Talent

Advertisement
what made Golden and Shannon such good evaluators is that they didn’t get caught up in the hype of schools abd camps they focused on elite traits.. speed, agility, power and aggression.. that’s why they were able to find 3 stars that became nfl vets and pro bowlers that’s what good programs like Illinois, Iowa, and other schools do abd allow coaches to teach fundamentals! We need to go back to that and i think we are…
Not arguing with you but didn't Shannon recruit 7 or 8 kids from Northwestern his first year (2007 #1 class) and not a single kid got drafted. Actually another kid on that same northwestern team we didnt croot got drafted lol...

So Miami has had no talent, citing the draft.

How has Oregon stacked up?

2023 6 (1,3,5,6, 7(2))
2022 1 (1)
2021 5 (1, 2, 5, 6(2))
2020 4 (1, 4, 5, 6)
2019 4 (4, 5, 7(2))

Advertisement
Gonzalez was at Colorado during Mario's tenure so I can't give him that one. DJ left Miami and made it as a 3rd Rounder. Never forget his track highlights versus fourth graders.

My fault; I thought u were talking about Oregon, in general. Lol

Last year was a product of injuries, gattis being manure at OC and a lot of weak *** players and weak *** coaching. I think Mario will eventually have us stockpiled with talent in all three phases of the game and if he can get and keep good coaches and he can be decent at game day management they will be good if not great ago but it might take a little time
Are you saying all of those reasons arent directly tied to Mario? Or he was victim or something? Just looking for clarity

Advertisement
Not arguing with you but didn't Shannon recruit 7 or 8 kids from Northwestern his first year (2007 #1 class) and not a single kid got drafted. Actually another kid on that same northwestern team we didnt croot got drafted lol...
You are right and a lot got hurt and transferred out but if you look at that class check out the 3 star recruits they got and the gems he found also golden but a lot flammed out can’t argue you with you there lol

what made Golden and Shannon such good evaluators is that they didn’t get caught up in the hype of schools abd camps they focused on elite traits.. speed, agility, power and aggression.. that’s why they were able to find 3 stars that became nfl vets and pro bowlers that’s what good programs like Illinois, Iowa, and other schools do abd allow coaches to teach fundamentals! We need to go back to that and i think we are…
Shannon was a horrible recruiter from a roster construction standpoint. He took 9 or 10 linebackers in one cycle.

Al Golden had horrific attrition from his first class in a pre NIL era.

Both coaches regular got commitments from kids who ended up never qualifying.

With the majority of Manny’s guys gone and Mario’s ability to use the portal and NIL to completely overhaul the roster, what’s going to be his inevitable excuse for going 6-6 in 2023? Will be it be his own talent? How come Lincoln Riley can go into USC and immediately make them a CFP contender and Mario can’t win 8 games in year 2?

I agree with others, it’s a combination of talent and bad coaching. Mario gotta let his OC do his thing and figure out a way to keep the team healthy. If he does this and keeps recruiting at a high level, I think he can absolutely be successful here.
I think we agree more than not here. With that said...

- Mario dgafuggalugga about 2023 season, and probably not 2024 either...he's on the clock starting 2025...2022-2024 is one big shakedown and rebuild
-- I suggest you emotionally prepare yourself
- USC's OL was probably light years ahead of Miami's G5 talent...nuff said for O because everything happens because of OL...especially in Mario's world

Like you, I want to see our Canes win and win big. Mario has a long-term plan and the leash length until Y4 to put it into place.

I'm not saying his philosophy guarantees successs, but I do believe he will reach it here. He truly has the possibility of rolling a big fat natty while he's at Coral Gables.

Go Canes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I think we agree more than not here. With that said...

- Mario dgafuggalugga about 2023 season, and probably not 2024 either...he's on the clock starting 2025...2022-2024 is one big shakedown and rebuild
-- I suggest you emotionally prepare yourself
- USC's OL was probably light years ahead of Miami's G5 talent...nuff said for O because everything happens because of OL...especially in Mario's world

Like you, I want to see our Canes win and win big. Mario has a long-term plan and the leash length until Y4 to put it into place.

I'm not saying his philosophy guarantees successs, but I do believe he will reach it here. He truly has the possibility of rolling a big natty while he's at Coral Gables.

Go Canes.

I’m with you man! I was at the FSU game yelling “build the culture! Brick by brick!, this Is ******* great!”

It was smart to have all the key recruiting talent there to show off the breaking it down to build it up…

Advertisement
Dj Johnson is prime example why people shouldn’t write kids off so early on. He was a highly regarded recruit who people on here tried to say wasn’t good or a bust after a freshman season, he transfers and develops to be a day 2 pick

DJ Johnson was also a guy that had 4 position changes. Old school DE, DT, EDGE guy this past year and was a TE too.

It really took him a long time (he'll be 25 during the NFL season), too. You can wait around for a few of these types of guys...but you can't wait on a bunch of them. Plus, he was on the first train out of town.

Is he - of recent vintage - the highest drafted former Miami Hurricane transfer after Arthur Brown? He's got to be in small company of former Miami transfers to get picked in the draft in this post-last-championship era of Miami football.

DJ Johnson was also a guy that had 4 position changes. Old school DE, DT, EDGE guy this past year and was a TE too.

It really took him a long time (he'll be 25 during the NFL season), too. You can wait around for a few of these types of guys...but you can't wait on a bunch of them. Plus, he was on the first train out of town.

Is he - of recent vintage - the highest drafted former Miami Hurricane transfer after Arthur Brown? He's got to be in small company of former Miami transfers to get picked in the draft in this post-last-championship era of Miami football.
Seems like some go on and have good careers but not get drafted.
Gionni Paul. Scott patchan, tyre Brady comes to mind. Obviously nesta and dj Johnson got drafted this draft too

We wont know for a few years, but Satan went 6-6 in his first season.
Jurassic Park Ian Malcom GIF

Shannon and Golden had an amazing eye for getting the most out of an opponent's 3 star talent.

Advertisement
Back