Talent

I don't think you can be super critical after one season. I mean a lot factored into everything. Mostly the things I mentioned. For God sake if not for lashley and tvd last year how many games do they win and it wasn't like they were destroying teams. The hurricanes are getting top end talent and hopefully they develop all the players to be contributors.

Destroyed Duke and FSU the previous season…

Advertisement
Come again the 1st pick against MTSU was on GERDis?

Come on now baby!

Meanwhile TVD started most games slow… been said he needed a bullpen to warm up in…

Glad we double and tripled down on him. Let’s hope he did the same with his off-season and game prep…

“Hard work beats talent when talent don’t work hard”

“You wish you had 22 Cooper Kupp and n the football field”

There is a book called “Talent is overrated” by Geoff Colvin
Several sites have the pdf for free.
IMO it should be required reading for every single player on the team from the walk on to the team leaders.

“If people knew how hard I had to work to reach my mastery, it wouldn’t seem so wonderful at all”
Michelangelo

Beating a dead horse, but once again the NFL draft shows the lack of talent we have.

Illinois (x2)
Texas tech
Northwestern
Iowa State
Mississippi State
Pittsburg
TCU (x2)
Boston college
Maryland
Utah
Kansas State (x2)
Kentucky
Syracuse
Oregon State
Georgia Tech
North Dakota State
Michigan St
UCLA
SMU

All before Tyrique Stevenson in the 2nd round. And he transferred in here.

By the begging of the 5th round, many of the schools above had multiple players drafted. We have no more than 1…

The roster prior to Mario was at a group of 5 level maybe even worse.
When your team is dog 💩 you won’t get a lot of draftees, let’s be honest. If we won 10-13 games last year these dumb *** scouts would find a way to say our guys, even bums have good pro potential. That’s also why some bad teams get a few drafted players because they’re freaks and someone sees their pro potential, but most of those don’t pan out either because they lack intangibles or intelligence. But we absolutely have talent, it just wasn’t used right and the culture of the program was cheeks last 20 years. It takes much more than talent to be a good team (ask TCU). The players must buy into the culture the coaches are trying to build and hold each other accountable to make sure they do not lose. Everyone is out here looking out for #1

Year after year of the same thing. We recruit somewhere between 8 and 15 and then the draft rolls around and we have nothing to show for it. It’s been this incredible combination of bad evals, not getting the kids smart schools actually want, not developing, and not coaching well. It genuinely has seemed for almost 2 decades that if you took a dart and threw at random lists of So Fla kids and took them, we’d do better. Our proximity hasn’t made us any better at scouting locally. Nationally, who knows.

Keep hoping for change. This recruiting class is a start but I lost a lot of faith this year in Mario’s ability to build an actual football identity instead of just buzzwords and having much better players.

Advertisement
Not arguing with you but didn't Shannon recruit 7 or 8 kids from Northwestern his first year (2007 #1 class) and not a single kid got drafted. Actually another kid on that same northwestern team we didnt croot got drafted lol...
Sean Spence got drafted by the Steelers in the third round.... But overall that class flamed out really hard...

Last season was a culmination of...

1. Crap talent
2. New schemes
3. An awful culture

The roster that Mario took over was filled with cancerous kids who had poor work ethic and bad habits that were taught/enabled by Manny and his staff.
It wasn't Mario's fault that we had CB's who didn't even know how to play press coverage...or LB's that run 4.8 forties...or DL that didn't use their hands and just ran upfield.

YOU CAN'T ERASE ALL OF OUR ISSUES IN ONE OFF-SEASON.
Our problems were too vast.

It doesn't work like that. Norvell went through the same thing at FSU.
Saban won 6 games during his first season at Bama.

The type of turn-around WE needed, couldn't be done in one off-season.

You don't judge a staff on their first season. Not on any level of football. Because as fans, we don't know what kind of dumpster fire they took over.

Advertisement
our best evaluator(will go unnamed-no derail) also had phenomenal assistants. Think about our RB’s and WR’s back then. CJ & Sol were masters. Demanding, no exuse, results guys. Great technically and psychologically. Great staffs Coach everyone hard. That’s where culture is born. Hopefully, this staff does just that. My $0.02.

