TerrEnce not TerrAnce Lewis 1.0 - 5.0 (merged) - Picks Maryland

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a season ticket holder for 40 years and this is the closest thing I've seen to the truth about the Butch years. I used to hate when he would push is bangs constantly away from his eyes when things weren't going right.

The problem is the majority of posters who only remember the glory didn’t sit through the pain it took to get there.

You don't watch years of mind numbing penalties, horrible clock management and all the rest of the “on the job training” it took for that finished product to arrive then forget it later.

Done with this topic, no thread detailing from me.

Advertisement
I still want him unless he legit gets in trouble now or he gets in trouble while here.

I don't care about what ifs or cursing at the cops. **** I have done that before when I was young so.....I don't think cursing at the cops or anyone can really do damage especially if u young and dumb. Either the light comes on or comes off.....I wouldn't be as desperate for an elite linebacker if our first round talent like Jennings and Flagg were taking care of business.

They relaxed on linebackers and now we are desperate that's on the coaches.
I agree, who doesn’t get ****ed when your car is being towed. As long as he wasn’t arrested.

I don't hate Butch. I was there every week win or lose, a hard core supporter during the sanctions because I understood what he was going through. I was crushed when he left.

What I hate is the revisionist history some here continue to write about his tenure here.

He didn't minimize sanctions. We were terrible during sanctions. He recruited masterfully coming out of them, developing the greatest team ever. But he never outschemed anyone here during the tough times. He struggled constantly, barely beating truly terrible teams and got beat and most of the time spanked, by just about every good one.

Once he got this roster he needed, he started dominating. But not a day before that.

You sound silly.

Advertisement
Lol but the board said he trespassed on somebody’s property. Hehehe

Don’t worry mods I ain’t answering any responses.

Seriously? You think these two things are mutually exclusive?

Stop being dopey.

I don't hate Butch. I was there every week win or lose, a hard core supporter during the sanctions because I understood what he was going through. I was crushed when he left.

What I hate is the revisionist history some here continue to write about his tenure here.

He didn't minimize sanctions. We were terrible during sanctions. He recruited masterfully coming out of them, developing the greatest team ever. But he never outschemed anyone here during the tough times. He struggled constantly, barely beating truly terrible teams and got beat and most of the time spanked, by just about every good one.

Once he got this roster he needed, he started dominating. But not a day before that.

You honestly do not know what you are talking about. Butch absolutely minimized sanctions. The "we were terrible" is a completely separate issue, but you are going to be a hard-headed heel-digger on this.

Tell us how he got Andre King to UM. Everyone knows about Joaquin Gonzalez. Why don't you tell us about the other "walk-ons"?

And, yes, Butch tried to sign a kid as a track recruit (it was NOT NOT NOT Santana Moss, who was a regular walk-on, though he did run track as well). The track kid never amounted to anything.

Nobody said that Butch got all 31 scholarships back. But he definitely minimized the impact of sanctions on our roster size. AND he played freshmen. AND we lost. PLUS Butch suspended/expelled a half-dozen players (I listed them in a different post). PLUS Marlin Barnes was murdered.

That's not "revisionist history". That's just history. Actual facts.

And STOP LYING about "during sanctions" and "coming out of them". We had scholarship losses 1996-1997 (thirteen) AND 1997-1998 (eleven), and we had previously self-imposed seven scholarship reductions for 1995-1996.

You have pulled this same ****e before...acted as if sanctions suddenly "ended" in 1998-99 and that there was no lingering impact. That, somehow, the 1998-1999 season was complete perfection because "probation was over", and that there was "no excuse" to lose games. And stop acting as if we signed 85 kids in 1999 to fill in all our spots.

Just a few years ago, no penalty on the NCAA books elicited more fear from coaches than severe scholarship cuts. Butch Davis led the chorus at the University of Miami in 1997 when, two years after learning that the Hurricanes had lost 31 initial scholarships, he likened the sanction to "half of the death penalty" in a reference to the shutdown of SMU's program a decade earlier.

Phillip Buchanon
Even with deep scholarship cuts, the Hurricanes stayed a step ahead of the competition by bolstering their recruiting of the nation's top talent.

Now, half-death doesn't look half-bad.

Unranked after a dismal '97 season, the Hurricanes climbed back into college football's top 20 the next year and have not stopped moving upward since. They are national championship contenders for the second year in a row, despite three smaller-than-usual recruiting classes in the late '90s -- the last of which include members of the current No. 1-ranked team.

"It can pay off down the road," Miami athletics director Paul Dee now says of scholarship cuts. "You have to play a lot of freshman at first, but three years down the road they've got a lot of experience."

