Team Stats 10-17-17

Advertisement
You know, just because Rosier is throwing so many fades/go doesn't mean that's Richts fault. There are more WRs running routes on the play, and if the first option is covered its Rosiers job to get to the next guy. The problem is Rosier completely locks in on one WR the vast majority of the time. He's a one read QB. Second of all, we don't even know if those fades Rosier loves to throw incomplete are even the first read. They might just be doing it to clear our the db and hold the safety while another WR comes across....the problem is Rosier wants to go for the homerun every time, which is great. But you got to be smart with it, and you have to be accurate with it.

One Positive is we've been a pretty good team even with Rosier being kinda trash for 70% of the game, so if he can just take the next step, we can go far this year.

In the FSU game on the final drive, those two incompletions to Cager, Berrios was open on a square in. They flipped the routes on the next play and Rosier hit berrios on a square out that, luckily, Berrios broke a tackle and got a first down.

Exactly. Rosier is locking on and half of these guys don't actually watch the games,

The fact is that he didn't even see Berrios until CMR flipped the play. It was the same go route to Langham that he had just missed twice to Cager, only this time he saw Berrios wide open underneath. The problem was it was 3rd down and the clock was ticking. It worked out, but actually Berrios was the wrong read on that play. His route is a decoy to put Langham 1 on 1. I believe Richt say the same thing, so he called one run to Homer, then came right back to Langham who was, as predicted, 1 on 1 against the shorter McFadden.

Don't get me wrong. I love Rosier. Put Kaaya in that same situation and he either over throws the 6'5" Langham by 10 yards or he takes a sack. I just think before folks get all bent out of shape because Richt's not calling a bunch of complex route progressions or double motion fly sweeps, we might want to take a step back and remember our QB has played 5 games in this offense, and maybe, just maybe, hasn't learned all the routes and progressions or how to read coverages well enough to call a bunch of crossing routes.

Stop throwing back shoulder or jump ball fades on 3rd down. We need high percentage plays. Quick slants. Better route trees in general on 3rd down. Richt has to recognize this at this point in season. Basically 3rd and long has become 3rd and say a prayer with the plays we have been running. This is the area I will key in on this week.

THIS. I hate these low percentage plays. The goal is to get the first down. Not try and gain 25 yards on 3rd and 8. Get 9 yards and the first down. We should run the play that gives us the highest % chance of getting 9 yards. The back shoulder/jump balls are infuriating in this situation.

It was definitely concerning that Richt openly acknowledged the 4th down play was straight verticals. Too easy for a defense to defend. Why not let one of the receivers cut it off and run over the middle. With everyone else going vertical, there is a good chance the Safeties follow and leave the underneath wide open. I mean that's exactly what teams do to us on 3rd and long.

go back and watch that play. Berrios was coming wide open over the middle of the field. Rosier was the one who decided to throw it into double coverage.

Ive seen plenty of routes over the middle on 3rd down and Rosier not hit them. Yet its Richts fault.

Same as the fades. Rosier doesn't HAVE to throw those and tbh the players need to come down with balls that hit their hands.

But Rosier ultimately is making the decision to throw those balls.

I charted plenty of routes going over the middle that rosier did not see or throw too.

I highly doubt Richt is wanting rosier to throw it 40 yards downfield on 3rd and short.

Not doubting you man and no I have not reviewed the play. But in the post game presser, Richt himself said he called 4 verticals.

If I recall correctly we were in A Shotgun Doubles look and it was only 3 verts as the TE and RB stayed in to block.

Berrios running up the seam leaning towards the middle of the field

Last edited:
Advertisement
You know, just because Rosier is throwing so many fades/go doesn't mean that's Richts fault. There are more WRs running routes on the play, and if the first option is covered its Rosiers job to get to the next guy. The problem is Rosier completely locks in on one WR the vast majority of the time. He's a one read QB. Second of all, we don't even know if those fades Rosier loves to throw incomplete are even the first read. They might just be doing it to clear our the db and hold the safety while another WR comes across....the problem is Rosier wants to go for the homerun every time, which is great. But you got to be smart with it, and you have to be accurate with it.

One Positive is we've been a pretty good team even with Rosier being kinda trash for 70% of the game, so if he can just take the next step, we can go far this year.

In the FSU game on the final drive, those two incompletions to Cager, Berrios was open on a square in. They flipped the routes on the next play and Rosier hit berrios on a square out that, luckily, Berrios broke a tackle and got a first down.

Exactly. Rosier is locking on and half of these guys don't actually watch the games,

The fact is that he didn't even see Berrios until CMR flipped the play. It was the same go route to Langham that he had just missed twice to Cager, only this time he saw Berrios wide open underneath. The problem was it was 3rd down and the clock was ticking. It worked out, but actually Berrios was the wrong read on that play. His route is a decoy to put Langham 1 on 1. I believe Richt say the same thing, so he called one run to Homer, then came right back to Langham who was, as predicted, 1 on 1 against the shorter McFadden.

