Team Stats 10-17-17

Advertisement
Richt is calling games to limit the scenarios in which Rosier can throw an interception

Maybe he should run the ball more with the guy who is dominating?

I mean, you're right, but also Homer carried 20 times for 170 yards. How many catches did he have on top of that? So how many touches are we going to give our only remaining trustworthy RB? How much more can we really ask of this guy? In the ACCCG (should we be fortunate enough to get there), sure, get him the ball 50 times as long as it's working, but we have a lot of games left to play and need to keep Travis alive.

1. He caught 2 passes.

2. Let’s chill with the hyperbole. The kid was consistently getting great runs throughout the night and averaged 8.5 YPC. The kid deserves the red-zone carries and at least an attempt. When it was dry, he was great. When it was wet, he was great.

3. The most puzzling move, if you’re concerned about Travis being alive and having a “trustworthy RB”, is keeping Homer on special teams. The kid needs to be removed.

Ok, so 22 touches. Where's the hyperbole? Answer the question then. How many touches do you want him to get? What is the "right" #? When do we stop feeding him the ball? Do we wait until the other team knows it's going to him every play and our offense grinds to a complete halt?

They've cut his special teams duties in half. Kid is incredibly valuable there. We have always played stars on special teams and many other teams do too. It just seems that there are many people out there who do nothing but complain and look for fault with the coaching staff. Richt is to be blamed for guy's getting hurt, but he's to blame for not using them more heavily. Richt gets NO credit for getting this kid to a 22 touch. 183 yards stat line, but is killing us by not giving him the ball more. The play calling is horrid (how's that for hyperbole) but there is NO recognition of the amount of juice he is squeezing from a guy who few thought could play QB at Miami, much less do what he has done so far.

No one is saying everything is perfect and that the team doesn't need to get better, and that includes coaches, players, everyone. And it's cool to criticize and point out areas we need to get better. But be rational and reasonable.

Richt is calling games to limit the scenarios in which Rosier can throw an interception

more-cowbell-gif-5.jpg

I mean, you're right, but also Homer carried 20 times for 170 yards. How many catches did he have on top of that? So how many touches are we going to give our only remaining trustworthy RB? How much more can we really ask of this guy? In the ACCCG (should we be fortunate enough to get there), sure, get him the ball 50 times as long as it's working, but we have a lot of games left to play and need to keep Travis alive.

1. He caught 2 passes.

2. Let’s chill with the hyperbole. The kid was consistently getting great runs throughout the night and averaged 8.5 YPC. The kid deserves the red-zone carries and at least an attempt. When it was dry, he was great. When it was wet, he was great.

3. The most puzzling move, if you’re concerned about Travis being alive and having a “trustworthy RB”, is keeping Homer on special teams. The kid needs to be removed.

Ok, so 22 touches. Where's the hyperbole? Answer the question then. How many touches do you want him to get? What is the "right" #? When do we stop feeding him the ball? Do we wait until the other team knows it's going to him every play and our offense grinds to a complete halt?

They've cut his special teams duties in half. Kid is incredibly valuable there. We have always played stars on special teams and many other teams do too. It just seems that there are many people out there who do nothing but complain and look for fault with the coaching staff. Richt is to be blamed for guy's getting hurt, but he's to blame for not using them more heavily. Richt gets NO credit for getting this kid to a 22 touch. 183 yards stat line, but is killing us by not giving him the ball more. The play calling is horrid (how's that for hyperbole) but there is NO recognition of the amount of juice he is squeezing from a guy who few thought could play QB at Miami, much less do what he has done so far.

No one is saying everything is perfect and that the team doesn't need to get better, and that includes coaches, players, everyone. And it's cool to criticize and point out areas we need to get better. But be rational and reasonable.

The hyperbole is “Keep Travis alive”.

I am mostly commenting on the lack of carries he had in the red-zone (none). How about more than none? He has earned those carries. Travis also earned more carries in the game, especially when he was dominating. Was he slowing down at all? Was he not consistent?

As for special teams, he is not Vince Papale out there. Someone should have replaced him already because the risk is incredibly disproportionate to the reward. This is a no brainer especially if we want to “Keep Travis alive”.

