Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
gaslight GIF by The Opposition w/ Jordan Klepper

Luke is like North Korea. He pops up with some ish perodically just to stir it up. Plus, he thinks he actually has influence over anyone that matters.

Advertisement
Can transfer twice now without sitting this year only I think or something like that

Wrong.

Currently applies to spring sport athletes (basketball), but could be overturned at any point for fall sport athletes (football).

Maybe the temporary injunction becomes permanent, but that's just hopium right now.

Advertisement
Wrong.

Currently applies to spring sport athletes (basketball), but could be overturned at any point for fall sport athletes (football).

Maybe the temporary injunction becomes permanent, but that's just hopium right now.

Incorrect. It applies to football athletes as well.

Advertisement
This is incorrect. There are some good options still in the Portal…and there will be more before next season starts. I think the more correct statement is there are currently relatively few quality one & done upperclassmen left that you can bring in for a yr (without potentially upsetting your QB room & leaving it without quality depth).

Further, people on here don’t value Emory enough because they are judging him prematurely based on:

1) Two starts where Dawson severely limited the playbook to protect his young QB. How in the world can you judge a QB that is basically allowed to execute on only about 5 plays (including a bunch of short throws such as screens that everyone knew were coming?);

2) Those two games were against FSU & Clemson (which were two of the toughest games of the yr). You don’t think it’s normal for a young QB to have a few first start jitters/not be entirely comfortable out there? TVD looked robotic, jittery & pretty bad in his first 3 starts under Lashlee before turning it on in games 4-10. It takes time to get comfortable; and

3) Conservative decisions by Emory in those first two starts to avoid damaging Turnovers. After TVD had thrown 3-4 TOs in quite a few games (which gave us virtually no chance to win those games), Emory undoubtedly tried to avoid putting the team in bad positions. See the throw he made from his own end zone at the start of the FSU game. He put a ton of air under that intentionally so it was either caught by our WR or no-one. Emory typically has great touch on his passes. Once he’s developed a reputation as a very good QB & he’s gained additional experience, he likely throws that ball a little differently. He was simply trying to avoid putting his team in a really bad position.

Some other notes:

1) Emory beat Clemson in his 1st start (something we hadn’t come close to doing in a long time). He had a signature win in his first game as a starter (something I’d argue TVD didn’t do in 3 yrs);

2) Emory had us driving to tie undefeated FSU on the road in a super hostile environment in his 2nd start (when they were at full strength). We probably would have won that game if the ACC officials didn’t take that obvious safety away from us. They know exactly when to make those bogus calls (critical moments like the end of the 1st half & in the 4th qtr). Had we gotten those 2 pts plus the ball back plus gotten the ball to start the 2nd half, we likely beat FSU as all the momentum was going our way. The Conference badly needed a team in Playoffs to remain relevant. That also would have generated an extra $30 mm of revenue for the Conf so they did everything they could to prop up FSU. I think it’s highly likely Miami wins that game if the officiating had been fair. That likely would have made Emory 2-0 against two of our toughest opponents of the yr in his first two starts (in spite of all the challenges he faced, including super conservative & predictable play calling designed to protect him); and

3) Emory is injured & that is cause for concern. We also don’t have quality depth in the QB room & that is a concern.

I’m not advocating that we stay with what we’ve got (and don’t add a QB or two via the Portal). We need an experienced starter & high quality depth at the QB position & it’s too risky to not add QBs via the Portal (especially as Emory sustained a tough injury). What I’m saying is let’s respect a young QB that has a heart of a lion that we haven’t even seen at full speed without “one arm tied behind his back.” The feedback on Emory from some of our former greats at the QB position (who have seen him practice) has been very positive. I think he will be very good if he returns at full strength.
out of here lol GIF

This will sound like copium it’s why I’ve hesitated to say it, but I thought when he first entered he would be signed sealed and delivered to OSU

All I can really say is hearing from some connected people there, they kicked the tires but were never really interested

That was really telling to me. Not suggesting we dodged a bullet or denying the kids talent, but us being one of his only aggressive options was really strange from the beginning
I agree and said that in another thread a few days ago. There have definitely been red flags around his recruitment (ie no heavy pursuit from OSU, USC, Washington/Oregon) and the fact that Mario prioritized/chose him was another one. I don't trust him to evaluate and choose QBs.

I think Dawson preferred Howard based on the fact that he visited him in Kansas and he came into town first.

Its hard to tell we just closed on the #3 recruiting class in here. So much “the world is ending” its hard to believe most of us our grown adults. Look i have several issues with mario and questions about his thought process but ya’ll come off as rooting against your own team when things dont go right. Its trendy in miami to **** on our own team. Smh

Buckle up and at least see who we go into spring with. Cuz ya’ll wanna talk about bad optics, its reading this board and seeing what dramatic fanatics we have. Full on melt downs are bad optics.

I’m guessing the staff had contingency plans and our next QB is not in the portal as of yet so I don’t think it will be about picking from the scraps.
I wouldn't consider him from the scrap yard. Plan C guy for sure, but he'd be a Day 1 starter here.

Advertisement
Wasn’t it reported here that we would have taken Howard’s commitment at any time? If he wanted to be here, he would have already committed, IMO.

Then that wouldnt be very good negotiating. He probably earned himself at least an extra million by holding out. UM is desperate, visiting USC and OSU was a smart move because it showed UM that he has options.

Advertisement
Obviously it’s Mario’s roster but still at least 2, 3 years of recruiting classes to sniff a top 10 roster.
We just went 7-6 with the roster mostly turned over playing a middle of the road schedule at best. Similar to the last twenty years, we’re in trouble if he needs a top 10 roster to win 8-9 games against this schedule.

I agree and said that in another thread a few days ago. There have definitely been red flags around his recruitment (ie no heavy pursuit from OSU, USC, Washington/Oregon) and the fact that Mario prioritized/chose him was another one. I don't trust him to evaluate and choose QBs.

I think Dawson preferred Howard based on the fact that he visited him in Kansas and he came into town first.
Yeah OSU especially stood out to me because that fanbase and support system there were furious about the QB situation this year, and when they want something there they usually get it

They had been hesitant to open up NIL too much and I don’t blame them, just was weird that they seemed to immediately pass on him

They dug deep when it came to holding on to Smith, so I figured it was inevitable here

Anyway, who knows. We look back and maybe it works out better this way. But at the moment it’s all a mess

Howard not committing seems odd unless he was waiting for us. Both OSU and USC did not go for Cam Ward and their main focus is Howard but if that was so Cam Ward committing to us or leaving for the NFL has no effect on Howard and his 2 destinations.

Unless he was never truly that sought out after by OSU and USC and was just waiting for us to up his bag. I guess now since weve heard USC moved on he can squeeze a little more from OSU on the NIL side but then again he also took a gamble as he had to bank on Cam Ward not choosing us. Its a weird situation ngl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back