Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Color me concerned for the first time. While I tend to agree that we may have "dodged a bullet", to be in this spot, this late, with no clear plan B, is a MAJOR fail. IMO, this is part of a failed, multi-year approach to QB talent acquisition, adding to an established narrative that Mario is incapable of developing QBs and building a modern offense.

On Joe Rose, Mario specifically said "we won't let a recruit hold us hostage", yet that's exactly what occurred. What happened to the "QB war room"? What happened to 4-5 guys "above the line", and we'd be happy with any of them? This is a debacle that lands squarely on Mario's doorstep, not unlike hiring Gattis for the flash, or not taking a knee vs GT, or recurring abysmal clock management, or playing your undersized nephew in a bro-ball showdown vs Rutgers. These are not the kind of mistakes made by big time coaches. These are not the mistakes of someone paid $8M/yr.

Let's hope he turns this mess around in a hurry. IMO, we need two QBs from the portal: a 2024 proven QB1, and a talented up-and-comer with 2-3 years of eligibility. Would be nice to get at least one.

Reason why I'm not ready to panic yet. Miami is clearly offering a crazy amount of money, where Ward had no choice but to listen.

Eventually, they're gonna convince some kid at another school to take that money and take the chance. Mario's reputation be damned. $1-$2 million is hard to pass up for a year
True but we're not in the space to take just "some kid". We need a legit starter and game changer.

Advertisement
Ha! I forgot about the “war room”.
Zo turned the QB war room into a room covered in mirrors where he stares at himself and repeats “I ain’t scared of you *****” while he wears army fatigues until Mario comes into the room with cafecito and a small angry elf (Mirabal) to talk with him about potential QB transfer prospects. Legend has it that a Wisconsin QB originally from Connecticut with previous ties to SFL is their top prospect.

Yes, from their games. So the teams that played today have until Saturday, except for the final two teams, who have even longer.

It's weird. Players on the "Final Two" teams will have until January 13th to ENTER the Portal, but only a few days to "enroll" in any new schools that they select.

I wonder if, when we get to a "Final 12", we will begin to see MORE opt-outs among the playoff teams.
Watching JJ McCarthy take that shot in the 1st Q, then get up slowly has me wondering the exact same thing. If a Sam Bradford injury occurred today, I think we'd see mass opt outs.

I just don't see how the portal and NIL can continue to coexist. The only thing the NCAA could've done was tighten December transfer eligibility by opening it in April/May, and/or keep the 1 year sit rule for freshman and sophomores. But even that wouldn't do anything about NFL opt outs. And its too late now anyway.

But yeah, there'll be teams among next year's 12 that are going to have to deal with opt outs. Its way out of hand.

So Ward was coming and if Smith picked Miami. But since smith Picked OsU ward said no to Miami. This is really the story?

Advertisement
This is OT so apologies in advance but it's not worthy of a separate thread, imo.

With CFB and the NFL seemingly having a completely one-sided relationship as CFB provides the pros a free minor league system, why not allow kids to enter the Draft and still maintain eligibility if they don't like where they go or IF they even go?

I know the whole signing with an agent thing but that seems like something that could be worked around with college kids now having "representation" in the era of NIL.

Am I missing something here? Just seems like a level of unearned deference being paid to the NFL by CFB. How could the NFL even retaliate? Saturday games earlier in the year? Who cares? Moar football!
College basketball players can return after opting for the draft, If they don’t like where they are projected to be drafted at no?

Advertisement
I’m watching both Michigan and Bama and neither has a QB that has heisman numbers

Get us someone who is accurate and limits turnovers… if he can scoot that would be a bonus

Huge miss compounded x1000 because we waited…. Mario cmon man

Pratt is still in play.

the sopranos hbo GIF

Advertisement
Zo turned the QB war room into a room covered in mirrors where he stares at himself and repeats “I ain’t scared of you *****” while he wears army fatigues until Mario comes into the room with cafecito and a small angry elf (Mirabal) to talk with him about potential QB transfer prospects. Legend has it that a Wisconsin QB originally from Connecticut with previous ties to SFL is their top prospect.

This probably sounded awesome in your head before typing this out huh? 😂

I’m watching both Michigan and Bama and neither has a QB that has heisman numbers

Get us someone who is accurate and limits turnovers… if he can scoot that would be a bonus

Huge miss compounded x1000 because we waited…. Mario cmon man
Milroe makes plays with his legs. Don’t we have a version of that guy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back