Tate Martell

Agree to a point BUT, with a coaching change the new coach is usually itching to get "his guy" at QB - in Day's case it was Fields. He got his guy and everyone knew it. And it cuts both ways, IMO. That's why I'm intrigued at the whole "clean slate" thing Manny is espousing. I want to see how it actually plays out, because right now Martell is "Manny's Guy" - the QB that Manny/Enos really went out of their way to get (Matocha notwithstanding.) May the best man win.
This is a good post no argument here bro

Advertisement
It's always better to have competition for a position. Especially one that's so important as QB. A QB's having confidence along with having ability is so important. Some things outside of having ability and confidence sometimes have to be taught.

Strong fair competition makes everyone better. Let's hope whoever is finally selected can actually do the job on the field.

Hopefully we are all putting the team first and not playing favorites because fact is we know very little about these candidates actual on field capabilities because of how they were or were not used.

Martell was rarely used at OSU except when the games were out of reach, Jarren was never used, what if he were?, Weldon had his *** eye problems, what if he were given a chance? and I will always wonder WHAT IF Richt didn't pull Nkosi out against Virginia and showed more confidence in him to recover. We can only guess from the sidelines.

I'm not holding the past against anyone because I feel that the past coaches for whatever reasons did NOT or were NOT able to get the best out of the candidates or help them to grow. I always appreciated hearing about the alums from other positions coming back. I've always wanted to hear more about our QB alums coming back. I remember how shocked I was to hear that when he was a backup Rosier for whatever reason was not well versed in film study. Everyone doesn't come here fully aware and fully developed about the mental side of playing QB.

Frankly I'm not writing anyone off or giving anyone a leg up on winning the job. Enos and the new intense competition will help them ALL improve and grow now as they should.

In the past when we used to be QB U we had that and expectations. Our QB's learned from alums, the coaches and each other.

May the best man win, and whoever that is let's give him or support because our hardest game may be our first.

Last edited:
Right...Ken Dorsey wasn't exactly an arm talent. But, he was a winner big time.

As much as I like Dorsey .....I also remember that while he he was here ....that you could almost count on one hand the times he was sacked each season.

The greatest team EVER in college football had ungodly talent, dedication, desire and prepared themselves in ways that were off the charts. They simply refused to lose

Your teammates play a HUGE role in making a QB a winner.

The lack of history favors Martell. The team has seen Perry struggle and they've seen Williams demoralized. They've seen no weakness out of Martell so far, just work ethic and discipline.

To a degree....But realistically they are ALL largely unproven.

I much as I hated them OSU definitely stresses the importance of doing all things the OSU way.

Hopefully our QB's all learn work ethic and discipline from him and Enos. Unfortunately seems that it wasn't stressed enough by the last regime.

But you still have to prove yourself on the field

Advertisement
Remember when many of you passionately argued for “Kosi da gaaaawwww” as the man who was going to be the savior?

Yea, me too.

Pump the brakes on your favorite and realize that after 2 days of tip toe practice in shorts you have zero clue.

SPOILER: none of you will have a clue at the end of spring practice, either. Although some of you are going to passionately argue for this guy or that guy after spring practice. When you do that remember this: you were probably one of the guys that was screaming from the rafters “KOSI DA GAAAWWWWW” just a couple of years ago.
Amen brother..........our opinions and minds re QB's are as Liquid as it can get........all are moving targets on any given day, hour, month or practice.
Great entertainment to read.
Cats on a hot tin roof have nothing on some of these posters comments after 3 days of practice.
it is totally hilarious.

Many people that age go through idiot phases, especially when they have little guidance or leadership around them. Not fair to write him off. While the odds that he'll be "the man" among the three QBs may be lower, all three should be starting with a blank slate.

Yes they can grow up and change.
Don’t agree on clean slate.
How they accounted for themselves last season is still relevant to whether they will repeat that in the future.

It's weird that people have "their guy" a few days in to spring practice based on a couple of reports. Gut instinct says Tate wins with Jarren on his heels. That being said, I'd be perfectly fine with Jarren or Kosi winning the job if Coach Enos feel like they are the best option for us to win games. At the end of the day, that's all that matters.

Good news is whoever rises to the top will have earned it, not stumbled backwards into the job like some previous years.

It’s amazing, it’s the hot take society.

I’m rooting for the guy who’ll play the best , you know why? I’m a canes fan , not a particular qb fan.

Advertisement
If Diaz wants more 4 and 5 star transfers in the future, isn't it in his interest to name Tate the starter? Unless one of the other two is head and shoulders better? Just asking the obvious.

Yal seem to be trying to give Jarren the benefit of the doubt but refuse to do the same for Perry over a video .