Go Canes!

Come again the 1st pick against MTSU was on GERDis?

Come on now baby!
Go back and watch it. Double slot with 1 yard splits between slot and outside WRs. Routes were same for both WRs, 5 yard out routes run 1 yard apart. Read was pre-snap. Defender guarding Mallory (inside slot) was line up well inside of him and Mallory had the outside leverage. It was quick snap one hitch throw and the LB on Mallory had no shot at defending. It went wrong because the 1 yard split and easy to ready 5 yard out route by the outside WR left the outside CB in perfect position to step in front of Mallory. If the outside WR Route was a fly or a curl it would not have been picked. If the splits were normal for a double slot, it would not have been picked. I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A ROUTE CONCEPT RUN FROM THAT FORMATION. Sure you can lay some blame on TVD for not foreseeing that it was possible for the CB to jump the route. However, a 7 year old would not call such a play.

Advertisement
Not arguing with you but didn't Shannon recruit 7 or 8 kids from Northwestern his first year (2007 #1 class) and not a single kid got drafted. Actually another kid on that same northwestern team we didnt croot got drafted lol...
Good point, but not entirely accurate. I recall that Sean Spence was a third round pick. There may have been someone else too.

Lavonte David is the player from that year at Northwestern who might make the NFL HOF.

Its always been talent our evals were dog water. On top of that when they were good evals bama came in or whomever and swiped.

Ain’t that many missed evals in the world.

Recruiting rankings are accurate for most teams.

The ones that aren’t accurate have incompetent stubborn coaches and weak, selfish country club cultures.

The culture you walk a player into matters. Many of our guys who transferred in were shown the right way to approach the game from jump. If they started out here, they probably would have been undrafted busts as well.

I don’t think the evaluation misses are as much about “talent“ as they are about system fit, work ethic, and chemistry.

We lost to Duke with EIGHT TURNOVERS. The absolute worst talented teams in the country don’t do that. But we did with classes constantly ranked in the top 10-20.

We have recruited like a 9-10 win team for a long time, but we have played like a 6-7 win team during that period. Mario is bringing in guys that can take us to the 12 plus win level, but we still have to fix the other issues.

I think the coordinator hires were a step in the right direction. It’s easy to see how and why he misfired on the first go round. We don’t need big names. We need the RIGHT guys, both players and coaches.

Last season was a culmination of...

1. Crap talent
2. New schemes
3. An awful culture

The roster that Mario took over was filled with cancerous kids who had poor work ethic and bad habits that were taught/enabled by Manny and his staff.
It wasn't Mario's fault that we had CB's who didn't even know how to play press coverage...or LB's that run 4.8 forties...or DL that didn't use their hands and just ran upfield.

YOU CAN'T ERASE ALL OF OUR ISSUES IN ONE OFF-SEASON.
Our problems were too vast.

It doesn't work like that. Norvell went through the same thing at FSU.
Saban won 6 games during his first season at Bama.

The type of turn-around WE needed, couldn't be done in one off-season.

You don't judge a staff on their first season. Not on any level of football. Because as fans, we don't know what kind of dumpster fire they took over.
I was dragged for saying this after it was obvious very early in the season. As everyone was throwing the blame on Gattis - and justifiably to a point - I was pointing out the talent was doing just as poor of a job. There were too many players with their heads up their ***, too many bad throws, dropped balls, obvious missed assignments that even a layman can say...its easy to dump it all off on a coach or coordinator, but that just enables the talent to continue to underperform. You coach, I've coached...its obvious as day when the players have their heads up their *** and aren't performing.

This program needed an *****.

Its funny, people on this site are dragging Deion Sanders for his overwhelming attrition...but we should have done something similar last year. You don't want the malcontents from a 1 win team ******* up the foundation, just like you don't want the malcontents from a program that was seemingly happy winning 7 games last year as long as you had a decent fun little offense at a program that has won 5 national titles and set standards for what you should be in CFB. Sometimes, everyone needs to go, we're starting fresh.

