Tate Martell 👀

I'm sure he wouldn't have left if there wasnt a slim chance to play right away so you may be right

Otherwise he would have just been a back up this year and transfered next year to play immediately

I have no inside info but thinking it over there has to be a reason he is staying in Columbus for the Spring semester rather than transferring immediately. If his only chance to play next year is a hardship waiver from the NCAA why wouldn't he transfer immediately and hope for the best. A case could be made that staying in Columbus for the Spring would hurt the hardship waiver as it would go against the argument that you have a hardship of some sort.

Advertisement
That would be crazy if Martell can graduate in two years. IIRC, he enrolled January '17.

He was on campus for 5 typical semesters and took classing during both summer sessions. Would not be hard to do and probably even came in from Gorman with a class or two squared away. If he was going the waiver route he would have an atty like Fields/Patterson (I believe they used the same guy actually) as his mouthpiece during this process. I think he knows he has the credits lined up to graduate and move on.

I have no inside info but thinking it over there has to be a reason he is staying in Columbus for the Spring semester rather than transferring immediately. If his only chance to play next year is a hardship waiver from the NCAA why wouldn't he transfer immediately and hope for the best. A case could be made that staying in Columbus for the Spring would hurt the hardship waiver as it would go against the argument that you have a hardship of some sort.

He would have to come in to college with a decent amount of credits that OSU recognized. AND he would have to carry a pretty darn near full course load every semester to graduate like this. I don't know how many or what the situation is with on line courses at OSU. Some schools are way more lenient with that.

He was on campus for 5 typical semesters and took classing during both summer sessions. Would not be hard to do and probably even came in from Gorman with a class or two squared away. If he was going the waiver route he would have an atty like Fields/Patterson (I believe they used the same guy actually) as his mouthpiece during this process. I think he knows he has the credits lined up to graduate and move on.

That would be such a busy two years for him! OSU Spring Semester started last week. If he stays at OSU this semester, he's graduating. If he transfers now, will petition NCAA or sit out '19.

He would have to come in to college with a decent amount of credits that OSU recognized. AND he would have to carry a pretty darn near full course load every semester to graduate like this. I don't know how many or what the situation is with on line courses at OSU. Some schools are way more lenient with that.

Not necessarily. If he enrolled in January 2017 that means he already finished 5 semesters. The upcoming Spring semester would be 6. He would have had 4 summers sessions where he may have taken a class during each so that gets him close to another meaning he would need about a semesters worth of credits from courses taken in high school. That is not out of the realm of possibility. However, it is all speculation since none of us know what he took in high school or while at OSU but it would explain staying in Columbus for the Spring semester rather than transferring immediately especially since it would be in his best interest to be where ever for Spring ball if he was going the waiver route. He isn't sticking around for the weather.

Advertisement
That would be such a busy two years for him! OSU Spring Semester started last week. If he stays at OSU this semester, he's graduating. If he transfers now, will petition NCAA or sit out '19.

I don't disagree that it would be busy but its certainly doable, especially since you can actually knock out almost a semester and a half during each summer. I think the fact that (AS OF NOW) he is planning to stay in Columbus through the spring is telling, and the lack of an atty in the process leads me to believe he will graduate and transfer.

You take Martell regardless of whether he can play in ‘19 or not. Otherwise we could have Williams and a single backup going into ‘20. You don’t play the next year stuff. Just get them here and let the dominoes (attrition) fall where they may.

QB depth will be more important than ever with the new transfer rules and the NCAA granting out hardships for immediate eligibility like it’s an ice cream truck in the summer.

I don't disagree that it would be busy but its certainly doable, especially since you can actually knock out almost a semester and a half during each summer. I think the fact that (AS OF NOW) he is planning to stay in Columbus through the spring is telling, and the lack of an atty in the process leads me to believe he will graduate and transfer.[

Spoke to someone in O$U Football Ops and Tate will graduate this spring barring any hiccups. T Good is 100% correct, no petitioning the NCAA for immediate eligibility and no legal involvement in Cbus. However, let's not enshrine him in Canton, played in mop up roles for the Buckeyes in blowouts. From what I saw from our guys, he'd be a welcomed addition.

Advertisement
You take Martell regardless of whether he can play in ‘19 or not. Otherwise we could have Williams and a single backup going into ‘20. You don’t play the next year stuff. Just get them here and let the dominoes (attrition) fall where they may.

QB depth will be more important than ever with the new transfer rules and the NCAA granting out hardships for immediate eligibility like it’s an ice cream truck in the summer.

Yup. You approach this entire situation as if you have zero QBs on the roster for 2020 right now. You go all in for Hurts, Martell, Plumlee and possibly other grad transfers if Hurts doesn't materialize.

And none of this is even a real slight at Jarren (you keep re-emphasizing with him that he hasn't had his "shot" yet) but more at N'Kushi and the absolute lack of any depth right now in the QB room.

That would be crazy if Martell can graduate in two years. IIRC, he enrolled January '17.
Not that far fetched if he came in with college credit. Spring, summer 1, summer 2, and fall in both 2017 and 2018. Maybe throw a winter class in there and then spring of 2019. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility. Programs tend to like to keep their athletes around campus year round and the only way to do that is to push taking classes each semester offered including summer and winter.

IIRC Boulware graduated in 3 years from Tennessee and I don’t think he enrolled early his freshman year so it would be the same concept

Not that far fetched if he came in with college credit. Spring, summer 1, summer 2, and fall in both 2017 and 2018. Maybe throw a winter class in there and then spring of 2019. I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility. Programs tend to like to keep their athletes around campus year round and the only way to do that is to push taking classes each semester offered including summer and winter.

IIRC Boulware graduated in 3 years from Tennessee and I don’t think he enrolled early his freshman year so it would be the same concept

Boulware showed us he is not the brightest dude after he declared for the draft after not being able to consistently start on our OL, so clearly it can be done.

Classes at Ohio St are easier than at Miami High, it makes a lot of sense

Advertisement
Advertisement
They offer a lot of online classes. Kids can take them in high school also.

Advertisement
Back