Texas A&M- what's up with their recruiting?

eddie murphy film GIF

abcf79be-5725-4cbb-a34e-3bca5dedcf4c_207979703878056.gif

Advertisement
So Texas A&M has the 60th ranked class right now after signing the highest ranked class of all time last year. Are they really not paying what they promised to last year's class? And is that what's impacting this year's class? Or are they waiting to drop major bags/NIL closer to signing day? Or a combination of the two (I'm assuming this is the case)?

I also noticed Ole Miss is 61st and Auburn is 68th. I know it's still relatively early but these schools don't ever drop this far and they all have historically dropped big bags. I'm curious to see what happens nationwide closer to the early signing day. Either these schools truly have no juice or there will be quite a bit of movement from big NIL deals being thrown out late.

View attachment 197405
In July you should focus on the average score. If your team is above 90, you are doing well.

They may be emulating Bama.

I seem to recall in the last days of recruiting - Bama would seemingly swoop in at the end and pick off those select players they wanted -

Now I admit that was in the days before NIL, but it sure was an oddity.

Don't know how that will work when many teams have bags now.

Possibly, but for that to work, they would also have to do better than their usual 8-4 (9-1 pandemic season notwithstanding). 😂 seriously though, I would say that’s a big part of it as well, since a lot more teams are seemingly able to pay now.

Also, you guys, for the love of god please stop saying “it’s July.” That simply doesn’t hold the same weight right now.

For one, *A LOT* more kids are committed and shut down than in previous years, possibly due to financial promises, otherwise I don’t think you’d see a team like Tennessee landing multiple five stars so quickly. There are a lot of the top 100 off the board, and don’t think there will be many flips. Two, A&M already had a lot of elite guys on board by this time last year, they are way behind comparatively. They may end up close to top 10 but nowhere near what they signed last cycle, short of winning the SEC and/or playoffs.

I think it's a combination of being a small class and the elite kids who are interested wanting to see how Jimbo follows up a season where he beat Bama but only went 8-4.

Jimbo and his staff are strong recruiters with a lot of money behind them. But if he has another 8-win or less season, I highly doubt they make the top 8. I see multiple other programs who could vault above them this class if they don't start showing results, starting with these 11: Bama, Taint, Clemson, UGA, Miami, USCw, LSU, Texas, Oregon, Oklahoma and Notre Dame. A handful of other will make a run at it, too.

Advertisement

A&M is and have always been the weird cousin to Texas. If all things are equal Austin shyttts on college station. Anyone that’s ever been to A&M knows it’s a weird vibe that’s relevant because of oil money. Their facilities are nuts but it feels like you’re at service academy when you’re there. People marching around everywhere. Are you in Bryan? Are you in college station? Every time I’m there I’m just like get me tf back to Houston or Austin lol

Advertisement
Ya'll know there is extra pay for AtM right?

At least I think there is.

There should be anyway.

So Texas A&M has the 60th ranked class right now after signing the highest ranked class of all time last year. Are they really not paying what they promised to last year's class? And is that what's impacting this year's class? Or are they waiting to drop major bags/NIL closer to signing day? Or a combination of the two (I'm assuming this is the case)?

I also noticed Ole Miss is 61st and Auburn is 68th. I know it's still relatively early but these schools don't ever drop this far and they all have historically dropped big bags. I'm curious to see what happens nationwide closer to the early signing day. Either these schools truly have no juice or there will be quite a bit of movement from big NIL deals being thrown out late.

View attachment 197405
Lane Kiffin is killing it on the recruiting trail
Tea Time Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back