Taylor Stubblefield

BTW I also saw an article from his time at Utah a couple of years ago where one of his receivers said that Stubblefield wasn't structured and didn't seem to demand enough of his players and attributed that to the coach being young and becoming too comfortable...

Can you post the link?

Advertisement
He wasn’t horrendous recruting at Utah. Some 84-86 ish 3* guys I think I seen. I’m not saying it’s a slam dunk by any means but he was never really at a school that you can land big fish at.
This doesn't say much of anything about his recruiting prowess. Ok, he landed a few mid-3s. But..

Who were Utah's targets?
What were their needs?
Who did he miss on?
How did he fare in 1-on-1 recruiting battles with other schools?
How did he prioritize his time/resources?
What was his pitch?
How did he prioritize the hierarchy of needs vs. likely gets?

"He landed a few 3 stars" doesn't really cut it. And his record suggests he was quite trash in the areas I have listed. These areas will be magnified enormously in South Florida, in the ACC, and in 1-on-1 battles with F$U.

Advertisement
It seems Enos is picking some of the guys he wants as position coaches (oline, wr), what I don't understand in your argument is why the wr coach in particular has to be a recruiting dog as opposed to your te coach, or maybe your rb coach? Are they restricted from recruiting outside their position groups?

I understand the need to have good recruiters on staff which it seems we do have with guys like Cooney and Fields. Hickson may open doors in Broward that Rumph failed to do. But I just don't get the argument that the good recruiters have to be coaches of certain position groups. Ideally, your coaches should be good at both teaching and recruiting. Practically, I doubt this is a realistic expectation.

If you have faith in Enos to get the job done on offense which you apparently have, that should include faith in his judgement to recommend the guys he specifically wants to make that happen. I have no doubt Stubblefield was hired because of Enos.
It’s not “either or.” You can hire competent position coaches who are also dogs on the recruiting trail. Almost every position coach needs to be a plus recruiter. Otherwise, you get your *** kicked on the trail.

If you’re coaching at this level with today’s tech and all the myriad clinics and such you should know everything everyone else knows as a WR coach. It’s not neuroscience. It’s pretty basic coaching 8 guys and teaching them what the OC tells you to teach them.

It’s the same reason I told everyone Simpson would be an upgrade over Tool. And I was right. Simpson, in today’s high tech world, knows everything Tool knows. But he’s got infinitely more energy and drive.

There are no magic potions with these position coaches. They have no magic elixirs that other competent position coaches don’t have access to.

27 pages on a wr coach.... If hes terrible Manny will have him gone by next season. Let it play out

It’s not “either or.” You can hire competent position coaches who are also dogs on the recruiting trail. Almost every position coach needs to be a plus recruiter. Otherwise, you get your *** kicked on the trail.

If you’re coaching at this level with today’s tech and all the myriad clinics and such you should know everything everyone else knows as a WR coach. It’s not neuroscience. It’s pretty basic coaching 8 guys and teaching them what the OC tells you to teach them.

It’s the same reason I told everyone Simpson would be an upgrade over Tool. And I was right. Simpson, in today’s high tech world, knows everything Tool knows. But he’s got infinitely more energy and drive.

There are no magic potions with these position coaches. They have no magic elixirs that other competent position coaches don’t have access to.

while simpson is an upgrade, it didn't help us land our top 2 Dline targets in SFL, which Kul did. the guy can be a moron recruiter, but if we win games consistently, these kids won't care. they'll go to the program that's winning.

This doesn't say much of anything about his recruiting prowess. Ok, he landed a few mid-3s. But..

Who were Utah's targets?
What were their needs?
Who did he miss on?
How did he fare in 1-on-1 recruiting battles with other schools?
How did he prioritize his time/resources?
What was his pitch?
How did he prioritize the hierarchy of needs vs. likely gets?

"He landed a few 3 stars" doesn't really cut it. And his record suggests he was quite trash in the areas I have listed. These areas will be magnified enormously in South Florida, in the ACC, and in 1-on-1 battles with F$U.

