Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I'm pretty confused by the rules of when this stuff can happen. By when I do we need to have a QB signed so they can participate in spring practices?
Deadline to enter the portal is today (although names may keep popping up for a couple more days because there is sometimes a delay between a player asking his school to enter and showing up). A portal commitment can be accepted anytime as long as the player is in the portal. Deadline to enroll for classes at UM is January 24. So basically it would have to be someone who is in the portal by today (which may not be public for a couple days) and they would need to enroll by January 24.

Advertisement
I am pretty much agreeing with you, but just wanted to point out a couple of things.

1. Jacurri was a Lashlee/Manny recruit who Mario retained. He was a 4-star recruit. Perhaps we can say that he hasn't been developed enough in 2 years, but from the practice reports I've heard, Jacurri is inconsistent (great one day, terrible the next). Also, we had Jaden Rashada committed to Miami, and if not for the Florida offer, he might now be our starter (and he looked good as a true freshman before the injury). I am angry about the QB recruiting in THIS recruiting cycle, however.

2. This stuff (scheme/playcalling) should be on the OC. However, I cannot even begin to describe how bad Mario's hire of Gattis was, including multiple pre-hire warnings that Gattis was not the right guy. So, yes, I'll grant this one, indirectly.

But the two points are related and interdependent. Perhaps Jacurri is better and Rashada sticks if Gattis wasn't sinking the ship. Perhaps we attract a better class of QB for this cycle if Gattis never happened, as many of the QB recruiting dances last for a couple of years.

That's it. Like you said, just a continuation of a difficult discussion.
It seems to me there's short-term and long-term action required to fix the QB talent acquisition problem. Short-term, Mario needs a proven QB1 and a high-ceiling backup with 2-3 years of eligibility from the portal, now. Unfortunately, we've got to hold our nose and pay the we-suck tax. Longer term, I think you need a dedicated QB coach, and should take a swing each year with an elite national prospect and a local high-potential development prospect (like Cedrick Bailey or whomever). When is the last time we have seen a QB develop (actually get better each year) at UM? Until that happens, we'll always be paying big dollars for duct tape and chewing gum in the transfer portal.

if a player intends to transfer or wants to see his options, and he is an undergraduate player, his name must be in the portal by the end of January 2nd. This doesn’t mean he has to officially transfer by the end of the 2nd, he just has to be in the portal. And then, as long as it’s not a “dead period” he can speak with teams, and teams can speak with him. But the team’s spring class enrollment deadline comes into factor. The player must be enrolled at his new school, by the deadline for enrollment.

Also, the players who enter the portal, unless they inform publications (like 247 or ON3), their names don’t become publicly known until 48 hours of entering the portal.

if a player intends to transfer or wants to see his options, and he is an undergraduate player, his name must be in the portal by the end of January 2nd. This doesn’t mean he has to officially transfer by the end of the 2nd, he just has to be in the portal. And then, as long as it’s not a “dead period” he can speak with teams, and teams can speak with him. But the team’s spring class enrollment deadline comes into factor. The player must be enrolled at his new school, by the dead for enrollment.

Also, the players who enter the portal, unless they inform publications (like 247 or ON3), their names don’t become publicly known until 48 hours of entering the portal.
Thank you.

Deadline to enter the portal is today (although names may keep popping up for a couple more days because there is sometimes a delay between a player asking his school to enter and showing up). A portal commitment can be accepted anytime as long as the player is in the portal. Deadline to enroll for classes at UM is January 24. So basically it would have to be someone who is in the portal by today (which may not be public for a couple days) and they would need to enroll by January 24.
Unless they're a grad transfer and they can enter at any time.

Advertisement
Does anyone know anything regarding who miami is still trying to pursue at QB? I hope it's Howard but I guess it's all a waiting game. I guess I feel like if Howard hasn't announced anything yet then we still maybe have a chance. But the field of acceptable QB's that can help miami win has really dwindled in the last couple days.

Unless they're a grad transfer and they can enter at any time.
But the enrollment deadline for the school comes into factor even for the graduate transfer. The graduate transfer must be enrolled by the deadline for graduate transfers at the new school. I THINK (not 100% sure) Miami's deadline for graduate transfers is April 1st.

Does anyone know anything regarding who miami is still trying to pursue at QB? I hope it's Howard but I guess it's all a waiting game.
Screenshot_20230929_091612_Samsung Internet.jpg

Advertisement
This is why you don't let one guy string you along for this amount of time in a market that was quicky closing.

this is why you don't listen to the self proclaimed "insider experts" who were stating "big night coming" and posting so much BS the last 4 weeks...

Advertisement
Does anyone know anything regarding who miami is still trying to pursue at QB? I hope it's Howard but I guess it's all a waiting game. I guess I feel like if Howard hasn't announced anything yet then we still maybe have a chance. But the field of acceptable QB's that can help miami win has really dwindled in the last couple days.
I’m gonna save you and everyone some trouble here even though it won’t matter

13k posts later the clear answer is “no”

Thank you!
And is there another portal window after spring correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back