Team Stats 10-17-17

OP. Great post and analysis. Thanks.

My take on the Offense:

* Gotta get Rosier started early. He’s way too nervous on the first couple of series. So, forget the fades. Rather, hit Berrios and Herndon on bubble screens, Langham on slants and Homer on swing passes. These are high percentage throws, letting Rosier calm down.

* involve 82 Richards on deeper routes early. This will loosen coverage on 8, 23 and 81...permitting the bubble screens and slants.

* still don’t know why we don’t use 3 and 4 in motion. We are too predictable with these speedsters. Their height limits their effectiveness on fade routes. Let them use their quickness!

* speaking of 3 and 4, how about a jet sweep or reverse once in awhile? We need more diversity in our rushing attack. Homer for 20 carries. Rosier for 5. Choc for 3 with 2 carries for 3 and 4.

Advertisement
The bad
3rd Down Conversion Percentage: #97
Just horrible. Imagine if we were ranked around 50th. That means the offense stays on the field, we improve time of possession, and total Offense could easily be top 15.
How to fix:
Get Herndon involved earlier in the game.

Get Langham in the game. Everyone has fallen in love with his two game winning plays. But do not forget how dominant he has looked going over the middle. Said it before and I will say it again, this guy can be our Kelvin Benjamin.

Stop throwing back shoulder or jump ball fades on 3rd down. We need high percentage plays. Quick slants. Better route trees in general on 3rd down. Richt has to recognize this at this point in season. Basically 3rd and long has become 3rd and say a prayer with the plays we have been running. This is the area I will key in on this week.

Amen to all of this, especially the bolded.

Langham's do-or-die fourth down catch was a terrible play call. As you stated, that route combination (everybody go vertical) was merely a prayer. Richt should have some third-and-long go-to plays, high probability passes, something that maybe finds Berrios in space or Langham in the middle of the field. Luckily, and as you also mentioned, Langham has been remarkably reliable outside of his game-winning catches.

It's strange to me that Richt regularly goes to that four-vert call on big downs and even talks about it in his press conference.

We desperately need to improve our offense's RZ TD efficiency.
On defense, we actually have a very solid RZ TD stoppage %.
Apparently, we hit all our FGs and every opponent hits all their FGs on us, too.

I absolutely agree with this. Our scoring offense is roughly the same as it was last season. If we could convert more redzone trips into touchdowns our scoring offense would be top 20 right now instead of top 35. Big difference.

Honestly, I expected that we'd be better in the redzone with Rosier's running ability.

Before the season I said Rosier would be one of the best QBs in the conference, and finish the season as an all ACC QB

There were a number of us singing his praises. I’ve always believed in that dude

It wouldn't kill the guy to show up in the first half... Don't get me wrong, he has won us some ball games and has ice water in his veins but my mental health would be much better off if we played all 4 quarters lol

The last 2 games rosier hasn't played bad in the first half the play calling has been horrid . And this is coming from a guy who loves Richt's play calling most of the time. But the last 2 first halves have been atrocious.

It was definitely concerning that Richt openly acknowledged the 4th down play was straight verticals. Too easy for a defense to defend. Why not let one of the receivers cut it off and run over the middle. With everyone else going vertical, there is a good chance the Safeties follow and leave the underneath wide open. I mean that's exactly what teams do to us on 3rd and long.

Advertisement
I agree with comments about adding some creativity in our play calling and starting with shorter, more high probability passing earlier in the game. One thing I think has helped which hasn't been mentioned much is playing second stringers all season so they aren't as nervous or unprepared when they do get called in during the closer games against stronger opponents. I think that's a larger factor as we get further into the season.

Apparently, we hit all our FGs and every opponent hits all their FGs on us, too.

Red zone efficiency is PREDICATED on play calling and what not.

OP. Great post and analysis. Thanks.

My take on the Offense:

* Gotta get Rosier started early. He’s way too nervous on the first couple of series. So, forget the fades. Rather, hit Berrios and Herndon on bubble screens, Langham on slants and Homer on swing passes. These are high percentage throws, letting Rosier calm down.

* involve 82 Richards on deeper routes early. This will loosen coverage on 8, 23 and 81...permitting the bubble screens and slants.

* still don’t know why we don’t use 3 and 4 in motion. We are too predictable with these speedsters. Their height limits their effectiveness on fade routes. Let them use their quickness!