Then you have more hyperbole (“killing us”). I don’t think I am doing that at all or suggesting Richt is doing that.

Did I say the playcalling was “horrid”?

With that said, through 3 ACC games the obvious and real issues are on offense (not just playcalling). If you don’t think I am being reasonable, that is your right.

1. He caught 2 passes.

I am mostly commenting on the lack of carries he had in the red-zone (none). How about more than none? He has earned those carries. Travis also earned more carries in the game, especially when he was dominating. Was he slowing down at all? Was he not consistent?

As for special teams, he is not Vince Papale out there. Someone should have replaced him already because the risk is incredibly disproportionate to the reward. This is a no brainer especially if we want to “Keep Travis alive”.

Then you have more hyperbole (“killing us”). I don’t think I am doing that at all or suggesting Richt is doing that.

With that said, through 3 ACC games the obvious and real issues are on offense (not just playcalling). If you don’t think I am being reasonable, that is your right.

Both of you are making sound, logical arguments that defend your points of view. Pretty refreshing. Please continue.

Advertisement
We desperately need to improve our offense's RZ TD efficiency.
On defense, we actually have a very solid RZ TD stoppage %.
Apparently, we hit all our FGs and every opponent hits all their FGs on us, too.

Our RZ TD% is 54.5%, which isn't bad (down from 64.7% before GT game).
What is it against P5 defenses?

2/3 against Duke
2/3 against FSU (Langham TD was from 23 yards out)
1/5 against GT (although we didn't try to score a TD on the final FG)

Against Duke, we were 1/2.
Against FSU, we were 1/2.

Duke: Miami vs. Duke - Play-By-Play - September 29, 2017 - ESPN
FSU: Miami vs. Florida State - Play-By-Play - October 7, 2017 - ESPN
I've got 3 of 9. I must've missed one entrance into the RZ. Either way, at best we're less than 50% and at worst we're around 30%. Not too good either way. I'm also concerned about what seems like a large % of 3 and outs, which we've discussed @CanesAreAble. We'll keep track of these over the season.

Last edited:
I've got 3 of 9. I must've missed one entrance into the RZ. Either way, at best we're less than 50% and at worst we're around 30%. Not too good either way. I'm also concerned about what seems like a large % of 3 and outs, which we've discussed @CanesAreAble. We'll keep track of these over the season.

Agree about the 3-and-outs.

We're 97th in 3rd down conversions, which is obviously no bueno.

That said I think the GT game was the first one where we were really ****** in the red zone.

1. He caught 2 passes.

Here is the horrid comment, in this same thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/team-stats-10-17-17-a/124000/post3037589#post3037589

I never said you said it, so apologies if it gets confusing whether I'm addressing you directly, or sort of picking on your comment to make a larger point. I'm working the argument/criticism, not you personally.

I'll certainly agree with you that we need to run the ball more and better in the red zone. But, it also needs to be acknowledged that we sort of don't have the personnel that would be ideal for pounding the ball at the goal line. We have no fullback, we've only got one TE who's up to the task of being a dual threat short yardage blocker and receiver, and we don't really quite have the depth on OLine to throw 6-7 linemen out there in place of those TE's we're missing. (Although the guys that have been called upon to step up, namely Gaynor and Mahoney have been a pleasant surprise, so maybe we've got more there than we think.)

It's unacceptable that we couldn't punch it in from first and goal at the 4 following the JT reception. I think that was one where Rosier had a lane to run and chucked it into a crowd instead. Hopefully he gets coached up on that this week.

Agreed that the onus is on the O to step up and get us out front early in games. If we do that, it's kind of downhill from there the way our D is playing.

I'm just explaining that there are reasons for why the offense is the way it is. It's easy to say stuff like "no excuses", and yeah, that's true. But there are reasons. All in all, CMR and MR are cooking up a pretty nice soup given the ingredients in the kitchen. I expect they will continue to get better and better. We also need to get guys healthy. We miss AR82 BIG TIME.

Last edited:

The bottom line is that it isn't good enough. We need more TDs in those situations.

