Taylor Stubblefield

I hate this hire. I don't know how good or bad he is as a recruiter and a coach. But him changing jobs every year for the last ten years is not a good sign for any job in any industry. And it's even worse that they were all for the same position...

I do love the fields hire though

Advertisement
BTW I also saw an article from his time at Utah a couple of years ago where one of his receivers said that Stubblefield wasn't structured and didn't seem to demand enough of his players and attributed that to the coach being young and becoming too comfortable...

I find it hard to believe this is the best we could do at WR coach. Enos must've said I need atleast two of my guys that have been with me before. His resume shows that he likes to jump around so he probably wont be here long anyway.

Advertisement
SIAP

Just doing a little research on him and found this on the chips board and found their take on him interesting.
stub.png

I think Enos asked for him, so he gets a pass. Didn't like the hire, would prefer somebody with a sucessful stint somewhere else or recruiting prowess. Anyway, I think he'll get one year. If he can get recruiting going and the WRs are playing well he'll be back, if not I doubt Manny will keep the dead weight after what happened with CMR

So you hire a WR coach at this level of football to teach guys how to catch? Guys drop balls in games mainly because of lack of concentration or they choke. That’s got nothing to do with the WR coach.

Wiggins can probably catch 100 balls in a row in practice, but he choked in games.

Agree to disagree. The prior regime focused on blocking and 3 basic routes on the tree. Wiggins was playing due to blocking. Same with brick hands Cager. Harley dropped more than a stripper at KOD. More reps on the jug machine and less stalk blocking Sun-Fri needed.

Advertisement
We have a really talented receiving room right now. This guy just needs to coach them up and the results will recruit for us.

Dugans “the recruiter” brought us one guy who made any impact (Jeff Thomas) and he left the team.

Not to mention, The other kids he landed all had ties to the program (hightower/Njoku) or he got serious assistance (wiggins/pope).

Ezzard was a get although we were aided by Jimbo Leaving FSU. Mike Harley’s best offer was WVU.

Of all these guys, Hightower was the only one who looked prepared to play Div 1 ball and I think that’s probably from coaching he received outside UM.

He did land Payton this cycle, but missed on every other reciever he targeted.

My point is, a guy hired to recruit didn’t help us get results. So I’m happy if we hired a guy who will.

So you hire a WR coach at this level of football to teach guys how to catch? Guys drop balls in games mainly because of lack of concentration or they choke. That’s got nothing to do with the WR coach.

Wiggins can probably catch 100 balls in a row in practice, but he choked in games.

Couldn't be farther from the truth.

BTW I also saw an article from his time at Utah a couple of years ago where one of his receivers said that Stubblefield wasn't structured and didn't seem to demand enough of his players and attributed that to the coach being young and becoming too comfortable...

I do not know if he is good or not. Have not followed these teams. However, he was at Utah nearly 5 years ago when he was 31 years old. Is it not possible that he matured, developed, whatever as a coach and professional since then?

Advertisement
I do not know if he is good or not. Have not followed these teams. However, he was at Utah nearly 5 years ago when he was 31 years old. Is it not possible that he matured, developed, whatever as a coach and professional since then?

I hope not. If he really was like that at Utah, then that's who he was at CMU. And that's who Enos identified as being a "good" WR coach.

If anything, I'm hoping the article is just flat out wrong instead of it being right but he's "changed." Because then, what the **** would there to even like about him? "Here's this guy that can't recruit for sh*t. And back when I knew him he was unstructured and didn't demand enough of his players as a coach. That's my guy, Manny. Bring him in, he's maybe changed."

If Enos wants him, Manny will defer to him. He coached at Central Michigan when Enos was HC. There's your connection.
Knows Enos' system, terminology, routes, packages, etc. Enos wants his system and the guys to teach it to the offense. Manny is stepping out of the way and letting Enos do his thing. If it don't work, do ya think Manny will sit around and keep someone on staff if they don't produce? :)

Advertisement
I’m less concerned with the WRs coaching position but can someone please tell me what experience Patke has running special teams? Mind you we have the worst special teams in the nation so it will be a monumental effort turning that unit around.

No one is reinventing the wheel at this point as a WR coach. There are thousands of guys out there who all know the same stuff from a coaching standpoint at the WR spot. What differentiates guys at this level is the ability to recruit.

Enos is going to scheme it up and tell his position coaches what he needs from them. Enos will make the offense click. We need dogs to go out there and get him players.

It seems Enos is picking some of the guys he wants as position coaches (oline, wr), what I don't understand in your argument is why the wr coach in particular has to be a recruiting dog as opposed to your te coach, or maybe your rb coach? Are they restricted from recruiting outside their position groups?

I understand the need to have good recruiters on staff which it seems we do have with guys like Cooney and Fields. Hickson may open doors in Broward that Rumph failed to do. But I just don't get the argument that the good recruiters have to be coaches of certain position groups. Ideally, your coaches should be good at both teaching and recruiting. Practically, I doubt this is a realistic expectation.

If you have faith in Enos to get the job done on offense which you apparently have, that should include faith in his judgement to recommend the guys he specifically wants to make that happen. I have no doubt Stubblefield was hired because of Enos.

I would have rather Kevin Beard, I think he did an awesome job with our WR. I would have also liked someone young and upcoming like the dude from Ball St. I am sure the S&C coach knows him.

I hate this hire. I don't know how good or bad he is as a recruiter and a coach. But him changing jobs every year for the last ten years is not a good sign for any job in any industry. And it's even worse that they were all for the same position...

I do love the fields hire though

I think This is the sentiment of the whole board.... Just have to let it play out for now...

JC

Advertisement
Back