* speaking of 3 and 4, how about a jet sweep or reverse once in awhile? We need more diversity in our rushing attack. Homer for 20 carries. Rosier for 5. Choc for 3 with 2 carries for 3 and 4.

I don't think # 12 is too nervous and what not. I absolutely believe Malik is TOO STOKED and what not. And he needs to have a relatively ' calm ' presence and all that.

Said it in another thread. I like our offense just not the plays called on 3rd down. To much 4 verticals on 3rd down. I don't understand why we dial that up so much. Honestly, I don't even have a problem with the 4 verticals but you NEED to use the bubble screens so that it OPENS the 4 verticals. When we murdered GT with those bubble screens what happen? GT DB started playing closer to the LOS and more single high safety. 4 verticals are a sample so that not gonna go away but use OTHER plays to OPEN UP the 4 verticals. We just randomly dial up 4 verticals when we don't get safeties to creep up using bubble screens.

Our play pie needs to look like this

RPO Bubble Screens - 25% / RPO and Non-RPO 4 Verticals - 20% / RPO and Non-RPO 4 Curls - 15% / Other - 30%.

Scenarios: If we use the bubble screens enough Safety and CB will creep more to the LOS THEN you hit them with 4 verticals. If they use a LB to guard the bubble run it up the gut vs 2 LBs and if they use a DB then hit them with the Vert/Curls. If they show press tight then bail IT A RPO When they bail throw the bubble or throw the ball to the flat to the RB if it a 4 vertical call. Add in 4 Curls because after building a reputation of running 4 verticals THEN use the 4 curls to balance the play calling vs teams who tries to play soft coverage on us and the curls will be open all day. If all else fails you can always just hand it off to the RB or Rosier keeps it on the RPO. I wish Richt would adopt some of this philosophy

Last edited:
Advertisement
You know, just because Rosier is throwing so many fades/go doesn't mean that's Richts fault. There are more WRs running routes on the play, and if the first option is covered its Rosiers job to get to the next guy. The problem is Rosier completely locks in on one WR the vast majority of the time. He's a one read QB. Second of all, we don't even know if those fades Rosier loves to throw incomplete are even the first read. They might just be doing it to clear our the db and hold the safety while another WR comes across....the problem is Rosier wants to go for the homerun every time, which is great. But you got to be smart with it, and you have to be accurate with it.

One Positive is we've been a pretty good team even with Rosier being kinda trash for 70% of the game, so if he can just take the next step, we can go far this year.

Richt is calling games to limit the scenarios in which Rosier can throw an interception

This right here seems to be so underappreciated, I just don't see it mentioned or recognized often enough. Coach and QB seem to be very in tune with one another and both recognize what Malik's strengths and weaknesses are. This is a HUGE reason why we don't throw over the middle more often. GT came out with an excellent defensive game plan in recognition of this, playing a ton of zone and protecting the sidelines to neutralize both Rosier's chances to run and our ability to move the ball down the field with "safe" passes to the sideline that are basically either caught by our guy or not in a position to be tipped or picked by the other team. It's plain as vanilla ice cream that Richt doesn't want to let Rosier throw over the middle until he's got a really strong grasp on what the opposing D is doing and has had a chance to explain it to Malik and see in his QB's eyes that Malik comprehends what he needs to do.

So, basically, I just used a whole bunch of words to say what gcane44 just said in 15 words, but I felt like expanding on it since this seems to be such an underappreciated point.

I absolutely agree with this. Our scoring offense is roughly the same as it was last season. If we could convert more redzone trips into touchdowns our scoring offense would be top 20 right now instead of top 35. Big difference.

Honestly, I expected that we'd be better in the redzone with Rosier's running ability.

Rosier had at least one or two plays against GT alone where he had a running lane in goal to go situations where he elected to pass instead. It was also glaring how quickly he was getting down when he did scramble against GT. I'm hoping both of these are things that are worked on this week. Not that I want him putting himself in harms way unneccessarily, but in the 4th quarter on 3rd and goal from the 4, it's ok to bull rush your way to the endzone and take that shot. He's a good runner with good pad level in situations like those, much better to run than chuck the ball up for grabs.