Advertisement
Here is the horrid comment, in this same thread: https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/team-stats-10-17-17-a/124000/post3037589#post3037589

I never said you said it, so apologies if it gets confusing whether I'm addressing you directly, or sort of picking on your comment to make a larger point. I'm working the argument/criticism, not you personally.

It wasn't me. So I would assume, my bad, when you're talking to me and say "horrid" that it was something I said.

I'll certainly agree with you that we need to run the ball more and better in the red zone. But, it also needs to be acknowledged that we sort of don't have the personnel that would be ideal for pounding the ball at the goal line. We have no fullback, we've only got one TE who's up to the task of being a dual threat short yardage blocker and receiver, and we don't really quite have the depth on OLine to throw 6-7 linemen out there in place of those TE's we're missing. (Although the guys that have been called upon to step up, namely Gaynor and Mahoney have been a pleasant surprise, so maybe we've got more there than we think.)

I disagree (about the personnel).

1. Against GT, Homer ran the ball (just in the first half) for a first down on 5 of 9 carries. Please note, this is just the first half of GT.

(14:07 - 1st) Travis Homer run for 11 yds to the MiaFl 15
(10:38 - 1st) Travis Homer run for 11 yds to the GTech 34 for a 1ST down
(9:31 - 1st) Travis Homer run for 12 yds to the GTech 20 for a 1ST down
(13:15 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 1 yd to the MiaFl 33
(12:48 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 2 yds to the MiaFl 35 for a 1ST down
(11:47 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 32 yds to the GTech 20 for a 1ST down
(4:48 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 6 yds to the MiaFl 18
(1:52 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 2 yds to the MiaFl 25
(1:04 - 2nd) Travis Homer run for 4 yds to the MiaFl 36 for a 1ST down

The point is he is getting the tough yards. He deserves the opportunity to get those tough carries in the red-zone. At least give him a chance. He will get it done.

2. Herndon will be in the NFL. He certainly is capable of being that target, if that is what you want to use him for in the red-zone.

3. As for a FB, Richt has shifted an OL to FB a few times this year. We can do that again.

4. Even with all of that, I am fine giving Homer the opportunity (in a single-back set) to get a carry in the red-zone. He hits the hole so hard and is moving forward. I like that.

Agreed that the onus is on the O to step up and get us out front early in games. If we do that, it's kind of downhill from there the way our D is playing.

I'm just explaining that there are reasons for why the offense is the way it is. It's easy to say stuff like "no excuses", and yeah, that's true. But there are reasons. All in all, CMR and MR are cooking up a pretty nice soup given the ingredients in the kitchen. I expect they will continue to get better and better. We also need to get guys healthy. We miss AR82 BIG TIME.

1. With the offense, I don't think it is an injury thing that is causing our most serious issues. I think there are bigger and more obvious issues (which we discussed).

2. Of course I want AR back because nobody can stop him on our schedule. He is a freak. But we already have great talents available (Homer, Berrios and Herndon).

Good stuff

It wasn't me. So I would assume, my bad, when you're talking to me and say "horrid" that it was something I said.

1. Against GT, Homer ran the ball (just in the first half) for a first down on 5 of 9 carries. Please note, this is just the first half of GT.

The point is he is getting the tough yards. He deserves the opportunity to get those tough carries in the red-zone. At least give him a chance. He will get it done.

2. Herndon will be in the NFL. He certainly is capable of being that target, if that is what you want to use him for in the red-zone.

3. As for a FB, Richt has shifted an OL to FB a few times this year. We can do that again.

4. Even with all of that, I am fine giving Homer the opportunity (in a single-back set) to get a carry in the red-zone. He hits the hole so hard and is moving forward. I like that.

1. With the offense, I don't think it is an injury thing that is causing our most serious issues. I think there are bigger and more obvious issues (which we discussed).

2. Of course I want AR back because nobody can stop him on our schedule. He is a freak. But we already have great talents available (Homer, Berrios and Herndon).