It's also Utah. You aren't battling schools for top-tier talent. You are going after 2nd or 3rd tier kids. We had this same convo when Richt allowed Manny to pick his own staff, and that turned out to be fine. Let's just see how it plays out. If Stubblefield is a technician and can teach, I'm good. We put Field and Cooney out there to recruit.

Advertisement
He got fired at Utah because he was an abomination as a recruiter.

if we win games, it doesn't matter what his rep as a recruiter is. kids will follow the school thats winning and winning big. we hd coley here and we kept striking out. meanwhile, kul couldn't recruit for **** but goes to bama and our top 2 targets are crediting him for the reason they went there. the real reason is bama wins and we don't.

I understand the need to have good recruiters on staff which it seems we do have with guys like Cooney and Fields. Hickson may open doors in Broward that Rumph failed to do. But I just don't get the argument that the good recruiters have to be coaches of certain position groups. Ideally, your coaches should be good at both teaching and recruiting. Practically, I doubt this is a realistic expectation.

If you have faith in Enos to get the job done on offense which you apparently have, that should include faith in his judgement to recommend the guys he specifically wants to make that happen. I have no doubt Stubblefield was hired because of Enos.

But then you do get the general argument.

As you said, practically speaking, it's very difficult to get guys that are really good at both recruiting and teaching, for every position. So frequently, sacrifices need to be made. Logically, it's easy to see why you would sacrifice having an elite recruiter at the OL coach position, while demanding an elite recruiter at the RB Coach position. It doesn't HAVE to be that way, but the logic is easy to understand why it tends to fall that way.

WR Coach also tends to be a more recruiting based position. It's a position group where freshmen can make just about the biggest impact outside of RB. You don't have to "teach" A. Richards, you just turn him loose on the world as a true freshman. What you do have to do is beat out Bama for Richards though.

But you're right that it doesn't have to be that way in terms of recruiting positions. I think one reason why many of us are disappointed, is because this staff is still set up for it to be that way.

The TE Coach is an elite recruiting hire. Great. Who else on the offense is? The RB Coach seems to have upside, but he's a huge wildcard we're hoping can be more. It's easier to justify Stubblefield at WR, if you don't have this giant question mark at RB Coach. And it's easier to justify the RB Coach being a wild card, if you've landed a recruiting stud at WR Coach.
But to construct a staff where the WR coach appears to be a loss on the trail, and the RB Coach is an unknown? At that point you've really got nothing to show for the two positions that require at least one recruiting stud.

People can say that the WR Coach doesn't need to be a recruiting stud in theory. But on this staff, as it is presently constructed, the WR Coach needed to be a recruiting stud.

It's also Utah. You aren't battling schools for top-tier talent. You are going after 2nd or 3rd tier kids. We had this same convo when Richt allowed Manny to pick his own staff, and that turned out to be fine. Let's just see how it plays out. If Stubblefield is a technician and can teach, I'm good. We put Field and Cooney out there to recruit.

Did it? I agree that in terms of teachers, the defensive side turned out to be fine. But anybody arguing there aren't talent acquisition concerns from the defensive side of the ball, is being willfully blind.

I hope not. If he really was like that at Utah, then that's who he was at CMU. And that's who Enos identified as being a "good" WR coach.

If anything, I'm hoping the article is just flat out wrong instead of it being right but he's "changed." Because then, what the **** would there to even like about him? "Here's this guy that can't recruit for sh*t. And back when I knew him he was unstructured and didn't demand enough of his players as a coach. That's my guy, Manny. Bring him in, he's maybe changed."

That's fair. To be clear, this is the one hire I am more unsure of than others. It is not a blind homer stance. I just hope they looked at where these guys are now.

Advertisement
This is Diaz’s one shot at his dream job and Enos is in competent enough and in enough demand to put together a staff of the guys he needs/wants to accomplish the mission. I don’t think they’re going to go to war w crappy supporting cast...maybe they will tho. Who really knows? So far, I’ve been pleasantly surprised and impressed with what’s been going w the program. I’m thinking Manny IS a savage w a vision. Who knows, this crew could gel and turn out to be one of our best staffs ever. Gonna be exciting to see how it plays out. Hey, at least Searles is gone; and not only do we have a high stepping swaging QB, but we have a punter covered in Tats🙌🙌🙌

I'm just feeling let down after some hires I really liked (Enos, Baker, Field).