Don't get me wrong. I love Rosier. Put Kaaya in that same situation and he either over throws the 6'5" Langham by 10 yards or he takes a sack. I just think before folks get all bent out of shape because Richt's not calling a bunch of complex route progressions or double motion fly sweeps, we might want to take a step back and remember our QB has played 5 games in this offense, and maybe, just maybe, hasn't learned all the routes and progressions or how to read coverages well enough to call a bunch of crossing routes.

See its hard to explain that to these dolts who don't understand context. They keep regurgitating the same crap over and over instead of wondering why Richt, with all of his knowledge, isn't employing these concepts. Rosier is also wildly inaccurate and his nerves don't settle until the end of the 2nd quarter,

Last edited:
Great post.

I fully agree that using Homer and Herndon more aggressively will definitely help our 3rd down percentage.

Our 3rd down calling has been very disappointing especially with all the guys capable of gaining 6 or 7 yards. Rosier can run, Berrios gets open, Homer runs hard as ****, Herndon is a load. No excuses really.

Richards obviously is a huge wild card in everything offense-related

Rosier gets more accurate the more intense the situation, and I love it. My ******* was taking bites out of my couch against FSU, but I'm glad he's our QB. He reminds me of a closer the Braves used to have. Couldn't hit the catcher until he'd walked the bases loaded. Then he'd start slinging 100 mph BB's. Mark Wholers.

[Post I had after GT]

I think it is clear the serious issues are on offense. The defense is NOT perfect. They have issues too. They're clearly doing a pretty good job and look at what they have done during ACC play (this year):

Duke

Points Allowed: 6
Yards Allowed: 349
Turnovers Forced: 2
Sacks: 6
Tackles For Loss: 11

FSU

Points Allowed: 20
Yards Allowed: 406
Sacks: 4
Tackles For Loss: 9

Georgia Tech

Points Allowed: 17 (that onside kick is not on the D)
Yards Allowed: 289 (Before today they averaged 479 YPG and 36.5 PPG)
Turnovers Forced: 0
Sacks: 2
Tackles For Loss: 7

So in ACC Play (so far) [Per Game Average]

Points Allowed: 14.34
Yards Allowed: 348
Turnovers Forced: 1.34

If you're only allowing less than 15 PPG and 350 YPG, it isn't hard to win games.

Advertisement
2016*Kaaya* Points Per Game
1st Half:15.8, never held scoreless (held to 1 FG twice), never scored 30
2nd Half:18.2 Scored over 30 once (FAMU).
Total PPG: 34

2017 Rosier PPG
1st Half: 12.8, held scoreless once (FSU)
2nd Half:21.8, scored over 30 once (BCU) Had at least 1 TD and 2 FG in every game (or 2 TD's).
Total PPG: 34.6

Not much of a difference....but I will mention this
2016 PPG against winning teams 29.6
2017 PPG against winning teams 36

considering we just won 2 games by a total of 5 points, then yes definitely worth mentioning. great improvement by offense, malik adds another dimension

[Post I had after GT]

I think it is clear the serious issues are on offense. The defense is NOT perfect. They have issues too. They're clearly doing a pretty good job and look at what they have done during ACC play (this year):

Duke

Points Allowed: 6
Yards Allowed: 349
Sacks: 6
Tackles For Loss: 11

FSU

Points Allowed: 20
Yards Allowed: 406

Georgia Tech

Points Allowed: 17 (that onside kick is not on the D)
Yards Allowed: 289 (Before today they averaged 479 YPG and 36.5 PPG)
Turnovers Forced: 0
Sacks: 2
Tackles For Loss: 7

So in ACC Play (so far) [Per Game Average]

Points Allowed: 14.34
Yards Allowed: 348
Turnovers Forced: 1.34

If you're only allowing less than 15 PPG and 350 YPG, it isn't hard to win games.

yeah i feel like toledo got a lot of garbage yards on us and those 30 points they put up are really skewing our defense. other than that game and GT first quarter we've been pretty lights out on D for the most part

The 2nd redzone opportunity Rosier has Berrios coming out of his break across the middle for a 1st down. He decides to throw a fade to harley. That he should have caught. Looking at each 3rd down and redzone play there were some verts called and also a lot of 1st down routes as well. Rosier gotta chill on the gunslingin

Advertisement
Richt is calling games to limit the scenarios in which Rosier can throw an interception

Maybe he should run the ball more with the guy who is dominating?

I mean, you're right, but also Homer carried 20 times for 170 yards. How many catches did he have on top of that? So how many touches are we going to give our only remaining trustworthy RB? How much more can we really ask of this guy? In the ACCCG (should we be fortunate enough to get there), sure, get him the ball 50 times as long as it's working, but we have a lot of games left to play and need to keep Travis alive.