Good stuff

Just a couple points:
1. There is a big difference between running the ball on the 40, vs. running it from the 4. I know you know that, I'm just pointing out that your argument doesn't take that into account. I'm not disputing that Homer can get the tough yards, I'm just pointing out that, given our personnel, it's not like we have the choice to line up in jumbo package and impose our will, regardless of what the defense is doing. We have to spread teams out in the red zone/goal line, and at that point the decision of run/pass comes down more or less to how the defense lines up. If the numbers favor run, we run, if they stack the box and numbers favor pass, that's what the structure of the offense tells you to do. Could we/Richt get stubborn and say run the ball occasionally in that situation even when the numbers favor pass? Sure. Will he/Rosier get criticized for running into a stacked box when Berrios is lined up on a linebacker or safety? Yep.

2. I definitely agree that Herndon is great in open space, or on the goal line, lined up in line, or out wide. He can block, he can catch, he can run. But he's it. Irvin/Polendey aren't ready for goal line yet, either blocking or running routes/catching in traffic. Which leaves us back at what I just described above regarding being dictated to by the defense whether we run or pass in short yardage situations.

3. When we have used an OLineman as FB in the past this season, it's been Gaynor. Now that he's basically a starter (with Donaldson out), that option kind of goes away. Who knows when the last time was they've been able to get Gaynor a rep at FB in practice. If you don't practice it, it's hard to have the balls to run it on game day.

Travis Homer has been a favorite of mine since the day he emerged as a potential Cane recruit. Kid's as legit as they come. 99.99% confident that Richt feels the same way. This is why I'm explaining that it's not as simple as just saying "give the kid the ball more".

As to your second point #1 , it's too hard and too complicated to just say it's injuries, or to say that it's bad play calling. It's a whole bunch of factors that combine. At the end of the day, sure it's on CMR, but the devil is in the details. Once you understand all of the limiting factors that we're working with, I personally see what we've achieved thus far this year given the limitations as brilliant. Doesn't mean I don't want/expect more.

Good stuff man!

Win game. Get better. Repeat.

1. There is a big difference between running the ball on the 40, vs. running it from the 4. I know you know that, I'm just pointing out that your argument doesn't take that into account. I'm not disputing that Homer can get the tough yards, I'm just pointing out that, given our personnel, it's not like we have the choice to line up in jumbo package and impose our will, regardless of what the defense is doing.

1. My argument states that when we have to get a short distance (for the first down) that Homer is more than capable of getting that distance. The evidence is clear. So if it is a short distance (in the red-zone) then I believe Homer will replicate that success. There surely is a difference between the 40 and 4 yard line.

2. I don't think we have to impose our will to give Homer those carries. I don't know what more he has to do to to make it clear.

2. I don't think we have to impose our will to give Homer those carries. I don't know what more he has to do to to make it clear.

2nd or even 3rd and 1 from 40 yards out is not the same as it is on the 2, which you know, so I don't need to bother explaining why.

If we're lined up in shotgun (or single back, basically makes little/no difference) with three wide, TE inline and single back, on the goal line, that makes it very easy for the D to get 7-8 in the box. We've only got 6 blockers in that scenario. The math dictates that running will be difficult. If you say you want to run in that situation, you're "imposing your will".

To run the ball effectively in short yardage dictates having at least one blocker for every defender. You can sometimes neutralize one defender with option or misdirection, but the bottom line is it makes it tough to run down there (without bringing in all the big dudes). I've been an advocate of using some more misdirection, and I think we're seeing it slowly sprinkle in, but remember, it took even Deshaun Watson more than 5 starts in that Clemson offense to really get it going (and quite frankly, they were never really that good at short yardage/goal line either, at least relative to how high powered their offense was, but they did improve in that area significantly over the last couple years).

Defenses know we're limited in what we want to do on offense. Of course they'd prefer Malik putting it in the air on the goal line over Homer punching it in. I'm pretty confident that most of these goal line plays are actually two plays in one. A pass for one look, a run for the other. #'s in the box dictates where the ball goes.

Last edited:
Advertisement

2nd or even 3rd and 1 from 40 yards out is not the same as it is on the 2, which you know, so I don't need to bother explaining why.