The Miami example provides hope for Alabama and Kentucky as they await decisions on their penalties -- and a challenge for an NCAA Committee on Infractions that says it hasn't given up on meaningful sanctions. In lieu of TV and bowl bans, scholarship cuts have become the favored punishment. But the Hurricanes and other programs have become savvy at countering the impact of even the largest cuts.

In its proposal to the NCAA, Kentucky suggested that its program lose 19 scholarships. Alabama, which has not made public what it has proposed to the NCAA as a penalty, reportedly has proposed no more than 20 scholarship cuts.

"Cutting scholarships really is just a small rap on the wrist," said Tom Lemming, a recruiting analyst. "If you really want to get a school for cheating, ban them from bowls for a couple years. Then kids won't want to come."

Dee defends scholarship cuts as "a good penalty." But, he said, "you can work through it and minimize the impact."

Last 10 with at least 10
Teams can give out a maximum of 25 scholarships to recruits each year as long as they do not exceed the total roster maximum of 85 scholarships. Here are the most recent Division I-A football teams to receive NCAA sanctions that included a reduction of at least 10 initial scholarships, and whether there were any accompanying limits on total team scholarships.
Team, year penalizedScholarship cutsTotal limit
Wisconsin, 200110 over 2 years83 in '01,
84 in '02,
84 in '03
Texas Tech, 199818 over 3 years80
UTEP, 199710 over 3 years84 in '96,
79 in '97,
81 in '98
Miss. St., 199613 over 1 year80
Miami, 199531 over 3 years80
Alabama, 199513 over 1 year81
Ole Miss, 199424 over 2 yearsNo reduction
Washington, 199420 over 2 yearsNo reduction
Oklahoma State15 over 3 yearsNo reduction
Oklahoma, 198814 over 2 yearsNo reduction
Cases since SMU: SEC | Big Ten | Pac-10 | Big 12 | ACC | WAC | Big East | C-USA | Others | By Year
Sources: NCAA infractions database, ESPN.com research

Techniques used by Miami and other programs in recent years:

Avoid large reduction in total scholarship level: Ordinarily, schools are allowed to sign as many as 25 players each year as long as they don't exceed the cap of 85 total team scholarships. The NCAA sanctions on Miami meant that its recruiting classes over a three-year period were reduced by a potential of 31 scholarships -- a loss of seven in 1995, 13 the following year, and 11 the year after that.

But the NCAA did not place a low ceiling on the number of total scholarships the team could offer to all players. The infractions committee set a cap of 80 total scholarships, just five below the NCAA maximum.

The smaller recruiting classes ended up having the effect of reducing the overall number of total scholarship players for a while. At one point, the team had as few as 70 players on scholarship, Dee said. But without an onerous cap on total scholarships, Miami was able to use a variety of creative strategies to build their total numbers back up and make the team competitive again.

So far, the NCAA has been reluctant to set significant restrictions in total scholarships. The lowest that it has set the cap for any team in the past decade is 79 scholarships.

Bolster recruiting: Already blessed with being located in one of the richest recruiting areas in the country, Miami increased its budget for recruiting. The new money allowed coaches to recruit in more distant locales, and evaluate and impress prospects with more intensity.

"When recruiting, you have to make sure the quality is superb," Dee said. "If you usually bring in 23 or 24 people a year and hope that yields 12 starters, now (a higher percentage) of the players you do recruit have to end up as starters. There's no room for error. Butch and his staff did a great job at that."

Alabama lost 13 scholarships in a 1995 case and never fully recovered, going 34-26 over the next five seasons. But Tide watchers say it's up for debate whether the falloff was due primarily to scholarship cuts or the coaching of Mike DuBose, who was unable to turn well-regarded recruiting classes into national champions.

Cultivate walk-ons: They aren't all as athletically challenged as Rudy, of Hollywood lore. Joaquin Gonzalez, an offensive lineman for Miami, was Big East rookie of the year in 1998. Last season, about a dozen walk-ons saw playing time for the Hurricanes, who have a relatively small walk-on program due to the high cost of private-school tuition.

Last edited:
I've been a season ticket holder for 40 years and this is the closest thing I've seen to the truth about the Butch years. I used to hate when he would push is bangs constantly away from his eyes when things weren't going right.

Congrats for keeping your eyes closed for 40 years.

Advertisement
You honestly do not know what you are talking about. Butch absolutely minimized sanctions. The "we were terrible" is a completely separate issue, but you are going to be a hard-headed heel-digger on this.