Richt is calling games to limit the scenarios in which Rosier can throw an interception

This right here seems to be so underappreciated, I just don't see it mentioned or recognized often enough. Coach and QB seem to be very in tune with one another and both recognize what Malik's strengths and weaknesses are. This is a HUGE reason why we don't throw over the middle more often. GT came out with an excellent defensive game plan in recognition of this, playing a ton of zone and protecting the sidelines to neutralize both Rosier's chances to run and our ability to move the ball down the field with "safe" passes to the sideline that are basically either caught by our guy or not in a position to be tipped or picked by the other team. It's plain as vanilla ice cream that Richt doesn't want to let Rosier throw over the middle until he's got a really strong grasp on what the opposing D is doing and has had a chance to explain it to Malik and see in his QB's eyes that Malik comprehends what he needs to do.

So, basically, I just used a whole bunch of words to say what gcane44 just said in 15 words, but I felt like expanding on it since this seems to be such an underappreciated point.

Excellent post. Never thought of it in that light. Previous to the long Homer run, Rosier threw over the middle to Langham and almost air mailed it. Fortunately Langham is 10 feet tall.

Advertisement
Before the season I said Rosier would be one of the best QBs in the conference, and finish the season as an all ACC QB

There were a number of us singing his praises. I’ve always believed in that dude

It wouldn't kill the guy to show up in the first half... Don't get me wrong, he has won us some ball games and has ice water in his veins but my mental health would be much better off if we played all 4 quarters lol

The last 2 games rosier hasn't played bad in the first half the play calling has been horrid . And this is coming from a guy who loves Richt's play calling most of the time. But the last 2 first halves have been atrocious.

Rosier started last game 3-10 before the TD drive that ended the half.

You know, just because Rosier is throwing so many fades/go doesn't mean that's Richts fault. There are more WRs running routes on the play, and if the first option is covered its Rosiers job to get to the next guy. The problem is Rosier completely locks in on one WR the vast majority of the time. He's a one read QB. Second of all, we don't even know if those fades Rosier loves to throw incomplete are even the first read. They might just be doing it to clear our the db and hold the safety while another WR comes across....the problem is Rosier wants to go for the homerun every time, which is great. But you got to be smart with it, and you have to be accurate with it.

One Positive is we've been a pretty good team even with Rosier being kinda trash for 70% of the game, so if he can just take the next step, we can go far this year.

In the FSU game on the final drive, those two incompletions to Cager, Berrios was open on a square in. They flipped the routes on the next play and Rosier hit berrios on a square out that, luckily, Berrios broke a tackle and got a first down.

Our RZ TD% is 54.5%, which isn't bad (down from 64.7% before GT game).

Advertisement
It was definitely concerning that Richt openly acknowledged the 4th down play was straight verticals. Too easy for a defense to defend. Why not let one of the receivers cut it off and run over the middle. With everyone else going vertical, there is a good chance the Safeties follow and leave the underneath wide open. I mean that's exactly what teams do to us on 3rd and long.

go back and watch that play. Berrios was coming wide open over the middle of the field. Rosier was the one who decided to throw it into double coverage.

Ive seen plenty of routes over the middle on 3rd down and Rosier not hit them. Yet its Richts fault.

Same as the fades. Rosier doesn't HAVE to throw those and tbh the players need to come down with balls that hit their hands.

But Rosier ultimately is making the decision to throw those balls.

I charted plenty of routes going over the middle that rosier did not see or throw too.

I highly doubt Richt is wanting rosier to throw it 40 yards downfield on 3rd and short.

In the FSU game on the final drive, those two incompletions to Cager, Berrios was open on a square in. They flipped the routes on the next play and Rosier hit berrios on a square out that, luckily, Berrios broke a tackle and got a first down.

Exactly. Rosier is locking on and half of these guys don't actually watch the games,

go back and watch that play. Berrios was coming wide open over the middle of the field. Rosier was the one who decided to throw it into double coverage.

Ive seen plenty of routes over the middle on 3rd down and Rosier not hit them. Yet its Richts fault.

Same as the fades. Rosier doesn't HAVE to throw those and tbh the players need to come down with balls that hit their hands.

But Rosier ultimately is making the decision to throw those balls.

I charted plenty of routes going over the middle that rosier did not see or throw too.

I highly doubt Richt is wanting rosier to throw it 40 yards downfield on 3rd and short.

Not doubting you man and no I have not reviewed the play. But in the post game presser, Richt himself said he called 4 verticals.

Advertisement
Back