Thank you GR15

Advertisement
GREG ROUSSEAU BRING DISHONOR TO CANE FAMILY NAME

HIS ACTS IN WAR WILL NO LONGER BE MENTION IN THE HOUSE OF CANE

NOT HIS DEEDS AGAINST THE SEMINOLE OR THE PANTHER

NONE HIS DEEDS!

[grown man in green and orange samurai cosplay spits on the ground]

HE IS CURSED, SHAMED, OUTCASTED FOR DISGRACING THE NOBLE FAMILY THAT BORE HIM FOR 2 YEARS

WE CARRY HIM IN OUR WOMB AND HE CUT HIMSELF OUT BEFORE IT WAS TIME!

I AM MOTHER THAT BIRTH YOU, ROUSSEAU, I AM FATHER THAT DISOWN YOU!

NYYYAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

j / k , g o b a l l o u t GR

More productive in 10 games than most in a whole career. So fist yourself.
Games have nothing to do with it. Had he been a 3 year starter and not come back for his senior year most, if not all, of these same desperate, miserable ******** would be chatting the same ****. I’ve pointed it out for years: a lot of fans hate athletes.

They are a jealous lot. Miami is not immune from this scourge. Their personal caste system puts athletes beneath them and any relationship beyond a version of chattel servitude is incomprehensible. No agency, no self-determination, just “you owe me”; and, worse, I’m not paying you.

They don’t begrudge baseball or hockey or tennis players or golfers … but football and basketball players? “who the **** do they think they are?”

Jimmy Graham 13 Games.
Greg Rousseau 15 Games.
Ed Reed 45 Games.

All Canes.

Go HOF dey asses, GR15!

Way To Go Peanut GIF - WayToGo Peanut MrPeanut GIFs

Advertisement
A lot more can be said. But it is what it is.
Exactly.

Greg Rousseau, we hardly knew ye.

Another kid in and out before he got a chance to make a real mark at Miami.

This can be spun all day long as looking out for his best interest—but if the Canes were a contender for a national championship, he'd be back for one more go-around.

Not seeing kids of his caliber at LSU, Clemson, Alabama, Ohio State, et al bailing out on their season.

Personal decision, so wish him well—but sort of bunk he doesn't feel the risk isn't worth the rewards, simply based on what he must feel the ceiling is for the Canes this fall—as bigger talents with more to lose are still (currently) suiting up this fall.

Always seems these Miami kids have bad guys in their ears with the advice these days; lots of vultures steering kids the wrong direction. Hope that wasn't the case here.

Games have nothing to do with it. Had he been a 3 year starter and not come back for his senior year most, if not all, of these same desperate, miserable ******** would be chatting the same ****. I’ve pointed it out for years: a lot of fans hate athletes.

They are a jealous lot. Miami is not immune from this scourge. Their personal caste system puts athletes beneath them and any relationship beyond a version of chattel servitude is incomprehensible. No agency, no self-determination, just “you owe me”; and, worse, I’m not paying you.

They don’t begrudge baseball or hockey or tennis players or golfers … but football and basketball players? “who the **** do they think they are?”

Jimmy Graham 13 Games.
Greg Rousseau 15 Games.
Ed Reed 45 Games.

All Canes.

Go HOF dey asses, GR15!
Well said.

They also didn't take Into account the countless hours Greg put in to transform his body and refine his technique.

It honestly feels good to know we have some guys that are going to be going first round again and dominant in the NFL. A lot of our Gems were starting to get older or have retired.

In a normal world he’d still leave after this season. COVID happened and will prolly end our season after a few games anyways So it provided the pending for all the first rounders.

Comparing leaving now, before a season where we have a lot of hope and after, apples to oranges man. Come on, be better than that.

Advertisement
The hypocrisy in these GR15 reactions is unreal...people say all the time that UGA and bammer don't care about their players and only love them on Saturdays if they're making plays, yet freak out when this dude chooses to protect himself and his future.

I know wherever he ends up, I'm still gonna be rooting for GR15. F*ck all y'all hating on a college kid for doing what was best for him smh

The hypocrisy in these GR15 reactions is unreal...people say all the time that UGA and bammer don't care about their players and only love them on Saturdays if they're making plays, yet freak out when this dude chooses to protect himself and his future.

