Taylor Stubblefield

I'm not necessarily making excuses for Stubbs but as someone who has followed his playing and professional career what I will say is that I have zero doubt he will make your receivers better. He was so talented at the things that are teachable that I am certain he can pass those on to players. As far as his recruiting ability, I agree that he is unproven. However, being unproven and being bad are not the same thing. Slap that U on his chest with a pass happy Offense and finally a good QB with Tate coming in and I won't be surprised if 2 years from now people on this thread are trying to bury it and eating crow. Quit whining and support your team. Best of luck unless you meet Purdue along your travels. Boiler Up!!

But he is bad at recruiting. After 8 years in the industry, your recruiting is no longer an "unknown." People keep wanting to pretend like because he's never done anything on the recruiting trail, that isn't evidence that he can't do anything on the recruiting trail. But it is.

And there aren't really in major moves in his career. You're pretending like he left these jobs because better programs wanted to come scoop him up. He's spent his entire career at marginal programs. He's only here because Enos knows him. He isn't somebody Manny would have ever hired absent his OC telling him to make this hire. Which says everything. If you've done nothing in 8 years that has the rest of the country knowing who you are, it's because you've done nothing worthy of being noticed. Far too many people pretending that isn't the case to make themselves feel better about the hire.

Advertisement
I know a lot of you guys are underwhelmed by some of the hires but let's give them a chance.

I get it that we have had some bums.

we've also had guys with tons of local ties that keep getting turned down left and right by dudes. our last WR coach was fighting w players and nearly half the room left bc of him. lets wait and see how this plays out

But he is bad at recruiting. After 8 years in the industry, your recruiting is no longer an "unknown." People keep wanting to pretend like because he's never done anything on the recruiting trail, that isn't evidence that he can't do anything on the recruiting trail. But it is.

And there aren't really in major moves in his career. You're pretending like he left these jobs because better programs wanted to come scoop him up. He's spent his entire career at marginal programs. He's only here because Enos knows him. He isn't somebody Manny would have ever hired absent his OC telling him to make this hire. Which says everything. If you've done nothing in 8 years that has the rest of the country knowing who you are, it's because you've done nothing worthy of being noticed. Far too many people pretending that isn't the case to make themselves feel better about the hire.
Unlike many on this thread, Im willing to at least give him his turn, so long as he brings a couple of things with his coaching suitcase.

* Instill an elite work ethic
* work on mental apects
* Techniques
* Discipline

If he fails in this he will surely be gone.

Advertisement
But you're right that it doesn't have to be that way in terms of recruiting positions. I think one reason why many of us are disappointed, is because this staff is still set up for it to be that way.

You could be right, but there is also other factors that play into recruiting. Do you think a young wr may consider the prospect of playing with Martell a reason to commit? Or maybe because of immediate playing time, being close to home and playing for home crowd, weather, favorite team growing up, type of offense, tv time, winning program, etc. sometimes a program can sell itself, so the salesman and pitch is less of a factor. There is a lot a program like Miami has to offer, including its academics to recruits. Having a carnival barker may not be all that important at Miami.
If we hired a guy whose system is so complicated it can't be taught to a new WR coach, but instead we need to go to the Island of Misfit WR Coaches to find somebody familiar with it, that's a bigger indictment than the WR coach himself.

It could be something as simple as Enos has confidence in him and know what he brings to the table and is comfortable with him teaching his system. But I keep going back to if you are good with Enos you are good with who he brings with him. Otherwise, then it would be legit to start questioning the Enos hire and I think it is way too premature to do that.

It’s the absolute truth.

So you think catching footballs isn't a technical skill? The ball just magically gets caught or it doesn't regardless of body position, hand position, relationship to defender, trajectory, weather, etc.

There are a lot of variables that determine proper catch technique. A lot more goes into it than concentration.

You would think Miami fans would understand this after multiple seasons in recent years where there were team-wide drop issues and generally poor technique at the WR position.

We have 3 coaches that are at best only marginal and at worst horrific recruiters (Diaz, Rumph and Stubblefield). The remaining lot better be stars on the trail to make up for the others.

From a technical perspective I’ll ask again why is Patke coaching special teams? Does he have a track record coaching this unit because again aside from the offense it will be the most challenging of all position coaches.

We have 3 coaches that are at best only marginal and at worst horrific recruiters (Diaz, Rumph and Stubblefield). The remaining lot better be stars on the trail to make up for the others.

From a technical perspective I’ll ask again why is Patke coaching special teams? Does he have a track record coaching this unit because again aside from the offense it will be the most challenging of all position coaches.
WTF? Just called Diaz horrific recruiter? He has done more on the recruiting front in last 2 weeks then anyone on the country with the buzz he is building in Miami... building hype around a program that starts to draw them all in is #1 recruiting tool
DD51BEDF-B360-437B-8FEA-190CFA536B8E.gif

Advertisement
Salt Lake Tribune re Stubblefield's firing: " . . . he also had a habit of needling his more established players when he felt they were showing signs of complacency. "

Is this a bad thing? . . .

if we win games, it doesn't matter what his rep as a recruiter is. kids will follow the school thats winning and winning big. we hd coley here and we kept striking out. meanwhile, kul couldn't recruit for **** but goes to bama and our top 2 targets are crediting him for the reason they went there. the real reason is bama wins and we don't.
Nonsense. Too simplistic. Tool didn’t even recruit at Alabaga. We should probably quit using Alabaga as our example every time someone makes a point about our program.

