Tampa Bay Bucs assistant OC coach Butch Barry is expected to become the new O-line coach

"In 2015, his first season with the team, Barry assisted an offensive line that featured two rookie starters, but still managed to block for the NFL’s second-leading rusher (Doug Martin – 1,402 yards) and tied for the fourth-fewest sacks allowed in the league, after ranking 29th in rushing and 29th in sacks allowed in the previous season."

I guess things must've went downhill from there?
Yes. The OL became a dumpster fire. The Bucs couldn't run and got poor pass blocking. But, we will see.

Advertisement
my season tickets are directly behind the OL line bench. Searles was a high energy guy also, i have great video of him yelling at players inches away from their face. but that didn't get them to play better.

high energy is not the most important criterion to being a good OL coach.

indeed.

most, if not all, OL coaches are crazy "high energy."

doesn't mean they are good at their jobs.

they funny thing is, the way they keep score in a football game, i'm not sure you get points for "loudest coach." …. let me check on that and get back to you.

Advertisement
my season tickets are directly behind the OL line bench. Searles was a high energy guy also, i have great video of him yelling at players inches away from their face. but that didn't get them to play better.

high energy is not the most important criterion to being a good OL coach.

I meant high energy in an encouraging sense, I’m well aware that Searles just yelled at kids and sweated through all his jackets lol. Regardless, this guy should be a decent hire when it’s all said and done hopefully.

Manny signed off on this so we'll see....if he's worse than Searles we'll know quickly, but this is why ik ok with this for now is schematically Enos knows him and his capabilities.

Also the guy has don't something right in his career to make it to the NFL for 4 years

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Bucs OL was a huge disappointment this year. Here's a fan's perspective:

The protection schemes were sound but individual players did not perform or develop. Donovan Smith had his worst season with lots of low effort snaps leading to sacks and penalties. Ali Marpet was solid. Ryan Jensen was mediocre as the highest paid C in the league - tons of stupid penalties and seemed like he was only physical after the whistle. Caleb Benenoch was an absolute turnstile at RG and was easily one of the worst linemen in the NFL. Alex Cappa was drafted in the 3rd round to provide competition at RG and had solid film but the fact that he couldn't unseat a trash can like Benenoch speaks volumes. Meanwhile the front office let JR Sweezy walk and he turned in a Pro Bowl season. Demar Dotson was his usual self - solid pass protector but always banged up.

Bucs had one of the most prolific passing games in the NFL but that didn't help the run game. Run schemes were very bland/predictable and the OL got no push on zone schemes. Peyton Barber busted his *** to average 3.7 YPC and Ronald Jones (popular recruiting target on this board) ran into brick walls to the tune of 1.9 YPC.

Bottom line is Barry has a very unimpressive track record. The blame for these issues mostly falls on George Warhop, Dirk Koetter and individual players but it's hard to be excited about this hire at this point.

Nfl experience
Coached with Dan Enos at central Michigan

Follow the crumbs with Enos. Of course he will reach out to staff who he feels comfortable with.

He owns the O and needs to execute Manolo's vision and mission taskings.

I know their OL sucks lol
You ain't lying. As a Bucs fan, I can tell you our OL was God-awful this year. And I can tell you our depth chart and thought I could name our whole staff, but I honestly don't even recognize this guy's name.

Advertisement
Back