Terrence Lewis decommits

No. Please see post on context and details of that team and program at that given time. Without that understanding then responding to me is basically pointless. It’s a waste of time

His win totals as a college HC are 9,9,6,9,9,11,4,8,8,8,8,9,6,0

Throw out the two outliers and he’s had “that team” his entire career.

Advertisement
That was a massive recruiting coup for Butch. Top player in the country, and his recruitment was subject of massive attention. Yet, when he got into fall camp, it seemed that Jon Vilma, I believe, who was in the same class, was a bit ahead of DJ as a LB.

For a while that Concord La Salle program was the best in the country, yet I don't hear as much about it now. Sometimes I used to try to figure out the demographics of an area where the leading programs were. I tried to understand why a particular HS was so outstanding. I thought maybe the Concord area was probably substantially heavily blue collar, perhaps because of a large Toyota plant in the town.

I don't know if I was right. I don't read as much about Concord now. There were some other good players who came out of Concord around DJ's time. We never got any others from that area. We also had Ken Dorsey from northern California (Miramonte) about that time.

Now it is getting harder to understand what makes certain high school programs good. There are the IMG's where kids come from everywhere to play. Others like Jake Garcia go across the country for HS. (Why Georgia, in particular, I don't really know, but it worked). It's interesting how Georgia has become a hotbed of quarterbacking.

I think Georgia was the choice for Garcia because it appeared very likely they would play HS football at that time. That wasn't the case for most states so early in the summer. Plus the high level of competition was a draw, I'm sure.

His win totals as a college HC are 9,9,6,9,9,11,4,8,8,8,8,9,6,0

Throw out the two outliers and he’s had “that team” his entire career.
This response makes no sense in the context of UNC and my post.Youre not able to respond in details about that team, how the program was building at that time, and the context of what they were becoming pre-scandal. Nor are you smart enough to understand how good of a season they actually had in his last one with 11 two deep guys suspended either all or majority of the season (some of them NFLers). Without understanding those details it is a waste of time.

And lol at downplaying what he had at Miami given the horrific sanctions he had to get through before building the greatest roster and team of all time before leaving to cash in on it (11 wins was about to be an influential point ;) ) Too funny. Your pal is even worse in responding though: bringing up our season and FIU like a drugged up toothless hooker so I’ll give you a pass.

Last edited:
This response makes no sense in the context of UNC and my post.Youre not able to respond in details about that team, how the program was building at that time, and the context of what they were becoming pre-scandal. Nor are you smart enough to understand how good of a season they actually had in his last one with 11 two deep guys suspended either all or majority of the season (some of them NFLers). Without understanding those details it is a waste of time.

And lol at downplaying what he had at Miami given the horrific sanctions he had to get through before building the greatest roster and team of all time before leaving to cash in on it (11 wins was about to be an influential point ;) ) Too funny. Your pal is even worse in responding though: bringing up our season and FIU like a drugged up toothless hooker so I’ll give you a pass.

Lmao.

He’s won double digit games once in 18 seasons as a HC. But anyone who can’t see that 3rd year UNC team, with nfl guys was gonna make the big leap isn’t smart.

How’s this for context:

In year three he struggled to beat UCONN 12-10 and lost to NC State, FSU, Pitt, Georgia Tech & Virginia by a score of 16-3.

Yeah only an idiot believes that team wasn’t poised for greatness.

Lmao.

He’s won double digit games once in 18 seasons as a HC. But anyone who can’t see that 3rd year UNC team, with nfl guys was gonna make the big leap isn’t smart.

How’s this for context:

In year three he struggled to beat UCONN 12-10 and lost to NC State, FSU, Pitt, Georgia Tech & Virginia by a score of 16-3.

Yeah only an idiot believes that team wasn’t poised for greatness.

No idiot here.

Again he inherited a Miami team with heavy sanctions and major scholarship reductions still winning 9 games multiple times before all the young studs and a full roster finally was maturing in his last year here: see 11 wins. That’s called context. He held this program together still almost winning ten games multiple times. He gift wrapped a national
Championship program to arguably the worst division 1 coach in the country for the next two years. Nice try ignoring context.

He inherited a UNC program that was in the toilet. Only Duke was worse and had won 3 wins barely the prior year and had almost no talent. In year three they were underclassmen heavy and three of their losses came at the very end of the game.

