Swing and miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree. Don’t know how realistic ward to fsu was but I’m sure Mario was nervous of losing ward to fsu.

Not sure 2024 is trashed just yet but taulia ain’t gonna get a waiver.

Mario really backed himself into a corner and made a bad call. He’s risking his tenure at Miami by going all in on a guy and with fear that the guy might go to fsu. Poor decision.

Have to think the semenholes were realistic at least to their view since they seemed to be waiting on Ward as well.

Advertisement
Tried but couldn’t make it through the porsts. Stunned by the level of cowardice displayed by CIS. Mopery is too kind. Baby diarrhea consistency. Man buns and ponytails everywhere. My hope for anyone that depends on you is that is u are all noles/gates playing a very long game.

Mario was in no-win once wards pitted us against noles. Had to wait at that point.
Ah yes a true big strong man comes to an anonymous message board and makes outlandish judgments about people based on their... hairstyle.

This is incorrect. There are some good options still in the Portal…and there will be more before next season starts. I think the more correct statement is there are currently relatively few quality one & done upperclassmen left that you can bring in for a yr (without potentially upsetting your QB room & leaving it without quality depth).

Further, people on here don’t value Emory enough because they are judging him prematurely based on:

1) Two starts where Dawson severely limited the playbook to protect his young QB. How in the world can you judge a QB that is basically allowed to execute on only about 5 plays (including a bunch of short throws such as screens that everyone knew were coming?);

2) Those two games were against FSU & Clemson (which were two of the toughest games of the yr). You don’t think it’s normal for a young QB to have a few first start jitters/not be entirely comfortable out there? TVD looked robotic, jittery & pretty bad in his first 3 starts under Lashlee before turning it on in games 4-10. It takes time to get comfortable; and

3) Conservative decisions by Emory in those first two starts to avoid damaging Turnovers. After TVD had thrown 3-4 TOs in quite a few games (which gave us virtually no chance to win those games), Emory undoubtedly tried to avoid putting the team in bad positions. See the throw he made from his own end zone at the start of the FSU game. He put a ton of air under that intentionally so it was either caught by our WR or no-one. Emory typically has great touch on his passes. Once he’s developed a reputation as a very good QB & he’s gained additional experience, he likely throws that ball a little differently. He was simply trying to avoid putting his team in a really bad position.

Some other notes:

1) Emory beat Clemson in his 1st start (something we hadn’t come close to doing in a long time). He had a signature win in his first game as a starter (something I’d argue TVD didn’t do in 3 yrs);

2) Emory had us driving to tie undefeated FSU on the road in a super hostile environment in his 2nd start (when they were at full strength). We probably would have won that game if the ACC officials didn’t take that obvious safety away from us. They know exactly when to make those bogus calls (critical moments like the end of the 1st half & in the 4th qtr). Had we gotten those 2 pts plus the ball back plus gotten the ball to start the 2nd half, we likely beat FSU as all the momentum was going our way. The Conference badly needed a team in Playoffs to remain relevant. That also would have generated an extra $30 mm of revenue for the Conf so they did everything they could to prop up FSU. I think it’s highly likely Miami wins that game if the officiating had been fair. That likely would have made Emory 2-0 against two of our toughest opponents of the yr in his first two starts (in spite of all the challenges he faced, including super conservative & predictable play calling designed to protect him); and

3) Emory is injured & that is cause for concern. We also don’t have quality depth in the QB room & that is a concern.

I’m not advocating that we stay with what we’ve got (and don’t add a QB or two via the Portal). We need an experienced starter & high quality depth at the QB position & it’s too risky to not add QBs via the Portal (especially as Emory sustained a tough injury). What I’m saying is let’s respect a young QB that has a heart of a lion that we haven’t even seen at full speed without “one arm tied behind his back.” The feedback on Emory from some of our former greats at the QB position (who have seen him practice) has been very positive. I think he will be very good if he returns at full strength.
jiFfM.jpg

@DMoney, a few weeks ago, you mentioned we had 4-5 QBs the staff considered above the line. Are any of the others still available, not counting Howard since he is 99.9% likely to not commit to us? Also, is Taulia a pipe dream since everyone thinks he won't get a waiver (if he even requested one to begin with) and is he's turning pro?

Advertisement
I’m not opposed to bringing Malachi in, but to roll with an unproven QB in Year 3…I mean that’s alarming. Anyone spinning that is out of their minds.

