Talent Gap

Y'all worrying about the 4*s. Maaaan listen, put 11, Yes, ELEVEN freaking 5*s on this team and we're guaranteed a spot in the championship game.
After watching this staff lose games to teams with much less talent, what makes you think we can compete with teams who are loaded with blue chips?

You give us the same roster as Clemson, they STILL beat us.

Advertisement
Yep. It's true that we only have 3-4 players that would start for Clemson, plus the kickers. But how many of Clemson's players would start for Alabama? Lawrence, Etienne and who?

Clemson's most talented players have been QBs and DLs, so that helps them. But the rest of the roster is built on IQ and toughness.
Other than DL, who else are they producing on a regular level?

Do they even have any CB's, Safeties, RB's, TE's or LB's in the NFL right now? Any other WR's besides Watkins?

Maybe they do, but I don't think anybody would consider them an "NFL factory" like Alabama.

Other than DL, who else are they producing on a regular level?

Do they even have any CB's, Safeties, RB's, TE's or LB's in the NFL right now? Any other WR's besides Watkins?

Maybe they do, but I don't think anybody would consider them an "NFL factory" like Alabama.
Pretty decent at WR in the nfl with guys like Deandre Hopkins, Hunter Renfrew, Tee Higgins, Mike Wilson and Adam Humphries

If I remember correctly I saw a graphic during the game that Clemson has 32 players that Miami recruited and Miami has 11 that Clemson recruited. I think that's a pretty good indicator of the talent gap between the two teams. Miami had to settle.. or find a replacement for those 32 guys we couldn't get. Clemson got 74% of the players we went head to head for, that's pretty significant.

Advertisement
Is Liken responsible for recruiting the wide recievers we have? Even the best cook can not make chicken salad out of chicken sh it
That's something people forget. This offensive staff is working with Richt/Enos recruits.

Seems like some people still struggle around here with the necessary/sufficient distinction.

Better roster talent is necessary for us to compete with top teams. It isn’t sufficient, however. We need better coaching also.

It’s just not one or the other. They’re not alternatoves.

Yep. It's true that we only have 3-4 players that would start for Clemson, plus the kickers. But how many of Clemson's players would start for Alabama? Lawrence, Etienne and who?

Pb]Clemson's most talented players have been QBs and DLs, so that helps them. But the rest of the roster is built on IQ and toughness.[/b]
You are now making the case for evaluations!

Get top prospects at QB and DL, and find the right kind of kids (IQ and toughness!) elsewhere to complement your scheme.

After watching this staff lose games to teams with much less talent, what makes you think we can compete with teams who are loaded with blue chips?

Completely agree. Upon watching sober, the coaching mismatch was more glaring than the talent. I’m just ready to part ways with Manny and move on honestly. His absurd scheme and lack of discipline will catch up to us a few more times this year and everyone will be back on board.

Advertisement

Very good point. I honestly just got excited at the idea of having THAT much type of talent. I'm not even a "star *****" but I do think 11 compared to 1 can make a huge difference. But I agree about the coaching because I was saying it after we lost last week. The biggest difference was the coaching.

Btw.... I was watching Canesvilles' take on the Clemson game and they mentioned how teams like Clemson literally have about 100 total coaches on the staff. Most of them being assistants and have roles like the role Reed has for us. Whereas, we're only allowed a handful of staff members because we're a private school. They wasn't making any excuses but ****, how do we even supposed to compete with that?

Talent gap illustrated

Clemson's 5-star CB goes up and does a perfect job of timing his jump and knocking the ball away.

Meanwhile, Miami's 4-star 7on7 hero times his jump wrong (3-inch vertical?), doesn't fight for the ball, is instead trying to cradle the ball, and does nothing except end up on the ground looking for a flag.

I don't get the ACC network, and I think I'll watch Clemson vs GT at noon on Saturday because I appreciate great football having grown up watching the 80's Hurricanes.

5e6f4875-d833-4494-b5d5-0ebd40545347-CUVSUM1009_BOATWRIGHT_2671.JPG

Advertisement
Back