In year 4 they were returning everyone and a lot of guys who took their lumps (sound familiar) with guys like Robert Quinn, Quinton Coples, etc. with a roster of a lot more upperclassmen and maturing NFL draft picks. Facts are facts my man. They had 13 guys suspended for LSU (lost a close one), 5 kicked off the team (2 deep guys) and 3 more suspended the majority of the season. I think three 2 deep guys missed multiple games and they still won 8 games despite the suspensions and being in a scandal nationally all year long. That was easily their best team since mack browns pre Texas top ten teams and he was building the same program (also breaking weight room and speed records that stood for years) there based on the guys that would eventually get drafted relative to prior years.

lol at comparing fedoras peak to Butch. fedora finished at the bottom of the acc two years in a row before being fired as a young coach with plenty of hc seasoning elsewhere. Butch built programs. The scandal destroyed UNCs momentum.

You also badly fail to understand what he inherited and had to rebuild at Miami, and what he inherited at UNC and had to rebuild. He has never once inherited a program in a remotely good situation. Even at FIU before this covid nightmare he had the best overall winning percentage at easily a top 5 horrible d1 job as basically a retiree.

Context matters. And details do too.

Advertisement
No idiot here.

Again he inherited a Miami team with heavy sanctions and major scholarship reductions still winning 9 games multiple times before all the young studs and a full roster finally was maturing in his last year here: see 11 wins. That’s called context. He held this program together still almost winning ten games multiple times. He gift wrapped a national
Championship program to arguably the worst division 1 coach in the country for the next two years. Nice try ignoring context.

He inherited a UNC program that was in the toilet. Only Duke was worse and had won 3 wins barely the prior year and had almost no talent. In year three they were underclassmen heavy and three of their losses came at the very end of the game.

In year 4 they were returning everyone and a lot of guys who took their lumps (sound familiar) with guys like Robert Quinn, Quinton Coples, etc. with a roster of a lot more upperclassmen and maturing NFL draft picks. Facts are facts my man. They had 13 guys suspended for LSU (lost a close one), 5 kicked off the team (2 deep guys) and 3 more suspended the majority of the season. I think three 2 deep guys missed multiple games and they still won 8 games despite the suspensions and being in a scandal nationally all year long. That was easily their best team since mack browns pre Texas top ten teams and he was building the same program (also breaking weight room and speed records that stood for years) there based on the guys that would eventually get drafted relative to prior years.

lol at comparing fedoras peak to Butch. fedora finished at the bottom of the acc two years in a row before being fired as a young coach with plenty of hc seasoning elsewhere. Butch built programs. The scandal destroyed UNCs momentum.

You also badly fail to understand what he inherited and had to rebuild at Miami, and what he inherited at UNC and had to rebuild. He has never onlice inherited a program in a remotely good situation. Even at FIU before this covid nightmare he had the best overall winning percentage at easily a top 5 horrible d1 job as basically a retiree.

Context matters. And details do too.

Way to keep on point regarding context about THAT team. You managed to go back to UM sanctions and inexplicably bring Fedora into it.

Way to keep on point regarding context about THAT team. You managed to go back to UM sanctions and inexplicably bring Fedora into it.
Actually I did have context about that team discussing the talent, what they had coming back, what happened in year 3 up until that point which you got wrong, breaking strength and speed records as well. Should I add that they basically lost their four best players for the entire season, too? The extra Butch context was having to hear over and over your drivel about not enough ‘10 wins’. So I had to help you there with context as well because you offer nothing.

Fedora was brought up by your mongoloid brother, maybe, so I probably got you two confused. It’s pretty easy not to mix you all up, sometimes. :)

That was a massive recruiting coup for Butch. Top player in the country, and his recruitment was subject of massive attention. Yet, when he got into fall camp, it seemed that Jon Vilma, I believe, who was in the same class, was a bit ahead of DJ as a LB.

For a while that Concord La Salle program was the best in the country, yet I don't hear as much about it now. Sometimes I used to try to figure out the demographics of an area where the leading programs were. I tried to understand why a particular HS was so outstanding. I thought maybe the Concord area was probably substantially heavily blue collar, perhaps because of a large Toyota plant in the town.

