6-4 and ditched the program for UT.

Get off my ****.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I would generally agree with you, although even a football novice can watch Miami plays/scheme and then watch Tenn plays/scheme and see the difference in their design.

Bama and Ohio St pumping out 1st Rounder WRs and both teams having great offenses and winning are definitely correlated.
Obviously Tennessee spreads the field differently, but from a pure vertical perspective, we are trying to stretch the field and throw nine patterns to Colbie Young.

Tennessee is throwing nine patterns and post patterns to a receiver who ran a 10.4 100 metres and a 21.1 200 metres in High School.

Theres the difference.

Big win for Tenn, but Bama definitely helped them along the way with penalties, huge ST mistake (sound familiar?).

Vols needed OT to beat Pitt and only beat Gators by 5. I wouldn’t anoint anyone just yet.

Advertisement
Back