Team Stats 10-17-17

edge

Junior
A look inside the numbers is always fascinating to me.

The good
Total Offense: #20 .
When I first saw this had to take a double take. Had no idea we were ranked that high. With all the extended lulls we have had on that side of the ball it just shows how explosive we can be.

Rushing Offense: [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3]#3 7[/URL]
Pretty good ranking considering our top back is out and was basically hobbled for 2 games. A real testament to Homer working his tail off this offseason to be ready to step up.

Passing Offense: [URL=https://www.canesinsight.com/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=3]#3 2[/URL]
Rosier has surpassed all expectations. I don't think anyone predicted he would play at this level. Yes, he needs to improve his consistency. Look for that to improve over the season and this ranking to trend higher.

The bad
3rd Down Conversion Percentage: #97
Just horrible. Imagine if we were ranked around 50th. That means the offense stays on the field, we improve time of possession, and total Offense could easily be top 15.
How to fix:
Get Herndon involved earlier in the game.

Get Langham in the game. Everyone has fallen in love with his two game winning plays. But do not forget how dominant he has looked going over the middle. Said it before and I will say it again, this guy can be our Kelvin Benjamin.

Stop throwing back shoulder or jump ball fades on 3rd down. We need high percentage plays. Quick slants. Better route trees in general on 3rd down. Richt has to recognize this at this point in season. Basically 3rd and long has become 3rd and say a prayer with the plays we have been running. This is the area I will key in on this week.

Defense:
Total Defense: #46 . We continue to trend up as I predicted a few weeks ago. Hopefully we get healthier and stay that way. If we do, I see us as a top 25 defense by end of season.

Sacks per game: #5 . We dipped on this number due to GT never throwing the ball. The boys will be back against Syracuse. I have us getting 5+ sacks this game.

Tackles for loss: #3 . We still had 7 TFL against GT. This defense loves to eat.

The bad:
3rd Down Conversion: #81 . This stat has improved over the last few games. We got off to a horrible start defending on 3rd down. We should continue to improve here. Syracuse offense is #5 1 in 3rd down conversions. We should be able to handle them on 3rd down if recent trend continues.

Overall:
We are top 15 in turnover margin. Always a sign of a very good team.

What is holding this team back from being a dominant top 3 team is 3rd down conversion on Offense and Defense. If we can improve here and carry that over into next season, then look out folks!

Advertisement
Before the season I said Rosier would be one of the best QBs in the conference, and finish the season as an all ACC QB

There were a number of us singing his praises. I’ve always believed in that dude

We desperately need to improve our offense's RZ TD efficiency.
On defense, we actually have a very solid RZ TD stoppage %.
Apparently, we hit all our FGs and every opponent hits all their FGs on us, too.

Apparently, we hit all our FGs and every opponent hits all their FGs on us, too.

This. We would have won by two touchdowns last week if we had an effective plan inside the red zone. ****, even inside of the **** 10. It is concerning it feels like our best chance to score is when we’re at the 25. I think Richards coming back will Help this, though. Make things easier for everyone else inside the red zone.

Advertisement
Before the season I said Rosier would be one of the best QBs in the conference, and finish the season as an all ACC QB

There were a number of us singing his praises. I’ve always believed in that dude

It wouldn't kill the guy to show up in the first half... Don't get me wrong, he has won us some ball games and has ice water in his veins but my mental health would be much better off if we played all 4 quarters lol

Not sure why my post has spaces between the number rankings. But you get the drift.

We got to get creative down there, anybody see how the dolphins scored on ATL by sending WR in motion one way then doubling back the other ay at the snap... Walk in TD for them. Add stuff like that when you are 5 yards out.. the hardest place to score from right there.

One thing I see about our defense. We don't get outrun when they break out and we stiffen most of the times to prevent TD's.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
2016*Kaaya* Points Per Game
1st Half:15.8, never held scoreless (held to 1 FG twice), never scored 30
2nd Half:18.2 Scored over 30 once (FAMU).
Total PPG: 34

2017 Rosier PPG
1st Half: 12.8, held scoreless once (FSU)
2nd Half:21.8, scored over 30 once (BCU) Had at least 1 TD and 2 FG in every game (or 2 TD's).
Total PPG: 34.6

Not much of a difference....but I will mention this
2016 PPG against winning teams 29.6
2017 PPG against winning teams 36

are these based on total yards or averages per game? just curious, as we've played less overall games due to that hurricane.

Get Langham in the game. Everyone has fallen in love with his two game winning plays. But do not forget how dominant he has looked going over the middle. Said it before and I will say it again, this guy can be our Kelvin Benjamin.

My thoughts exactly!

Advertisement
Another thing to look at is Yards Per Play

Offense is 18th, averaging 6.5 yards per play. Defense also 18th at 4.6 yards per play. I like these efficiency numbers. I can also tell our offense looks much better between the 20's, so to Lu's point, we need to be better in the red zone. The GT game is probably an easy win if we convert 2/4 red zone trips into TDs.

Advertisement

3rd down too

It wouldn't kill the guy to show up in the first half... Don't get me wrong, he has won us some ball games and has ice water in his veins but my mental health would be much better off if we played all 4 quarters lol

Did you not watch the Duke game?

This team is growing up week to week, we have dealt with some injuries early that has set us back BUT WE CONTINUE TO WIN...

On offense, Miami got a new QB-Rosier, NOW a new RB-Homer, AR82 hasn't really played much and our OLine is restructured SO the OFFENSE is still learning and adjusting.. Now as for the DEFENSE, our front 7 has showed they up for any challenge!! And our secondary is dealing with injury, SO we are playing new guys there..

This team is not a full strength yet.. IF we can get by the injury bug, and get a full game on both sides of the ball THIS UM team could be a serious contender.. BUT it's all a grind, "One Week at a Time"!! Our Canes will put it together and that's when we will say "****" our Canes are for real!!

Advertisement
Back