I have followed Stubblefield's career because I am a big Purdue fan which led me to this board to see people reaction to the hire. I have a couple of thoughts and comments.

1. Stubbs was an undersized, slow (4.7) wide out who basically broke and challenged every Big 10 and National Record. You don't do that unless you are a technician especially when you 5'10 and run a 4.7
2. All of his moves, with the exception of Utah, have been for obvious promotions or because the HC who hired him was fired. Its not that he is a job hopping, it more that tenured HC hired him when they were on the chopping block.
3. He coached a few NFL WR...off the top of my head I know a kid at Wake played for the Ravens and I think he had a stud WR at CMU or the Illinois school he coached at.
4. This article about his being fired at Utah is interesting to me. It mentioned how the best WR on the team got hurt right before he got there and also how he was high energy and provided what seems to be useful feedback
http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=3343976&itype=CMSID
5. How many 5* WR has Utah ever got? The HC there is a defensive guy. He probably hates the pass happy state of college football today. Honestly, if you're a 4 or 5 star WR why the heck would you go to Utah when you would certainly have offers from Washington, USC, UCLA (location alone makes that appealing), not to mention Texas, Oklahoma, gunslinging Ok St, Baylor Back then etc etc. Unless you're into Utah chicks then who would go to Utah with all the other options you would have. I know I wouldn't. Kids that go to Utah are the ones who are the left overs from the Big Schools.
6. Recruiting generally is coaches working together. The WR coach doesn't just recruit WR. So if recruiting sucks, it generally speaks to the staff in general not just the individual. Most schools coaches are assigned a geography so if Stubblefield had Atlanta, Florida, Louisiana, and South Carolina for example (randomly picking places) imagine how hard that would be to recruit kids to Utah. I'm talking 4-5* kids. It's impossible unless the kid is desperate. Even if the kid is Mormon you don't have an in because they are going to BYU not Utah

I'm not necessarily making excuses for Stubbs but as someone who has followed his playing and professional career what I will say is that I have zero doubt he will make your receivers better. He was so talented at the things that are teachable that I am certain he can pass those on to players. As far as his recruiting ability, I agree that he is unproven. However, being unproven and being bad are not the same thing. Slap that U on his chest with a pass happy Offense and finally a good QB with Tate coming in and I won't be surprised if 2 years from now people on this thread are trying to bury it and eating crow. Quit whining and support your team. Best of luck unless you meet Purdue along your travels. Boiler Up!!

Advertisement

I don't disagree, but if Enos was looking for a guy familiar with his system, and who can competently teach his system to wrs, and that hypothetical guy who can teach his system and recruit well does not exist (I am assuming he doesn't for sake of argument), what do you want him to do? Maybe the tradeoff in this case was getting Fields who was available (and Manny wanted). I really don't know all the circumstances and options Enos had available, but I do understand the difference between what is possible and what is actual. While getting a good coach who can also recruit is certainly possible it may not have been feasible and you go with a tradeoff instead to balance things out.

I don't disagree, but if Enos was looking for a guy familiar with his system, and who can competently teach his system to wrs, and that hypothetical guy who can teach his system and recruit well does not exist (I am assuming he doesn't for sake of argument), what do you want him to do? Maybe the tradeoff in this case was getting Fields who was available (and Manny wanted). I really don't know all the circumstances and options Enos had available, but I do understand the difference between what is possible and what is actual. While getting a good coach who can also recruit is certainly possible it may not have been feasible and you go with a tradeoff instead to balance things out.

If we hired a guy whose system is so complicated it can't be taught to a new WR coach, but instead we need to go to the Island of Misfit WR Coaches to find somebody familiar with it, that's a bigger indictment than the WR coach himself.

I know a lot of you guys are underwhelmed by some of the hires but let's give them a chance.

I get it that we have had some bums.

Advertisement
Back