TerrEnce not TerrAnce Lewis 1.0 - 5.0 (merged) - Picks Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flagg is decent. Brooks is decent, but has been hurt. Frierson is playing really well.

Tbh, I think that McCloud and Jennings just arent that good.
I do to, personally I think this is the least talented defense we have had in a long time. Were strong at DE but that's just about it. It's hard to get a good read on the coaching from Baker and Patke this season. The defense has been decent but struggled at times. Is that because of a lack of talent or a lack of coaching? Difficult to tell in my opinion. I guess we will find out if Diaz fires anyone or not. Diaz might have some inefficiencies as a head coach but he will always do what's best for the team. If he truly believes the defense had issues due to coaching then he will make the changes

Advertisement
It seems as if Manny was just a bad evaluator/recruited slow footed/reacting LBs in his time...

Pat Joyner (now at DE)
Steed - Injuries
Jennings - Not good
Wilder - Injured

He also didn't sign a true LB in the 2018 class which is what hurts us alot now as well

The guys they've recruited since seem to have way more potential, just need time since most are Fresh or Soph

Brooks
Huff
TAC
Flagg

You can also look at it as Diaz adapting and realizing he needed to change his LB recruiting philosophy. I see a lot of promise in the new LBs. For LBs, Instincts > measurables. Coaches can evolve, believe it or not.

For example, Rumph could theoretically decide he wants dogs at CB, regardless of size and get top players from the local area even if undersized. It's unlikely that he will change so he'll continue to take wild swings and misses for players with NFL measurables that bag schools also want.

I agree with others that this years squad doesn't have as much talent as previous ones, but my goodness look at the elite talent at DT, S, and Striker that is already committed, which is complimented by the good young talent at LB and DE already on the rooster. CB is the one glaring weak spot IMO. I know lots will disagree here but I think Diaz knows Miami has failed at recruiting CBs. Since Rumph flopped with signing true CBs, instead of reaching to get an athlete with the measurables Rumph wants to see and hoping he turns into a productive CB in year 3, Diaz is going to plug that hole with portal CBs. Obviously it's a band aid fix but that's the best he can do at this point. Long term, Rumph is going to be replaced with a better recruiter. Id like for this to have happened last year, but maybe so much change on both sides of the ball was too much for a new coach, so he is fixing the problem in consecutive years.

Last edited:
I do to, personally I think this is the least talented defense we have had in a long time. Were strong at DE but that's just about it. It's hard to get a good read on the coaching from Baker and Patke this season. The defense has been decent but struggled at times. Is that because of a lack of talent or a lack of coaching? Difficult to tell in my opinion. I guess we will find out if Diaz fires anyone or not. Diaz might have some inefficiencies as a head coach but he will always do what's best for the team. If he truly believes the defense had issues due to coaching then he will make the changes
Totally agree.

Even the DL is inconsistent as ****.

2021 Defense could be most talented 2 Deep we've had in years

DE - Harvey - Chantz Williams
DT - Nesta - Roberts/Miller
DT - JHH - Taylor
DE - Cam Williams - Q. Williams/Blissett

LB - Brooks - T2
LB - Huff - TAC

Striker - Frierson - James Williams

CB - Couch - Blades
CB - Ivey

S - Bolden - Avante Williams
S - Gurvan - James Williams

Advertisement
Defenses this season just have a harder time because of covid. Even Bama struggled for some time.

DT - JHH - Taylor

LB - Brooks - T2
LB - Huff - TAC

CB - Couch - Blades
CB - Ivey

Kam Kinchens is better than Avantae, don't let the rankings fool you

DT - JHH - Taylor

LB - Brooks - T2
LB - Huff - TAC

CB - Couch - Blades
CB - Ivey

Why Huff? The dude hasn’t played anything but special teams. He’s a bust.

Advertisement
Another elite LB who doesn’t want to come to Miami or like the staff?
bill murray comedy GIF

Advertisement
LB recruiting is a bigger issue than LB coaching. Are Branden Jennings and Zach McCloud playing much better with different coaches? Shaq and Pickney played pretty good with the same guys.

One of the things that hurt development this year is the shortened spring and offseason. Guys like Huff and Cave really needed that time.
This.

I think the staff legit got everything they could have out of Pink and Shaq.... while seemingly doing the best they could with McCloud and Jennings while trying to get the younger faster kids up to speed.

Brooks has looked great in flashes and seems to be close to the light bulb going off...

DT - JHH - Taylor

LB - Brooks - T2
LB - Huff - TAC

CB - Couch - Blades
CB - Ivey

This is a solid listing, but I would say there are two corrections to be made.

1. Avantae/Williams/Kitchens will unseat Hall.
2. Flagg will be our starter at Mike LB.

Advertisement
He has been eligible to play for a total of 8 games. I’m not saying he is a future all American, but I’m also not enough of a miserable dimwit to call him a bust.
The guy has been a part of this program for two seasons now. The players from his recruiting class on our team are in the rotation except for the players that suck. He’s on the same trajectory as them. Hate to say it because he was expected to start and make an impact after we lost Shaq and Pinck but he’s been passed by.
And your ad hominem approach is uncalled for. Be a man and have an intelligent conversation without resorting to name calling like a child. Grow up.

So a redshirt freshman who didn’t show up until a week or two before the opener last year and did not have a spring this year is a bust? Ok then. This should be good.
He’s been in the program for two seasons. 90% of his recruiting class is in the rotation. He’s been passed by. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back