Taulia Tagovailoa

Ask yourself this question, and answer honestly. Would we even be talking about this guy this much, if his last name wasn’t Tagovailoa?

If he was just some quarterback, with the same exact high school records, and college stats, that was tired of riding the pine at Alabama, would we be having a 20 page thread on him?

Of course, he merits some conversation, simply because his big brother is in town with a $30 million contract.

But based on talent, ability and potential future, would we be having this type of angst if he was the same guy, but the circumstances weren’t as they are?

You seem fixated on the fact that Taulia isn't a clone of his brother. That is true. Tua is a true dual threat; Taulia is more of a pocket passer. However, I think you are vastly underrating how good a passer Taulia is.

Hawaii's all time HS passing record is 8201 yards over four seasons (set in 2018 by named Dillon Gabriel, who broke Tuas record of around 8100 yards). Taulia had 6703 after his sophomore season. He was within 1500 yards of the all time passer in state history with TWO full seasons to go. And this wasn't just a overblown number because of weak HS football in Hawaii.

In his junior and senior years playing Alabama HS football, he passed for 7504 yards in just 2 years- the Alabama HS record of 10772 was set by a fella named Jamarcus Russell over a 4 year period. He was also a 64% passer for his career, so I don't know where you get the idea of inaccuracy.

Taulia is basically the textbook Urban Meyer QB- well coached with an understanding of
college offense (June Jones was his OC at Kapolei HS in HI), a TD machine (135 TDs), can improvise when plays break down, cannon arm (beat all QBs at Elite 11 with 65 yard toss), and a hypercompetitive player that hates losing. He's not a NFL QB like Tua, but he is more than capable of being an elite college QB. I think he balls at Maryland (shows that he wants to step out of his brothers shadow), and in a couple years Canes fans will be whining that Miami didn't try hard enough to sign him.

And yes- I would be saying the same thing if his name was Ricky Bobby, not Tagavoila. I am a big believer in Urban Meyers QB philosophy, but most Miami fans are still obsessed with getting NFL-sized QBs to run a pro style offense.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Taulia looks like he's got a stronger arm than Tua. I wonder if it's because his father didn't make him learn to throw with his left arm, like Tua. Still don't understand the thought process behind that.

Advertisement
Taulia looks like he's got a stronger arm than Tua. I wonder if it's because his father didn't make him learn to throw with his left arm, like Tua. Still don't understand the thought process behind that.
It's worked out okay for him

Advertisement
Sitkowski didnt even play and no catches for Hightower.
I guess the starter was back from injury at QB. Did Hightower even dress? Not sure I saw him out there the previous games which I caught a bit of.

Smith put nothing on the stat sheet last night either, but had some numbers the first two games.

I guess the starter was back from injury at QB. Did Hightower even dress? Not sure I saw him out there the previous games which I caught a bit of.

Smith put nothing on the stat sheet last night either, but had some numbers the first two games.
According to Rotoworld, Hightower was battling a soft tissue injury since end of August. However, HC Bret Bielema said that he was available for the game last week against UVA. Perhaps, they're slowly bringing him back. But yeah, he didn't have any stats last week as well.

Advertisement
According to Rotoworld, Hightower was battling a soft tissue injury since end of August. However, HC Bret Bielema said that he was available for the game last week against UVA. Perhaps, they're slowly bringing him back. But yeah, he didn't have any stats last week as well.
Thanks. Great intel.

Translation for CIS - Bielema is keeping him off the field due to favoritism using injury as a smoke screen.

Idk what happened at Bama with him or maybe he just wasn’t feeling playing high school ball down there. I heard that some people back on the island thought that he would eventually be better than Tua.

Advertisement
Back