Was Williams not also suspended last year ? Was he not also unable to unseat Rosier in Richts mind ?

How is it it “seems” like Jarren has done a 180 while Perry has apparently proven he won’t do extra work , yet Perry is ahead of Williams on the depth chart that Diaz said was based on effort and the offseason work ?
There was no depth chart at QB. Unlike the other positions, only 1 QB can play at a time, so someone HAS TO take reps first. The coaches said the QBs are 1a, b, and c right now.

You guys are starting the heel-digging. Everyone is getting entrenched in their arguments with almost no factual basis to support any of the arguments.

I believe Diaz when he promised everyone a clean slate and a fair shot. They’ll select the guy they think gives us the best shot to win right now. They might get it wrong because there’s no science to this stuff, and, if they do, we’ll see how they react.

I can see Tate starting and Williams getting plenty of playing time in the third and fourth quarters after we beat down everybody.

Advertisement
There was no depth chart at QB. Unlike the other positions, only 1 QB can play at a time, so someone HAS TO take reps first. The coaches said the QBs are 1a, b, and c right now.

You guys are starting the heel-digging. Everyone is getting entrenched in their arguments with almost no factual basis to support any of the arguments.

I believe Diaz when he promised everyone a clean slate and a fair shot. They’ll select the guy they think gives us the best shot to win right now. They might get it wrong because there’s no science to this stuff, and, if they do, we’ll see how they react.
I truly don’t have an argument . I’m in the mode of just waiting and seeing who tf takes the 1st snap game one and go from there . I’m just tired of ppl coming up with bs reasons as to with this guy or that guy will or won’t be the starter

I could have sworn I saw an interview with Diaz saying the ‘depth charts’ were in order of who performed best in the workouts , obviously not solid depth charts on the 1st day of practice but the order of the reps taken wasn’t by accident. It was Enos who said the 1A 1B 1C comment

Advertisement
Nkosi’s done dumb **** since he got here, f’d around and couldn’t beat out Malik when we badly needed him to, apparently didn’t take things seriously and didn’t look great when he got his chance. Not traits you want at the most important position on the field. That’s his resume to this point.

He’s a talented dude and it means great things for us if he has turned it around but there’s a reason a lot of us are skeptical. He earned the skepticism. Reap, sow.
Ok , and what is Williams resume ? He also couldn’t beat out Rosier OR Perry , also got suspended, apparently wasn’t taking sht serious evidenced by his weight gain, and also nearly entered the portal . Why isn’t he getting scrutinized like Perry ?

Personally I’d like to see Williams start but I’m fine with whoever is the best playing period. And don’t understand the double standard being played by fans when it comes to Perry

Yeah so you goofies can stop... Wait before I continue, what seems to be your issue with the YOUNG man?
Take a look at last season after the FSU game and you’ll find your answer. Add to the fact he’s about as mature as my left nut. I don’t want a guy starting qb for Miami who acts like a ******* clown on social media and probably in person.

I truly don’t have an argument . I’m in the mode of just waiting and seeing who tf takes the 1st snap game one and go from there . I’m just tired of ppl coming up with bs reasons as to with this guy or that guy will or won’t be the starter

I could have sworn I saw an interview with Diaz saying the ‘depth charts’ were in order of who performed best in the workouts , obviously not solid depth charts on the 1st day of practice but the order of the reps taken wasn’t by accident. It was Enos who said the 1A 1B 1C comment
You did hear Diaz say that about offseason work. But there was no depth chart at QB. Someone has to take the first rep. Enos is in charge of the QBs, and he made it clear there’s currently no depth chart at QB.

Let’s just enjoy the competition and see if anyone truly separates himself or if it’ll just come to a “gut feeling” or something like that.

You did hear Diaz say that about offseason work. But there was no depth chart at QB. Someone has to take the first rep. Enos is in charge of the QBs, and he made it clear there’s currently no depth chart at QB.

Let’s just enjoy the competition and see if anyone truly separates himself or if it’ll just come to a “gut feeling” or something like that.

It’s amazing. Diaz actually said, verbatim, “there is no depth chart” when asked about the quarterbacks. I don’t know how much more clear it could’ve been made.

I promise you, there’s gonna be a group in here claiming that the starter has been secretly chosen in the minds of the coaches, they’re just not releasing it yet, and those porsters are going to be reassuring us who that starter is.

My guess, and it’s only a guess, is that I don’t think the coaches are going to have their mind set who the starter is until sometime in the summer months.

And hopefully, we have 2 other guys ready to go, in case the first named starter is not hitting it on all cylinders

Advertisement
Back