I know wherever he ends up, I'm still gonna be rooting for GR15. F*ck all y'all hating on a college kid for doing what was best for him smh

lol theyre proving that the fanbase is the exact same despite a larger city and different team colors.

Sucks man

He did body FSU though but we needed that dude this season. Do you thing though kid ain't your fault u didn't start last year from the jump.

Rep That U

Jimmy Graham 13 Games.
Greg Rousseau 15 Games.
Ed Reed 45 Games.

All Canes.

Go HOF dey asses, GR15!
You lost me by including Jimmy Graham in there with "13 games." Graham played in 120 NCAA basketball games with Miami across his chest and a U on his back. Not recognizing that diminishes his contributions to the university.

Beyond that, it is fair to say that some people are miserable and would have cried even if GR15 played a full season in 2020 at or near the same level as he did in 2019 then abruptly turned pro with 2 seasons of eligibility left. But had he played this season and then decided to forgo his last two seasons of eligibility for the NFL draft, I honestly believe a lot more fans would have supported that decision. If you read this forum and the recruiting forum (and I know you do), many of us were already counting GR15 as a goner after this season (expecting an encore to his incredible 2019 season), so there is support for the notion that had he done so the cacophony of ignorant "boos" would have been silenced by an overwhelming wave of cheers.

Regardless, as an alumni, my loyalty is to UM above any individual player. The Program is bigger than Ted Hendricks, George Mira, Melvin Bratton, Jim Kelly, Micheal Irvin, Bennie Blades, Ken Dorsey, Russell Maryland, Gino Torreta, Warren Sapp, Andre Johnson, Santana Moss, Ed Reed, Ottis Anderson, Sean Taylor, Calais Campbell, Frank Gore, Jim Dooley, Edgerrin James, Ray Lewis, Cortez Kennedy, Jon Vilma, Dan Morgan, or Jerome Brown. It is bigger than any individual player because it encompasses every player and their individual contributions and sacrifices to the program. And it sure as **** is bigger than GR15.

Of course, he's still a Cane. Nobody should be trying to take that away from him (nor can they, honestly). But neither should we kid ourselves that all contributions and sacrifices to the program are equal. Leaving now, after an injury-shortened RS season and one incredible RS FR season, it is fair to point out his contributions and sacrifices do not measure up to the men listed above.

But he is absolutely entitled and within his rights to take advantage of the ability to opt out, sit the season, and then go out and become a millionaire in next year's draft. Wherever he is playing, I will wish him success. I am of the opinion that this move will (rightfully) cost him money on his first NFL contract (because I believe in GR15 and I am confident that had he played he would have solidified himself as the No. 1 edge rusher in the 2021 NFL draft, whereas his actions have allowed an opening for others to take that crown on the field this season). No matter where is drafted (unless he's the first edge rusher off the board and drafted in the top 3), we'll probably never know for certain.

I still hope he goes somewhere in the first round. And I'll cheer him on come Sundays, sure. But, no matter what he does in the NFL, IMO he'll never be a UM Ring of Honor worthy player. For some players that sort of thing matters, for others it doesn't. My guess is GR15 falls into the latter category anyway.

Last edited:
Advertisement

I don't see the hypocrisy.

Most of us are perpetually slamming those $ec schools not because they are "uncaring," but because many of their fans are straight up racists. There is a difference between cheering on a talented player on Saturdays and then knocking him and being (selfishly, sure) upset that the same player has left the program after appearing in all of 15 games, and cheering on a player on Saturdays but then not letting him into your home when he shows up on your daughter's arm. Lots of people here are doing the former, whereas lots of people in those $ec schools are doing the latter.

If we were talking leaving a year early for top 15 cash over playing another year and becoming a top 4 pick, I'd understand that. That's a whole year jump on your career, and I understand that. But this? The draft is next April regardless. Sitting out doesn't guarantee anything but less game film.

He'll still go high, but I believe he would have gone higher with more dominance on film.

Someone convince me sitting out a year helps his draft stock, and helps protect him from COVID-19.

…But neither should we kid ourselves that all contributions and sacrifices to the program are equal...
That’s where we disagree. I believe they’re equal when you produce, even if only for a year, like GR15 did. I’m not going to tell Kennedy and Shockey they’re not as Cane as … Blades because they went the JUCO route. Is a 4 year guy who shows out his senior year (but played little in previous seasons) going to be worth more to me than a guy who shows out his junior year and declares? To me, no.

