Tampa Bay Bucs assistant OC coach Butch Barry is expected to become the new O-line coach

Advertisement
Don't know anything about him. I'm sure CiS will tell me why I should be outraged though.
Exactly. I know very little . I know Tampa Bay's lines have been decent usually . Never bad never really good BUT he isn't the OL coach he is the OL assistant so you never know if he is good or not truly.

Interesting hire. If nothing else, that NFL experience is a plus and he’s definitely a really high energy guy and can get the linemen motivated to improve every day.
my season tickets are directly behind the OL line bench. Searles was a high energy guy also, i have great video of him yelling at players inches away from their face. but that didn't get them to play better.

high energy is not the most important criterion to being a good OL coach.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
OL coaches are notoriously difficult to project re: success.

See Harry Hiestand at Notre Dame. Tennessee fans were THRILLED that he was no longer the OL coach there; when the Domers hired him away, they were celebrating the same way we did when Searles left.

Now he's 1.) coaching in the NFL, 2.) was considered the best OL coach in college football before he made the jump, and 3.) developed what are likely the three best young OL in the pro game right now (Nelson, McGlinchey and Zach Martin).

I don't think anyone can say either way whether or not this is a good hire. This will be much more about the results we see in the fall.

Advertisement
Eh, does anybody actually know the names of any offensive line coaches besides guys who have coached here?
Right....does anybody know the OL coach for Clemson? Or how about the L.A. rams?....his to be an upgrade

Advertisement
Back