The bad
3rd Down Conversion Percentage: #97
Just horrible. Imagine if we were ranked around 50th. That means the offense stays on the field, we improve time of possession, and total Offense could easily be top 15.
How to fix:
Get Herndon involved earlier in the game.

Get Langham in the game. Everyone has fallen in love with his two game winning plays. But do not forget how dominant he has looked going over the middle. Said it before and I will say it again, this guy can be our Kelvin Benjamin.

Stop throwing back shoulder or jump ball fades on 3rd down. We need high percentage plays. Quick slants. Better route trees in general on 3rd down. Richt has to recognize this at this point in season. Basically 3rd and long has become 3rd and say a prayer with the plays we have been running. This is the area I will key in on this week.

Amen to all of this, especially the bolded.

Langham's do-or-die fourth down catch was a terrible play call. As you stated, that route combination (everybody go vertical) was merely a prayer. Richt should have some third-and-long go-to plays, high probability passes, something that maybe finds Berrios in space or Langham in the middle of the field. Luckily, and as you also mentioned, Langham has been remarkably reliable outside of his game-winning catches.

It's strange to me that Richt regularly goes to that four-vert call on big downs and even talks about it in his press conference.

Richt actually said in the post game presser that he thought Rosier should have gone to another receiver on that exact play. The real issue is that Rosier appears to decide where he is going before the play develops.

Advertisement
The bad
3rd Down Conversion Percentage: #97
Just horrible. Imagine if we were ranked around 50th. That means the offense stays on the field, we improve time of possession, and total Offense could easily be top 15.
How to fix:
Get Herndon involved earlier in the game.

Get Langham in the game. Everyone has fallen in love with his two game winning plays. But do not forget how dominant he has looked going over the middle. Said it before and I will say it again, this guy can be our Kelvin Benjamin.

Amen to all of this, especially the bolded.

Langham's do-or-die fourth down catch was a terrible play call. As you stated, that route combination (everybody go vertical) was merely a prayer. Richt should have some third-and-long go-to plays, high probability passes, something that maybe finds Berrios in space or Langham in the middle of the field. Luckily, and as you also mentioned, Langham has been remarkably reliable outside of his game-winning catches.

It's strange to me that Richt regularly goes to that four-vert call on big downs and even talks about it in his press conference.

Richt actually said in the post game presser that he thought Rosier should have gone to another receiver on that exact play. The real issue is that Rosier appears to decide where he is going before the play develops.

I don't think so. Rosier looked off his first read a handful of times that I can remember without a thorough rewatch.

Regardless of who the better of two real options was, Richt called a play with a so-so (number nerds?) completion percentage. The other receiver on that play was Harley, the tiny freshman WR who had already failed on two (or three?) fade routes that very game. No wonder Rosier locked in on his best bet.

We desperately need to improve our offense's RZ TD efficiency.
On defense, we actually have a very solid RZ TD stoppage %.
Apparently, we hit all our FGs and every opponent hits all their FGs on us, too.

Our RZ TD% is 54.5%, which isn't bad (down from 64.7% before GT game).
What is it against P5 defenses?

2/3 against Duke
2/3 against FSU (Langham TD was from 23 yards out)
1/5 against GT (although we didn't try to score a TD on the final FG)

Richt is calling games to limit the scenarios in which Rosier can throw an interception

Maybe he should run the ball more with the guy who is dominating?

I mean, you're right, but also Homer carried 20 times for 170 yards. How many catches did he have on top of that? So how many touches are we going to give our only remaining trustworthy RB? How much more can we really ask of this guy? In the ACCCG (should we be fortunate enough to get there), sure, get him the ball 50 times as long as it's working, but we have a lot of games left to play and need to keep Travis alive.

1. He caught 2 passes.

2. Let’s chill with the hyperbole. The kid was consistently getting great runs throughout the night and averaged 8.5 YPC. The kid deserves the red-zone carries and at least an attempt. When it was dry, he was great. When it was wet, he was great.

3. The most puzzling move, if you’re concerned about Travis being alive and having a “trustworthy RB”, is keeping Homer on special teams. The kid needs to be removed.

Last edited:
We desperately need to improve our offense's RZ TD efficiency.
On defense, we actually have a very solid RZ TD stoppage %.
Apparently, we hit all our FGs and every opponent hits all their FGs on us, too.

Our RZ TD% is 54.5%, which isn't bad (down from 64.7% before GT game).
What is it against P5 defenses?

2/3 against Duke
2/3 against FSU (Langham TD was from 23 yards out)
1/5 against GT (although we didn't try to score a TD on the final FG)

Against Duke, we were 1/2.
Against FSU, we were 1/2.

Duke: Miami vs. Duke - Play-By-Play - September 29, 2017 - ESPN
FSU: Miami vs. Florida State - Play-By-Play - October 7, 2017 - ESPN

Advertisement
Back