These players have the right to opt out. Some of them who have no shot at the NFL are opting out. I don’t see it as an excuse, I see it as an NCAA sanctioned opportunity.

Advertisement
I don't see the hypocrisy.

Most of us are perpetually slamming those $ec schools not because they are "uncaring," but because many of their fans are straight up racists. There is a difference between cheering on a talented player on Saturdays and then knocking him and being (selfishly, sure) upset that the same player has left the program after appearing in all of 15 games, and cheering on a player on Saturdays but then not letting him into your home when he shows up on your daughter's arm. Lots of people here are doing the former, whereas lots of people in those $ec schools are doing the latter.
Agreed on the racism point. I just think they both are different (albeit very different) types of only caring about the player when he's playing.

That’s where we disagree. I believe they’re equal when you produce, even if only for a year, like GR15 did. I’m not going to tell Kennedy and Shockey they’re not as Cane as … Blades because they went the JUCO route. Is a 4 year guy who shows out his senior year (but played little in previous seasons) going to be worth more to me than a guy who shows out his junior year and declares? To me, no.

These players have the right to opt out. Some of them who have no shot at the NFL are opting out. I don’t see it as an excuse, I see it as an NCAA sanctioned opportunity.
This appears to me to be an oddly tiered standard of equality. So if you are a UM player for even a year and you "produce" (presumably at a high level), then you are propelled into the highest echelon of contributing and sacrificing for the program? You seem to be acknowledging that there is some minimum level of production necessary to qualify as contributing to the program, but once you surpass that threshold, everyone is suddenly the same. But there are clearly other tiers (like the CF HOF, UM HOF, and UM's ROH) that measure productivity and reward contributions to the Program beyond what you are suggesting. And personally, although I think a 4th year walk-on DE paying his own way and working on the scout team to help us get ready for game day is a contributor who is sacrificing a great deal to be a part of the program, I wouldn't equate his contribution to a guy like GR15, but neither will I ever put GR15's contribution on the same level as a Jerome Brown or Danny Stubbs.

Your citation to guys like Kennedy, Shockey, and Blades is not very persuasive, IMO. Those men all came closer to maximizing their eligibility at UM (2/3 did, in fact, leaving as seniors) and only left after significant production over the course of their UM careers: (1) Cortez (RIP) transferred from JUCO (after 2 seasons) and left as a senior DT maximizing his eligibility at UM; (2) Shockey played two seasons at UM after transferring from JUCO, and left UM second among tight ends in career touchdowns, sixth in catches and sixth in receiving yards; and (3) as far as Bennie Blades, he was a Cane for 3 seasons, was a two-time first team All-American as a defensive back for the Hurricanes in 1986 and 1987, and won the Jim Thorpe Award as a senior. Meanwhile, GR15, despite being tied for the second best sack season in UM history, doesn't crack UM's top 10 for career sacks (he's 5.5 sacks short of No. 10). So forgive me, but I will flip your comment... I'm not going to tell Kennedy, Shockey, and Blades (any Blades) that GR15 is as much a Cane as they are.

As far as him (or any other player) having the "right to opt out," I readily admitted that in my post. But just because a player has the "right" to exercise an option, doesn't mean it is the wise choice. Nor does it mean that I (or any other) fan must be supportive of that choice (especially when I happen to believe it is the wrong choice, though I'm admittedly biased). I'll also point out there is some inconsistency in citing to the NCAA's sanctioning of opting out as support for anyone choosing to utilize the opt out, while simultaneously rallying against the NCAA as a corrupt institution that makes itself rich on the backs of unpaid labor.

Last edited:
Agreed on the racism point. I just think they both are different (albeit very different) types of only caring about the player when he's playing.

I can respect that perspective.
Personally, I'd phrase my stance a little differently and say I do care about the players, but I will always care about the Program more. Though I am sure there are some UM fans out there taking extreme positions and hoping nothing but the worst for GR15 right now.

I don't get the decision, if he had played this year and skip a meaningless bowl game I get it . His freshmen year he red shirted. His sophomore year he didn't start immediately, but came on like gang busters once he started. This spring, he practices 4 times. That means by next April's draft he would have had 4 football practices in about a year and a half. No film, while other players that do play and are killing it and passing him up. I am a scout i don't know if i could recommend a kid, that hasn't played a lick of football in a year and a half. I just don't see it, out of sight out of mind.

Advertisement
Back