I don't know if I was right. I don't read as much about Concord now. There were some other good players who came out of Concord around DJ's time. We never got any others from that area. We also had Ken Dorsey from northern California (Miramonte) about that time.

Now it is getting harder to understand what makes certain high school programs good. There are the IMG's where kids come from everywhere to play. Others like Jake Garcia go across the country for HS. (Why Georgia, in particular, I don't really know, but it worked). It's interesting how Georgia has become a hotbed of quarterbacking.
Gino and his brother were from Pinole which is that same neck of the woods. Dorsey was an East Bay kid like you mentioned. They had a legend for a coach and California has athletes growing on trees basically from San Francisco to the Mexican border.

DJ was a massive recruit but you are correct. Vilma played as a true frosh and was excellent. DJ played fullback and had a pivotal TD against UF in the Sugar Bowl. The following year DJ and Vilma played LB together. That Miami team that beat UF was loaded.

Saban didn’t dominate before Bama. Urban won at every school he’s been at

What a bizarre, and incorrect, comparison.

First, define "dominate". Saban won a national championship at LSU and then left a year later. That's like saying that Jimmy Johnson didn't "dominate" at Miami because he left after the 1988 season.

Then, Urban gets a pass for "winning at every school he's been at" (which Saban has as well). Setting aside Urban's moderate success at Bowling Green, he did not win a national title at Utah either. Thus, Urban, JUST LIKE SABAN, won titles at two schools. Yes, Urban's stays at UiF and Ohio Taint were both longer than Saban's time at LSU, but then Saban has had a longer tenure at Alabama than the SUM of Urban's years at both UiF and Ohio Taint.

The two are interchangeable. They both succeeded at four schools, winning national championships at two. And Saban hasn't had any "heart issues".

Advertisement
Confused Robert Downey Jr GIF

Happens a lot, and it might not have been a complete tear.
You can, but your mobility and (likely) speed are greatly limited. For a Dan Marino type quarterback...no great loss in performance. For a scrambling quarterback or one with a bad O-line, thats a killer.

this post and prior ones on UNC are 100% fact: UNC was about to become a perennial top 10 program. Even that last scandal year with all the suspensions they still had a great year and even almost beat LSU with like double digit starters or two deep guys gone. I remember watching the dline with Quinn, Coples, Austin, and that other guy whose name escapes me and they were monstrous. That front 7 was lethal. His only mistake outside of the hiring John Blake was i didn’t like Shoop as the OC hire. He was too conservative even for that era of football. Give that UNC team the offense they had last year and that’s a national championship winner.

Nonetheless, at that point in time where he was slowly building that program you could see big improvements each year.

Top 10 program? ****, they were pretty **** good under Mack and are doing fairly well under him the second time. Even Fedora managed more than Butch did in the win column, but I bet some will credit Butch for that.

Also, with the stuff that went down, you don't think some of the selling point to their recruiting success boiled down to one thing. We take care of you here. You don't have to worry, just come ball.

That's an attractive offer. Coaches don't live in bubbles. They might not know the exact in and out of everything, but you know **** well Butch knew some of what was going on. People defending the guy here think he didn't know a thing and that's preposterous. That's why he's never sniffed a major job again, then again there's his win / loss record as well.

He was exonerated. Please, they just couldn't pin it on him and he did a good job insulating himself from things. Point blank though, he knew what he was getting when he hired Blake. Everyone and their brother knew what Blake was about and there's no way Butch didn't.

Advertisement

I’ll chime in, since not only did I work down the street from Concord De La Salle, but my former co-worker’s son is an alum.

Concord is a mixed area: some very affluent, some trailer park/hella sketchy after dark. De La Dale’s success came from a great system. Ladouceur recruited all over Northern CA & got guys who wouldn’t normally been afforded an opportunity to attend such a prestigious private school, a chance. Once he got his players, he built systems around each player’s strengths, both on defense & offense.

The team start taking a hit on talent as tuitions rose in price (if I’m not mistaken, my co-worker said he spent a little over $80k on his son over 4 yrs) & neighboring schools began to become more inclined to keep their top players home. Once Ladouceur retired, the program wasn’t the same. The infrastructure is not what it once was. They still produce top tier students, but the caliber of athlete is not the same as they once was.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back