Thank you GR15

Advertisement
The hypocrisy in these GR15 reactions is unreal...people say all the time that UGA and bammer don't care about their players and only love them on Saturdays if they're making plays, yet freak out when this dude chooses to protect himself and his future.

I know wherever he ends up, I'm still gonna be rooting for GR15. F*ck all y'all hating on a college kid for doing what was best for him smh
I don't see anyone "hating" Greg. I don't like the decision because I'm a UM fan, and I want what's best for UM. But I still wish Greg well and hope he kills it.

Not everything has to be so black and white all the time. You don't have to be a bad fan or a hater or any of that **** if you don't like the decision. And you don't have to suck his ******* out because he made a decision for himself.

If we were talking leaving a year early for top 15 cash over playing another year and becoming a top 4 pick, I'd understand that. That's a whole year jump on your career, and I understand that. But this? The draft is next April regardless. Sitting out doesn't guarantee anything but less game film.

He'll still go high, but I believe he would have gone higher with more dominance on film.

Someone convince me sitting out a year helps his draft stock, and helps protect him from COVID-19.
This will be an interesting case study on how much film you need when you have one big hyped season. It could set a terrible precedent for college football fans if he still gets picked in the top 10. I can't even watch college basketball anymore because there's no sense of team or love of programs in that sport.

I can respect that perspective.
Personally, I'd phrase my stance a little differently and say I do care about the players, but I will always care about the Program more. Though I am sure there are some UM fans out there taking extreme positions and hoping nothing but the worst for GR15 right now.
That's fair my guy

Advertisement
Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I respect the young man's decision; especially since it was family related. I hope it all works out for him and time will tell if his decision will help or hurt his future football career.

I don't see anyone "hating" Greg. I don't like the decision because I'm a UM fan, and I want what's best for UM. But I still wish Greg well and hope he kills it.

Not everything has to be so black and white all the time. You don't have to be a bad fan or a hater or any of that **** if you don't like the decision. And you don't have to suck his ******* out because he made a decision for himself.
I don't like the decision any more than you do and I want to see us win just as much as the next fan. All I'm saying is the comments calling him a "quitter" and people saying they hope he loses millions are uncalled for too. I'm not sucking his ******* by saying be respectful of his decision.

If we were talking leaving a year early for top 15 cash over playing another year and becoming a top 4 pick, I'd understand that. That's a whole year jump on your career, and I understand that. But this? The draft is next April regardless. Sitting out doesn't guarantee anything but less game film.

He'll still go high, but I believe he would have gone higher with more dominance on film.

Someone convince me sitting out a year helps his draft stock, and helps protect him from COVID-19.
So he literally will not play competitive football for another 12 months.. Lol too funny how all these guys are in spin mood. 10 games and then it's move to the NFL... another reason UM is where it is for the past 18 years.

Advertisement
I don't like the decision any more than you do and I want to see us win just as much as the next fan. All I'm saying is the comments calling him a "quitter" and people saying they hope he loses millions are uncalled for too. I'm not sucking his ******* by saying be respectful of his decision.
I admittedly didn't see anyone saying that stuff about him. I think you and I probably see this pretty similarly albeit I'm likely a little less celebratory of his decision.

I admittedly didn't see anyone saying that stuff about him. I think you and I probably see this pretty similarly albeit I'm likely a little less celebratory of his decision.
Agreed. I just wanna see my canes dominate, primarily in college, but also in the league too. I love hearing Pro Bowlers introduce themselves saying they came from "The U"

This appears to me to be an oddly tiered standard of equality. So if you are a UM player for even a year and you "produce" (presumably at a high level), then you are propelled into the highest echelon of contributing and sacrificing for the program? You seem to be acknowledging that there is some minimum level of production necessary to qualify as contributing to the program, but once you surpass that threshold, everyone is suddenly the same. But there are clearly other tiers (like the CF HOF, UM HOF, and UM's ROH) that measure productivity and reward contributions to the Program beyond what you are suggesting. And personally, although I think a 4th year walk-on DE paying his own way and working on the scout team to help us get ready for game day is a contributor who is sacrificing a great deal to be a part of the program, I wouldn't equate his contribution to a guy like GR15, but neither will I ever put GR15's contribution on the same level as a Jerome Brown or Danny Stubbs.

