Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

So with Smith's national letter of intent in limbo, Miami didn’t sit idly. They pounced. Hurricanes wide receiver coach Kevin Beard reached out. So did Miami head coach Mario Cristobal and the program’s executive director Dennis Smith. On top of all of those pitches, Smith said the Hurricanes also reached out to his agent and re-up their offer in an effort to sign him.

But perhaps the most interesting phone call of the night came from a quarterback not yet associated with anybody: Washington State transfer Cameron Ward.

Ward announced for the NFL Draft on Jan. 1, but before then he had been involved in a month-long transfer portal recruitment that included Miami and Ohio State among others. Ward called Smith during the madness of that nine-hour period. They talked for 10 minutes. Smith remembers Ward telling him, ‘If you choose to go to Miami, I’m going to go there.”

If true then **** this kid and everyone associated with him. This isn't some high school senior waffling over a college choice. This is a grown-*** man and his family handlers trying to play both sides as long as possible and either 1) being intentionally obtuse and disingenuous or 2) being so indecisive as to paralyze half the college football world.

I wanted his ability but that point of diminishing returns I spoke of is way past. Good luck in the 6th round on the Jets or wherever else is stupid enough to draft you.

Advertisement
If true then **** this kid and everyone associated with him. This isn't some high school senior waffling over a college choice. This is a grown-*** man and his family handlers trying to play both sides as long as possible and either 1) being intentionally obtuse and disingenuous or 2) being so indecisive as to paralyze half the college football world.

I wanted his ability but that point of diminishing returns I spoke of is way past. Good luck in the 6th round on the Jets or wherever else is stupid enough to draft you.
Could not agree more.

No quarterback with any sense is going to come here and play for this Neanderthal, thinking that his draft stock will actually improve. If it was a choice between UM and the NFL, Cam did the right thing. No doubt he thought about the NIL package here, but didn’t want to face the inevitable “performance dropped in his final season” scouting reports after a year with Cristobal.

Then why didn’t he go to USC, Auburn or OSU?

Y’all are making more of this than it is. Kid wanted to go directly to the league and is willing to take the risk. There’s nothing deeper to it than that

Advertisement
I think Ward wanted to play in college this next year, but I think he was hoping to parlay Miami’s offer into a comparable offer elsewhere.
My read on things is I think NFL became strong option after nobody was even interested in engaging in a potential bidding war With Miami, knowing what we already had offered.

He backed himself into the corner and eventually chose to bet on himself over Miami.
Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

Then Jacurri needs to go because he’d be entering his 3rd year and still not ready? I liked Emory’s moxy against FSU. I agree it might be too much for Emory to come in and roll by 2nd year but we’ve had guys do it. It’s not impossible, and if we’re serious about developing him then what are we waiting for? It was Ward or Howard or bust. If that doesn’t happen, then plan c is to go with what you have.

If we roll with Jacurri, we need to "lease" every great QB guru we can get our hands on for the next 8 months to get Jacurri more consistent. He is UNREAL in practice some days, and bouncing passes on other days.

Advertisement
Actually, the problem was that he decided on Ward so early, to the exclusion of everyone else.
This is what ls funny with the guys(mostly the analytic nerd talking about inches per pump or whatever *** **** he’s into) talking about Caveman ball. Mario wanted the gunslinger. His choice was Ward.

Advertisement
Nope. Schools that played today have five extra days.

Yes, from their games. So the teams that played today have until Saturday, except for the final two teams, who have even longer.

It's weird. Players on the "Final Two" teams will have until January 13th to ENTER the Portal, but only a few days to "enroll" in any new schools that they select.

I wonder if, when we get to a "Final 12", we will begin to see MORE opt-outs among the playoff teams.

So it’s been the knock on Mario since Oregon? When will this guy learn from his mistakes and hubris. Leaders delegate. He has a very good staff and support staff. Why the f**k does he continue to step on his D**k in game day situations. Ultimately he makes the decisions. But, the imput from the bottom up is invaluable. Imput from experienced coaches valued and taken under advice. Stop trying to be “the show”, that’s your on field product, and right now you’ve failed them. Mainly bc you can’t get your ego out of the way. Take a lesson from Kirby, from Saban. They acquiesce to the coaches and the players. Let the process play out. Success is always a team effort. Yeah they bask in their success but their decisions are team driven on the field. Ego and tunnel vision have no place in the on field performance. We criticize players acting that way, why not the same for coaches, especially the HC, it’s trickle down. Mario need an intervention.

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back