Tell us how he got Andre King to UM. Everyone knows about Joaquin Gonzalez. Why don't you tell us about the other "walk-ons"?

And, yes, Butch tried to sign a kid as a track recruit (it was NOT NOT NOT Santana Moss, who was a regular walk-on, though he did run track as well). The track kid never amounted to anything.

Nobody said that Butch got all 31 scholarships back. But he definitely minimized the impact of sanctions on our roster size. AND he played freshmen. AND we lost. PLUS Butch suspended/expelled a half-dozen players (I listed them in a different post). PLUS Marlin Barnes was murdered.

And STOP LYING about "during sanctions" and "coming out of them". We had scholarship losses 1996-1997 (thirteen) AND 1997-1998 (eleven), and we had previously self-imposed seven scholarship reductions for 1995-1996.

You have pulled this same ****e before...acted as if sanctions suddenly "ended" in 1998-99 and that there was no lingering impact. That, somehow, the 1998-1999 season was complete perfection because "probation was over", and that there was "no excuse" to lose games. And stop acting as if we signed 85 kids in 1999 to fill in all our spots.

Just a few years ago, no penalty on the NCAA books elicited more fear from coaches than severe scholarship cuts. Butch Davis led the chorus at the University of Miami in 1997 when, two years after learning that the Hurricanes had lost 31 initial scholarships, he likened the sanction to "half of the death penalty" in a reference to the shutdown of SMU's program a decade earlier.

Phillip Buchanon
Even with deep scholarship cuts, the Hurricanes stayed a step ahead of the competition by bolstering their recruiting of the nation's top talent.

Unranked after a dismal '97 season, the Hurricanes climbed back into college football's top 20 the next year and have not stopped moving upward since. They are national championship contenders for the second year in a row, despite three smaller-than-usual recruiting classes in the late '90s -- the last of which include members of the current No. 1-ranked team.

"It can pay off down the road," Miami athletics director Paul Dee now says of scholarship cuts. "You have to play a lot of freshman at first, but three years down the road they've got a lot of experience."

The Miami example provides hope for Alabama and Kentucky as they await decisions on their penalties -- and a challenge for an NCAA Committee on Infractions that says it hasn't given up on meaningful sanctions. In lieu of TV and bowl bans, scholarship cuts have become the favored punishment. But the Hurricanes and other programs have become savvy at countering the impact of even the largest cuts.

In its proposal to the NCAA, Kentucky suggested that its program lose 19 scholarships. Alabama, which has not made public what it has proposed to the NCAA as a penalty, reportedly has proposed no more than 20 scholarship cuts.

"Cutting scholarships really is just a small rap on the wrist," said Tom Lemming, a recruiting analyst. "If you really want to get a school for cheating, ban them from bowls for a couple years. Then kids won't want to come."

Dee defends scholarship cuts as "a good penalty." But, he said, "you can work through it and minimize the impact."

Last 10 with at least 10
Teams can give out a maximum of 25 scholarships to recruits each year as long as they do not exceed the total roster maximum of 85 scholarships. Here are the most recent Division I-A football teams to receive NCAA sanctions that included a reduction of at least 10 initial scholarships, and whether there were any accompanying limits on total team scholarships.
84 in '02,
84 in '03
79 in '97,
81 in '98
Cases since SMU: SEC | Big Ten | Pac-10 | Big 12 | ACC | WAC | Big East | C-USA | Others | By Year

Avoid large reduction in total scholarship level: Ordinarily, schools are allowed to sign as many as 25 players each year as long as they don't exceed the cap of 85 total team scholarships. The NCAA sanctions on Miami meant that its recruiting classes over a three-year period were reduced by a potential of 31 scholarships -- a loss of seven in 1995, 13 the following year, and 11 the year after that.

But the NCAA did not place a low ceiling on the number of total scholarships the team could offer to all players. The infractions committee set a cap of 80 total scholarships, just five below the NCAA maximum.

The smaller recruiting classes ended up having the effect of reducing the overall number of total scholarship players for a while. At one point, the team had as few as 70 players on scholarship, Dee said. But without an onerous cap on total scholarships, Miami was able to use a variety of creative strategies to build their total numbers back up and make the team competitive again.

So far, the NCAA has been reluctant to set significant restrictions in total scholarships. The lowest that it has set the cap for any team in the past decade is 79 scholarships.

Bolster recruiting: Already blessed with being located in one of the richest recruiting areas in the country, Miami increased its budget for recruiting. The new money allowed coaches to recruit in more distant locales, and evaluate and impress prospects with more intensity.