Your citation to guys like Kennedy, Shockey, and Blades is not very persuasive, IMO. Those men all came closer to maximizing their eligibility at UM (2/3 did, in fact, leaving as seniors) and only left after significant production over the course of their UM careers: (1) Cortez (RIP) transferred from JUCO (after 2 seasons) and left as a senior DT maximizing his eligibility at UM; (2) Shockey played two seasons at UM after transferring from JUCO, and left UM second among tight ends in career touchdowns, sixth in catches and sixth in receiving yards; and (3) as far as Bennie Blades, he was a Cane for 3 seasons, was a two-time first team All-American as a defensive back for the Hurricanes in 1986 and 1987, and won the Jim Thorpe Award as a senior. Meanwhile, GR15, despite being tied for the second best sack season in UM history, doesn't crack UM's top 10 for career sacks (he's 5.5 sacks short of No. 10). So forgive me, but I will flip your comment... I'm not going to tell Kennedy, Shockey, and Blades (any Blades) that GR15 is as much a Cane as they are.

As far as him (or any other player) having the "right to opt out," I readily admitted that in my post. But just because a player has the "right" to exercise an option, doesn't mean it is the wise choice. Nor does it mean that I (or any other) fan must be supportive of that choice (especially when I happen to believe it is the wrong choice, though I'm admittedly biased). I'll also point out there is some inconsistency in citing to the NCAA's sanctioning of opting out as support for anyone choosing to utilize the opt out, while simultaneously rallying against the NCAA as a corrupt institution that makes itself rich on the backs of unpaid labor.
Then you didn’t correctly read my post. I’m not going to discount KJ Osborne’s contribution relative to Jeff Thomas.

Advertisement
This will be an interesting case study on how much film you need when you have one big hyped season. It could set a terrible precedent for college football fans if he still gets picked in the top 10. I can't even watch college basketball anymore because there's no sense of team or love of programs in that sport.
Exactly. I can see several freshmen having huge years and 'opting out' until they can get drafted.

For Greg's sake, I hope he still goes high. I just believe he could have improved his draft stock. Sitting out does not improve his draft stock, but playing well again would have.

Then you didn’t correctly read my post. I’m not going to discount KJ Osborne’s contribution relative to Jeff Thomas.
Or you didn't appropriately support your argument by using easily distinguishable examples, and ultimately taking the indefensible position that all players' contribution to the Program are equal so long as they meet an undefined threshold of production.

Sticking with Jeff Thomas, would you say his contribution to the Program is "equal" to Micheal Irvin's, Reggie Wayne's, Andre Johnson's, Santana Moss's, or Lamar Thomas's? Five of those guys are in UM's Sports HOF, and the other has no chance of ever landing there (but had a solid college career and made contributions to the team). Sure, they're all Canes, but their contributions to the Program most definitely are not equal.

UM recognizes this simple fact. Here's how UM's HOF describes itself and what it does: "The Hall of Fame Committee is a 501c3 corporation whose sole purpose is to recognize those student athletes, coaches and administrators who have contributed the most to Hurricane Athletics over the years." (emphasis added to aid in communication). So while players' contributions to the Program may be even Steven to you, UM clearly believes otherwise.

Or you didn't appropriately support your argument by using easily distinguishable examples, and ultimately taking the indefensible position that all players' contribution to the Program are equal so long as they meet an undefined threshold of production.

Sticking with Jeff Thomas, would you say his contribution to the Program is "equal" to Micheal Irvin's, Reggie Wayne's, Andre Johnson's, Santana Moss's, or Lamar Thomas's? Five of those guys are in UM's Sports HOF, and the other has no chance of ever landing there (but had a solid college career and made contributions to the team). Sure, they're all Canes, but their contributions to the Program most definitely are not equal.