If we're lined up in shotgun (or single back, basically makes little/no difference) with three wide, TE inline and single back, on the goal line, that makes it very easy for the D to get 7-8 in the box. We've only got 6 blockers in that scenario. The math dictates that running will be difficult. If you say you want to run in that situation, you're "imposing your will".

To run the ball effectively in short yardage dictates having at least one blocker for every defender. You can sometimes neutralize one defender with option or misdirection, but the bottom line is it makes it tough to run down there (without bringing in all the big dudes). I've been an advocate of using some more misdirection, and I think we're seeing it slowly sprinkle in, but remember, it took even Deshaun Watson more than 5 starts in that Clemson offense to really get it going (and quite frankly, they were never really that good at short yardage/goal line either, at least relative to how high powered their offense was, but they did improve in that area significantly over the last couple years).

Defenses know we're limited in what we want to do on offense. Of course they'd prefer Malik putting it in the air on the goal line over Homer punching it in. I'm pretty confident that most of these goal line plays are actually two plays in one. A pass for one look, a run for the other. #'s in the box dictates where the ball goes.

I think we're on very different pages. Agree to disagree.

I think we're on very different pages. Agree to disagree.

:11263324214_66c20be :puzzled: :tedbong: :hh9BEeLFGEOeZUWG.jp :nice: :fistbump:

Last edited:

Good stuff

I don't think Richt is keeping redzone touches from Homer. I think Homer was a big part of why we got into the red zone and then he comes out for a breather when we get there. There were a few drives I noticed Gray come in during the red zone but it was after some big runs by Homer so I'm ASSUMING he got tired and subbed out.

Advertisement
Just finally made my way through War and Peace. It's a great read and gives in depth analysis of what is and is not working for both the offense and defense. This guy is really good and very thorough. Turning to the offence strictly for the moment, as he notes, there are plays out there to be made that we are either missing due to misreads or rushing by Rosier, or to a lesser extent due to lack of execution. This is the real details behind the generalized comments and explanations that I have been attempting to make. Highly recommend reading this guy's stuff (find a comfortable chair first) if you really want to understand what's going on and rise above the simplistic calls for "more cowbell".

https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/canes/124067

Just finally made my way through War and Peace. It's a great read and gives in depth analysis of what is and is not working for both the offense and defense. This guy is really good and very thorough. Turning to the offence strictly for the moment, as he notes, there are plays out there to be made that we are either missing due to misreads or rushing by Rosier, or to a lesser extent due to lack of execution. This is the real details behind the generalized comments and explanations that I have been attempting to make. Highly recommend reading this guy's stuff (find a comfortable chair first) if you really want to understand what's going on and rise above the simplistic calls for "more cowbell".

https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/canes/124067

I've read every one so far. Kinda makes you just shake your head and chuckle when you see a post ****ing and moaning about Richt's 4 verts vanilla offense once you go through of real good film breakdowns where someone explains the different concepts we ran and why we run them and what everybody is supposed to be doing on each. He's really honest, and just tells you what he sees and why it happened that way.

I remember reading this blog all day Monday with people ragging CMR's play calling, and I made a post that basically said, I can't wait until [MENTION=5374]HurricaneVision[/MENTION] releases the film breakdown where he details who was open on which plays, what the read should have been, who made the mistake...Every week you can tell who doesn't read these. It's the guys complaining about 4 verts and no crossing routes.

I don't think Richt is keeping redzone touches from Homer. I think Homer was a big part of why we got into the red zone and then he comes out for a breather when we get there. There were a few drives I noticed Gray come in during the red zone but it was after some big runs by Homer so I'm ASSUMING he got tired and subbed out.

I don't think he is keeping them from him, he just isn't giving them to him. As for him being tired, he didn't look tired at any point in the game. Did he? Did you see any drop off? Did he look winded?

I don't think he is keeping them from him, he just isn't giving them to him. As for him being tired, he didn't look tired at any point in the game. Did he? Did you see any drop off? Did he look winded?

I didn’t see him look tired but it is very common for running backs to come out after a couple big runs

Advertisement
Back