By the time Coley started failing as a recruiter we were already in deep toxicity mode, and NO ONE can recruit around that. It’s happened under 4 straight coaches here.

We’ve seen this dance too many times. We need players to win. Our roster needs an instant infusion. You get that the first two years no matter what our record was last year here because the good recruiters get out there and sell hope. They feed the current positivity and energy around the program.

If we don’t kill it these first couple years on the trail then we’re right back in the “we don’t have any players and coach just needs time to get his guys here.” Then if you have a rocky year 3 because you didn’t load up on blue chippers during your honeymoon phase, you run the risk of sliding right back into that toxicity game here.

The whole “just win and you will collect recruits at UM” is too simplistic of an approach.

Advertisement
Who has he recruited specifically and please be precise here?
Would any of these transfers and late pick ups be here without Manny and #TNM? Getting guys to Miami is a lot bigger then who is listed as somebody’s official recruiter... the perceived direction and hype around a program is the foundation that all these recruiters have to work with to sell the program. Miami and Diaz flipped the foundation over night... what coach gets credit for Tate, Bubba? Coach B Jordon? Brevin sold these guys what Diaz bringing to the WHOLE team

Advertisement
I don't disagree, but if Enos was looking for a guy familiar with his system, and who can competently teach his system to wrs, and that hypothetical guy who can teach his system and recruit well does not exist (I am assuming he doesn't for sake of argument), what do you want him to do? Maybe the tradeoff in this case was getting Fields who was available (and Manny wanted). I really don't know all the circumstances and options Enos had available, but I do understand the difference between what is possible and what is actual. While getting a good coach who can also recruit is certainly possible it may not have been feasible and you go with a tradeoff instead to balance things out.
I’m not ready to go with the blind “Trust Enos” mantra we see on here every time we get new coaches. I love the Enos hire, but I can assure you he’s not doing anything so outlandish that thousands of competent assistants couldn’t teach it to the WR group.

I’m sure it was Enos’s call to hire Stubblefield. Where was stubblefield when Enos got the Arkansas OC gig? Curious why he didn’t wind up there if he’s so essential.

So you think catching footballs isn't a technical skill? The ball just magically gets caught or it doesn't regardless of body position, hand position, relationship to defender, trajectory, weather, etc.

There are a lot of variables that determine proper catch technique. A lot more goes into it than concentration.

You would think Miami fans would understand this after multiple seasons in recent years where there were team-wide drop issues and generally poor technique at the WR position.
What I’m saying is elite P5 WRs don’t need to be taught how to catch a football. These guys attend camps all the time and most are coached by guys who can help them with the SUPER BASIC task of catching a football.

And I absolutely believe most drops in games are mental. They’re not dropping easy passes because they’re trying to catch them with their feet. Same reason you see QBs who can’t miss in drills all of s sudden look clueless in live action. Or veteran kickers who can kick 40 yard FGs blindfolded in practice miss them with the game on the line.

Often when a WR drops a pass it gets in his head and the ball looks like a grain of salt in a cyclone coming at him. That’s been happening since forever. Having the “technical” skills to catch a football has little bearing on if you will do it in front of 70k screaming people especially after you already dropped the first one.

On top of all that, some dudes just have natural hands and some don’t. The ones who don’t will usually struggle to catch the ball consistently their whole career. It’s a little like accuracy with QBs. Most of the time you’re not going to improve a guy’s accuracy all that much once he gets to this level unless you install a dink and dunk offense where guys are 5 yards open every play.

I’m not ready to go with the blind “Trust Enos” mantra we see on here every time we get new coaches. I love the Enos hire, but I can assure you he’s not doing anything so outlandish that thousands of competent assistants couldn’t teach it to the WR group.

I’m sure it was Enos’s call to hire Stubblefield. Where was stubblefield when Enos got the Arkansas OC gig? Curious why he didn’t wind up there if he’s so essential.

Different circumstances? Did Bulimia clean house on offense and start from scratch when he hired Enos? Did Enos have the same cred back then to ask for 1.5 mil?

I never said Stubbs was essential but he may have been the best guy available right now that Enos also felt comfortable with. Anyways, we about beat this to a pulp. Just hope it works out in the end.

How is he bad at recruiting? Is he suppose to get 5* WR to come to Wake and Utah? Better yet Air Force and Illinois St? You have to put it in perspective. You're only as good a recruiter as the institution you work for, not to mention the Offense you play for. If you want stud WR you need a few things...a top 20 school, a pass happy offense, and a QB who can sling the rock. Hence why Oklahoma and Clemson have studs at WR.

As far as career progression. New Mexico was unquestionably a step up from CMU, and Wake Forest step up from New Mexico. Utah is clearly better than all of those so how do these steps not make sense??? Not to mention I'm pretty Utah was a top 20 program I think back then. Looking them up, They were 9-4 and 10-3 while Stubblefield was there. Cry all you want. The hire is made. Support your coach. Boiler Up!!!

Advertisement
Back