UM recognizes this simple fact. Here's how UM's HOF describes itself and what it does: "The Hall of Fame Committee is a 501c3 corporation whose sole purpose is to recognize those student athletes, coaches and administrators who have contributed the most to Hurricane Athletics over the years." (emphasis added to aid in communication). So while players' contributions to the Program may be even Steven to you, UM clearly believes otherwise.
I can’t help it if you’re not in the mood to properly read. Argument support has nothing to do with overcoming a closed mind (yours). You appare believe in 2nd-class Canes, I don’t. All that other **** you’re talking about are straw men. I see GR15 as Cane 100%.

Advertisement
I can’t help it if you’re not in the mood to properly read. Argument support has nothing to do with overcoming a closed mind (yours). You appare believe in 2nd-class Canes, I don’t. All that other **** you’re talking about are straw men. I see GR15 as Cane 100%.
You have drifted into the deep end of the pool. Let me throw you a life preserver.

You claim others can't or won't "properly read", but you clearly failed to read (or failed to comprehend), at the very least: (1) the portions of the discussion where I expressly stated GR15 had the right to opt out (I literally wrote, "he is absolutely entitled and within his rights to take advantage of the ability to opt out..."); and (2) where I very clearly said he is a Cane and nobody can take from him (my exact words were, "he's still a Cane. Nobody should be trying to take that away from him (nor can they, honestly)").

You rant against my alleged and theoretical straw-man arguments, but you construct two of them in a five-sentence post: (1) stating I "appare [sic] [to] believe in 2nd-class Canes," and (2) insinuating I've argued GR15 is anything less than "100%" Cane, whatever that means. The first is especially funny considering you initially qualified your position when you said, "I believe they’re equal when you produce, even if only for a year, like GR15 did." The clear implication of your words being that less production means a lesser contribution. The second is a desperate pivot from the actual conversation, which began with you "disagreeing" with my comment that, "neither should we kid ourselves that all contributions and sacrifices to the program are equal."

Lastly, you can call me close-minded or insinuate I am illiterate, that's very on-brand for guys like you on the internet. But the fact I have even engaged you this long is fairly strong evidence to the contrary on the first point. Meanwhile, your ad hominem attacks, deflection, and continued attempts to shift discussion away from some pretty simple truths strongly suggests a mirror would be your fastest route to finding a close-minded person who isn't in the mood to properly read.

Now have a drink and a smile. You'll live longer.

He did us a favor because he would have totally mailed it in this year and we ALL know it. So yes, thank you.
I'm not happy he left but he wouldn't have mailed it in. Dude played hard.

Are all these players opting out "due to covid" going to stay in quarantine until the draft next year?

I almost always have the players backs but this is a ***** move, that's a fact. I still like Greg and hope he kills it in the NFL but this has nothing to do with covid. Just waiting for players to start skipping their junior years in the future.

Exactly.

Greg Rousseau, we hardly knew ye.

Another kid in and out before he got a chance to make a real mark at Miami.

This can be spun all day long as looking out for his best interest—but if the Canes were a contender for a national championship, he'd be back for one more go-around.

Not seeing kids of his caliber at LSU, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, et al bailing out on their season.

Personal decision, so wish him well—but sort of bunk he doesn't feel the risk isn't worth the rewards, simply based on what he must feel the ceiling is for the Canes this fall—as bigger talents with more to lose are still (currently) suiting up this fall.

Always seems these Miami kids have bad guys in their ears with the advice these days; lots of vultures steering kids the wrong direction. Hope that wasn't the case here.
Excellent post. You summed that up nicely. It would have been great to see him ball out for us one last time but GR15 has the right to enter the marketplace and be compensated for his tremendous skills. He has excellent tools and rare ability but I truly believe that at least another year of game experience at the college level would have benefited Greg much more than is currently being voiced here. There is much more that he could have learned and improved on by staying at least one more season. I most certainly support his right to make money and opt out or whatever the young man wants to do but some of the virtue signaling, hey look at me types on this forum must love the taste of **** on their tongues. I mean some of these attention seeking, look how far I can stick my tongue up Greg Rousseau's anal cavity types here really take it to a new level. We all loved having GR15 here as a Cane and we're going to miss him but if somebody here makes a comment about him leaving too early or that they are bummed because of it doesn't make them bad people. It's just a message board and those are just normal and honest fan reactions. It's expected and it kind of comes with the territory. It's really not that big of a deal.

Advertisement
Back