Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
I’ll shout it from the highest rooftop there is -Malik Murphy is awful. Guy got passed up by Arch Manning
Arch Manning? You mean literally the #1 player in the 2023 class. Murphy sucks because he got passed up by that guy?

How do you know we don’t have a Plan B
We Definitely have a plan b. Our QB situation the day after is an abortion

Drumming Black And White GIF by Warner Archive

Yeah, let’s revisit this a year from now before counting it as a win.

It looks like he’s a great prospect and an even better eval by the staff but let’s not pretend he was recruited by Alabama and Georgia when he committed.
You’re changing the argument midstream

no idea if he sticks. Shall see

We Definitely have a plan b. Our QB situation the day after is an abortion

Drumming Black And White GIF by Warner Archive

Mario has the golden touch to ***** up anything offense related, besides the OL

That was his deal with the devil

Advertisement
This post isn’t directed at you, but intended to be a continuation of some of your points

Mario has proven that he can’t be trusted to manage the two most important variables in overseeing a football team:

1. QB position
2. Offensive scheme and playcalling

I want Miami to be great again, but barring some 180 turn from Mario in how he approaches those two components and/or bringing in someone with a proven track record to elevate those pieces we will be stuck winning 7-9 games a year

I am pretty much agreeing with you, but just wanted to point out a couple of things.

1. Jacurri was a Lashlee/Manny recruit who Mario retained. He was a 4-star recruit. Perhaps we can say that he hasn't been developed enough in 2 years, but from the practice reports I've heard, Jacurri is inconsistent (great one day, terrible the next). Also, we had Jaden Rashada committed to Miami, and if not for the Florida offer, he might now be our starter (and he looked good as a true freshman before the injury). I am angry about the QB recruiting in THIS recruiting cycle, however.

2. This stuff (scheme/playcalling) should be on the OC. However, I cannot even begin to describe how bad Mario's hire of Gattis was, including multiple pre-hire warnings that Gattis was not the right guy. So, yes, I'll grant this one, indirectly.

But the two points are related and interdependent. Perhaps Jacurri is better and Rashada sticks if Gattis wasn't sinking the ship. Perhaps we attract a better class of QB for this cycle if Gattis never happened, as many of the QB recruiting dances last for a couple of years.

That's it. Like you said, just a continuation of a difficult discussion.

Advertisement
If Miami goes and gets a QB they have to get a new offensive coordinator. Dawson serves as both. The reason why Miami doesn't have a special teams coach is because we have two defensive line coaches. That means in order to get a QB coach, Miami would have to either replace Dawson, or replace one of their DL coaches. Mario isn't going to do that. So, just stop with "get a QB coach" nonsense. It's not going to happen.
it actually could happen by hiring one of the legit dudes as an "analyst". You think those 100 analyst bama and uga have are twiddling their thumbs.
Stop hiring all recruiters or hs coaches as analyst and you'll be alright.

it actually could happen by hiring one of the legit dudes as an "analyst". You think those 100 analyst bama and uga have are twiddling their thumbs.
Stop hiring all recruiters or hs coaches as analyst and you'll be alright.
I agree. but that's not what he's talking about.

Advertisement
You’re changing the argument midstream

no idea if he sticks. Shall see
No, my point was about Mario’s inability to land elite QBs (portal or HS) and, while Nickel is a potentially elite recruit, it wasn’t an ELITE prospect when he committed to Miami (yet) and also until is signed and enrolled we cannot count it as a WIN per se.

I'm sure negative recruiting was done but it also made us go on the defense to ensure that Ward didn't up there, which likely cost us Howard in the process.
All these things may be true. But folks are slinging **** like they have actual first-hand knowledge when for the most part they haven’t a clue.

This is what happens when you neglect HS qb recruiting and try to rely solely on the portal. Limited supply, lots of demand, and also NFL factor.
Do you need to be reminded that USC, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Notre Dame, LSU, etc all ditched their HS recruited QBs for portal QBs?

Advertisement
No, my point was about Mario’s inability to land elite QBs (portal or HS) and, while Nickel is a potentially elite recruit, it wasn’t an ELITE prospect when he committed to Miami (yet) and also until is signed and enrolled we cannot count it as a WIN per se.
GIF by Giphy QA

Many wanting to blame Mario on this one, but this is a 2 person process. You make your best pitch, lay out all the opportunities, benefits and positives, but at the end of the day the unknown is how the other party will respond. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.
Anyone who's ever participated in negations at the work place should understand this basic concept.

I think the legitimate criticism would be not moving on to the next best option sooner.
Given what the QB room looks like you can't afford to be left with nothing. If you truly had a 1a and 1b once it started dragging on with Ward he needed to move to 1b.
Not landing him is not on Mario's since he chose the NFL over college football.

This is what happens when you neglect HS qb recruiting and try to rely solely on the portal. Limited supply, lots of demand, and also NFL factor.
I mentioned something exactly like that months ago when this became "the way of the future". Shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back