Advertisement
Year after year of the same thing. We recruit somewhere between 8 and 15 and then the draft rolls around and we have nothing to show for it. It’s been this incredible combination of bad evals, not getting the kids smart schools actually want, not developing, and not coaching well. It genuinely has seemed for almost 2 decades that if you took a dart and threw at random lists of So Fla kids and took them, we’d do better. Our proximity hasn’t made us any better at scouting locally. Nationally, who knows.

Keep hoping for change. This recruiting class is a start but I lost a lot of faith this year in Mario’s ability to build an actual football identity instead of just buzzwords and having much better players.
Dare I say that maybe some of the South Florida talent is over hyped just because these kids play in SF? How many local 3/4 star WR’s have we recruited in the last 5 years have gone on to do absolutely nothing here before transferring out?

0 star recruit Colbie Young from Binghamton, NY has emerged as the top WR on this team. Coincidentally I played HS ball in the Binghamton area 20 something years ago and I’ll be the first guy to tell you how uncompetitive it is. Extremely rare for someone from Section 4 to take the field with a P5 program. Most teams up there hardly throw the ball and run a variation of the triple option. Binghamton HS has won 8 measly games in the last 4 seasons. Young came from a bad team in a bad area and is now showing up all these 4 star WR’s from SF. Not saying he’s the majority of HS recruits but is an example of how someone can go completely under the radar. Rivals/247 will never be able to account for someone like Young.

Its always been talent our evals were dog water. On top of that when they were good evals bama came in or whomever and swiped.
We had a roster full of 5'10" linebackers, interior defensive lineman that can't stay at three bills, behind the starters, a bunch of underweight tiny corners, offensive lineman that averaged seemingly 6'3" 295lbs, extremely limited running backs, wide receivers that would rather play video games and get stoned than go out and catch footballs from their QBs, which, if you can't find him was doing something other than being a QB for a Power 5 program.

The evals were such a disaster, and our overall roster composition so out of touch with modern football it was wild. Just guys that shouldnt be here or at this level. We might have a few dawgs, but very few were pushed to be real deal animals on the football field, but they are surrounded by a bunch of G5 players that really wouldn't play much at a G5 program. Wild.

Ain’t that many missed evals in the world.

Recruiting rankings are accurate for most teams.

The ones that aren’t accurate have incompetent stubborn coaches and weak, selfish country club cultures.

The culture you walk a player into matters. Many of our guys who transferred in were shown the right way to approach the game from jump. If they started out here, they probably would have been undrafted busts as well.

I don’t think the evaluation misses are as much about “talent“ as they are about system fit, work ethic, and chemistry.

We lost to Duke with EIGHT TURNOVERS. The absolute worst talented teams in the country don’t do that. But we did with classes constantly ranked in the top 10-20.

We have recruited like a 9-10 win team for a long time, but we have played like a 6-7 win team during that period. Mario is bringing in guys that can take us to the 12 plus win level, but we still have to fix the other issues.

I think the coordinator hires were a step in the right direction. It’s easy to see how and why he misfired on the first go round. We don’t need big names. We need the RIGHT guys, both players and coaches.
Players change culture, fancy word for bring in talent. We would all assume that Mario is good for culture? Year one he failed cause the players aren't good in a lot of spots. I mean it's that simple imo.

Go back and watch it. Double slot with 1 yard splits between slot and outside WRs. Routes were same for both WRs, 5 yard out routes run 1 yard apart. Read was pre-snap. Defender guarding Mallory (inside slot) was line up well inside of him and Mallory had the outside leverage. It was quick snap one hitch throw and the LB on Mallory had no shot at defending. It went wrong because the 1 yard split and easy to ready 5 yard out route by the outside WR left the outside CB in perfect position to step in front of Mallory. If the outside WR Route was a fly or a curl it would not have been picked. If the splits were normal for a double slot, it would not have been picked. I HAVE NEVER SEEN SUCH A ROUTE CONCEPT RUN FROM THAT FORMATION. Sure you can lay some blame on TVD for not foreseeing that it was possible for the CB to jump the route. However, a 7 year old would not call such a play.
Or if the play had been executed properly it would not have been picked either.

Advertisement
Back