"When recruiting, you have to make sure the quality is superb," Dee said. "If you usually bring in 23 or 24 people a year and hope that yields 12 starters, now (a higher percentage) of the players you do recruit have to end up as starters. There's no room for error. Butch and his staff did a great job at that."

Alabama lost 13 scholarships in a 1995 case and never fully recovered, going 34-26 over the next five seasons. But Tide watchers say it's up for debate whether the falloff was due primarily to scholarship cuts or the coaching of Mike DuBose, who was unable to turn well-regarded recruiting classes into national champions.

Cultivate walk-ons: They aren't all as athletically challenged as Rudy, of Hollywood lore. Joaquin Gonzalez, an offensive lineman for Miami, was Big East rookie of the year in 1998. Last season, about a dozen walk-ons saw playing time for the Hurricanes, who have a relatively small walk-on program due to the high cost of private-school tuition.

You have the most irrational sense of self importance I’ve ever seen.

Go talk into a mirror doofus, he’s literally the only person on earth who cares about your 10,000 word ramblings.

Advertisement

Phillip Buchanon

Last 10 with at least 10
84 in '02,
84 in '03
79 in '97,
81 in '98

TLDR

Phillip Buchanon

Last 10 with at least 10
84 in '02,
84 in '03
79 in '97,
81 in '98

Well Okay then....I love Truth....not made up BS throughout the yrs....

Advertisement
My buddy is Miami PD and apparently Lewis had a run-in with police the other day.
Got his car towed then got aggressive with the cops. Cursing, threatening, etc. It almost got out-of-hand.

Maybe he had a legit gripe and was ****ed at the injustice of getting his car towed for some bs stuff like an expired meter and having to pay $400 to get it out of lockup.

I had it happen to me, lived in a small apt complex for 4 years, the security guards all knew the car was mine, temporarily parked in a guest parking spot so my wife could pull into driveway when she got home, and I forgot to move the car. Rather than putting a warning sticker on the car (which they have the discretion to do), some jacka$$ guard called a tow truck and my wife and it ended up costing around $600 when you add up the cost of getting the car out of the tow lot plus the lost wages from my wife and I having to call into work t(his is in Hawaii, so I wouldn't be surprised if the tow truck driver was related to the guards and was giving them kickbacks).

Anyways, I can't say the kid is a problem unless I know the circumstances of why he was angry with the police. Some cops are douches will go out of their way to ruin someone's day by calling a tow truck rather than giving a warning or citation.

Oh lord, another Butch-hater who is going to obsess over losses to F$U and VaTech while Miami was WRECKED with 31 scholarship losses, multiple player suspensions, and one player was murdered.

Plus, F$U won a national championship during that time.

But, yeah, let's hate on Butch some more for losing to two powerful rivals when Miami was at its weakest.

you could never really appreciate what Butch had to deal with till you saw the sideline at the end of the 1997 season, where we literally had under 55 players. It showed you just how much work had to be done. Forget the sanctions -- and it's impact which you outlined, well -- but the fact that Erickson's recruiting really left a huge hole in terms of talent outside of a few really good guys (like Ray Lewis, Kennard Lang, Kenny Holmes). Then you had teams negatively recruiting stuff like the Marlin Barnes murder for all it's worth

I had my issues with Butch (mainly his game day management and his constant flirting with other jobs) but he did an incredible job in rebuilding this program. I just wish he wasn't in such a rush to leave for an NFL job. It totally changed his coaching legacy -- and we got stuck with Coker

Lose, lose for everyone

you could never really appreciate what Butch had to deal with till you saw the sideline at the end of the 1997 season, where we literally had under 55 players. It showed you just how much work had to be done. Forget the sanctions -- and it's impact which you outlined, well -- but the fact that Erickson's recruiting really left a huge hole in terms of talent outside of a few really good guys (like Ray Lewis, Kennard Lang, Kenny Holmes). Then you had teams negatively recruiting stuff like the Marlin Barnes murder for all it's worth

I had my issues with Butch (mainly his game day management and his constant flirting with other jobs) but he did an incredible job in rebuilding this program. I just wish he wasn't in such a rush to leave for an NFL job. It totally changed his coaching legacy -- and we got stuck with Coker

Lose, lose for everyone

Excellent post sir.

Yeah, you still have a strong point about the need to play freshmen back then. There were also some kids that Butch booted/suspended:

Jammi German
James Burgess
Jeff Taylor
Ricky Perry
Derrick Ham

And, tragically, the murder of Marlin Barnes.

Wasn't Al Shipman part of this group that also left?

Ham actually stuck around and had a decent 1998 season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back