Lincoln doesn’t just let good QBs walk out the door…unless he thinks Moss is substantially better.

Up the bag to Howard, or go get Seth Henigan or Fifita.

It’s desperate times, there’s no way around it. Mario cannot afford three straight basura seasons or recruiting will suffer.

Has Fifita entered the portal? If so he should be Mario’s next call..

Malachi Nelson…. So USC who has Lincoln Riley and currently has no legit QB just lets Nelson walk out the door?

Not sure about "no legit" QB. Moss look really good in the bowl game for them.
Having said that Nelson is an absolute unknown at the college level.

Advertisement
This is incorrect. There are some good options still in the Portal…and there will be more before next season starts. I think the more correct statement is there are currently relatively few quality one & done upperclassmen left that you can bring in for a yr (without potentially upsetting your QB room & leaving it without quality depth).

Further, people on here don’t value Emory enough because they are judging him prematurely based on:

1) Two starts where Dawson severely limited the playbook to protect his young QB. How in the world can you judge a QB that is basically allowed to execute on only about 5 plays (including a bunch of short throws such as screens that everyone knew were coming?);

2) Those two games were against FSU & Clemson (which were two of the toughest games of the yr). You don’t think it’s normal for a young QB to have a few first start jitters/not be entirely comfortable out there? TVD looked robotic, jittery & pretty bad in his first 3 starts under Lashlee before turning it on in games 4-10. It takes time to get comfortable; and

3) Conservative decisions by Emory in those first two starts to avoid damaging Turnovers. After TVD had thrown 3-4 TOs in quite a few games (which gave us virtually no chance to win those games), Emory undoubtedly tried to avoid putting the team in bad positions. See the throw he made from his own end zone at the start of the FSU game. He put a ton of air under that intentionally so it was either caught by our WR or no-one. Emory typically has great touch on his passes. Once he’s developed a reputation as a very good QB & he’s gained additional experience, he likely throws that ball a little differently. He was simply trying to avoid putting his team in a really bad position.

Some other notes:

1) Emory beat Clemson in his 1st start (something we hadn’t come close to doing in a long time). He had a signature win in his first game as a starter (something I’d argue TVD didn’t do in 3 yrs);

2) Emory had us driving to tie undefeated FSU on the road in a super hostile environment in his 2nd start (when they were at full strength). We probably would have won that game if the ACC officials didn’t take that obvious safety away from us. They know exactly when to make those bogus calls (critical moments like the end of the 1st half & in the 4th qtr). Had we gotten those 2 pts plus the ball back plus gotten the ball to start the 2nd half, we likely beat FSU as all the momentum was going our way. The Conference badly needed a team in Playoffs to remain relevant. That also would have generated an extra $30 mm of revenue for the Conf so they did everything they could to prop up FSU. I think it’s highly likely Miami wins that game if the officiating had been fair. That likely would have made Emory 2-0 against two of our toughest opponents of the yr in his first two starts (in spite of all the challenges he faced, including super conservative & predictable play calling designed to protect him); and

3) Emory is injured & that is cause for concern. We also don’t have quality depth in the QB room & that is a concern.

I’m not advocating that we stay with what we’ve got (and don’t add a QB or two via the Portal). We need an experienced starter & high quality depth at the QB position & it’s too risky to not add QBs via the Portal (especially as Emory sustained a tough injury). What I’m saying is let’s respect a young QB that has a heart of a lion that we haven’t even seen at full speed without “one arm tied behind his back.” The feedback on Emory from some of our former greats at the QB position (who have seen him practice) has been very positive. I think he will be very good if he returns at full strength.
I like Emory the team loves Emory but I’m not comfortable with him starting yet. Year 3 is his year to take the reins. Emory never looked nervous in those games he looked in command just doesn’t have the ability yet to run an Offense. But if it’s him or Jacurri I would ride with either idk who I would prefer tbh. Probably Emory I think with more starts he develops into a really good player

Advertisement
At some point, Miami’s boosters have to be getting tired of paying above market price to compensate for Mario’s ineptitude.

At least I would if I was writing checks. No matter how much money one has, no one wants to pay more for something than everyone else.
Thankfully, it’s their money that paid for Mario to coach here. They kind of need to keep throwing money at his lack of knowledge.

Advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back