SWASEY

canadianhurricane

Sophomore
Ive been somewhat of a Swasey supporter the last couple of years. In my dream scenario, we have a real Strength and Conditioning Coach and Swasey stays on as our agility coach. Even after watching our team get out-muscled by FSU, Virginia, and K-State, I continued to partially support Swasey. I believed that UM was doing the best we could with the type of players that were brought here the last couple of years and the guidance, or lack thereof, they received.

But after watching USF, I refuse to believe UM, even with our mickey mouse recruiting the last couple of years, should be out-muscled by any USF team! As a team, we were not as strong at the point of attack as USF. They looked bigger and played more physical than us. That should never happen!

I know some of you guys want Kehoe gone next year, but at least Art has a proven track record. Swasey lived off Moffit for a couple years and he's been used as an excuse by NFL players to train in S.Florida for the summer. And now, most players go to Bomorrito (sp?) or some other training facility.

I really hope Al does the right thing for the team, cause we arent going anywhere with Swasey leading the off-season workouts.

Advertisement
Ive been somewhat of a Swasey supporter the last couple of years. In my dream scenario, we have a real Strength and Conditioning Coach and Swasey stays on as our agility coach. Even after watching our team get out-muscled by FSU, Virginia, and K-State, I continued to partially support Swasey. I believed that UM was doing the best we could with the type of players that were brought here the last couple of years and the guidance, or lack thereof, they received.

But after watching USF, I refuse to believe UM, even with our mickey mouse recruiting the last couple of years, should be out-muscled by any USF team! As a team, we were not as strong at the point of attack as USF. They looked bigger and played more physical than us. That should never happen!

I know some of you guys want Kehoe gone next year, but at least Art has a proven track record. Swasey lived off Moffit for a couple years and he's been used as an excuse by NFL players to train in S.Florida for the summer. And now, most players go to Bomorrito (sp?) or some other training facility.

I really hope Al does the right thing for the team, cause we arent going anywhere with Swasey leading the off-season workouts.

+1

Swasey needs to go or be relieved of his weight training duties. We are physically inferior to the top notch programs around the country. It shows on the field as well.

I don't understand it. You would think if he had pictures of the staff, it would have been rendered useless with the regime change. He must have Shalala pictures or something.

I think Swasey sucks.

HOWEVER, Golden is basically overseeing S&C now. He's talked about it a couple different times. I think back when he was hired, he said something about how S&C would be tailored to his expectations. And a couple weeks ago, he said it's going to take another year of S&C to get guys where he wants them physically.

Swasey is competent enough to execute Golden's plan. I think the problem under Coker and Shannon was that Swasey oversaw everything, and he wasn't suited for it, IMO.

Advertisement
Still don't understand what happened with Tony Decker, and why he didn't follow AG like he did from UVA to Temple. One of the best SC coaches in the game, with a strong tie to AG, is still just sitting there unemployed.

Still not sure how a guy that has no qualifications or certifications becomes head S&C coach at a major football program.

I know at least ten people on this **** board that are more qualified to do his job than he is.

Advertisement
I think the biggest problem when it comes to our players being undersized is they came in undersized. When Spence got here he was like 205 and didn't redshirt to develope size and strenght. Other guys like Grimble, Ojomo (undersized for tackle but not end), Gaines came in about 205, Travis Benjamin came in about 170. Other guys like Vernon, Fortson came in at playable weight. In the past we recruited undersized linebackers and defensive ends, now all our commits at linebacker are atleast 6-1 200+, defensive ends 230+ which a strength coach can work with better with than the past with undersized players. Also players have to get in the weight room on their own time Swasey only has so much time with these guys.

I think the biggest problem when it comes to our players being undersized is they came in undersized. When Spence got here he was like 205 and didn't redshirt to develope size and strenght. Other guys like Grimble, Ojomo (undersized for tackle but not end), Gaines came in about 205, Travis Benjamin came in about 170. Other guys like Vernon, Fortson came in at playable weight. In the past we recruited undersized linebackers and defensive ends, now all our commits at linebacker are atleast 6-1 200+, defensive ends 230+ which a strength coach can work with better with than the past with undersized players. Also players have to get in the weight room on their own time Swasey only has so much time with these guys.

The thread isn't about undersized players, it is about our oline which average 6'5 325. That isn't undersized in any shape or form They were handled by a more physical Dline and that wasn't the first time this year.

Part of my defense for Swasey is that when a coach (Randy) isn't interested in S&C then you get players who don't give a **** either. That's what Golden is talking about when he says it's going to take another year or so in his program.

I've always paid close attention to their numbers in high school and they were consistently a joke. It would be tough for a S&C coach to work with that.

Still, the guy has no qualifications. Baffling.

Advertisement
Still don't understand what happened with Tony Decker, and why he didn't follow AG like he did from UVA to Temple. One of the best SC coaches in the game, with a strong tie to AG, is still just sitting there unemployed.

I never kept up with the dude before Golden was hired, but I periodically google his name to see if he's surfaced anywhere. Something just doesn't add up.

[video=youtube;XSDyqHWgK3s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDyqHWgK3s&feature=channel_video_title[/video]

The very beginning of the video.

I think Swasey sucks.

HOWEVER, Golden is basically overseeing S&C now. He's talked about it a couple different times. I think back when he was hired, he said something about how S&C would be tailored to his expectations. And a couple weeks ago, he said it's going to take another year of S&C to get guys where he wants them physically.

Swasey is competent enough to execute Golden's plan. I think the problem under Coker and Shannon was that Swasey oversaw everything, and he wasn't suited for it, IMO.

I get what you are saying, but Golden isn't a S&C coach either. There is no reason why the U can't bring in one of the top S&C coaches out there. Where is Decker? This shouldn't even be on Golden's plate.

I think I read somewhere that Golden went to Decker and had him detail a S&C plan.

IIRC, I think Decker is retired by choice, but I could be wrong.

Advertisement
I think Swasey sucks.

This is seriously disputable. I've brought it up many times in the past, jhall is bringing it up in here... I think the fact that Swasey has no background, qualifications, or certifications in the field of strength and conditioning is a major, major deal and is not brought up enough. To not have any of those things and be leading a supposedly major college football program's strength and conditioning is a huge red flag.

I think Swasey sucks.

I get what you are saying, but Golden isn't a S&C coach either. There is no reason why the U can't bring in one of the top S&C coaches out there. Where is Decker? This shouldn't even be on Golden's plate.

This is the crux of things. Golden's not an S/C coach. The idea that Golden is running S/C is ludicrous--and if he's actually trying to then he's ludicrous. We can only surmise that Golden thinks Swasey is good enough to do this job provided that the expectations of the program are good enough. Golden has no formal S/C training as far as I can tell it so the idea that he runs the program while often proferred seems bizarre.

Beyond that, S/C was not responsible for this game. What was responsible was a lack of preparation and intensity. These guys are big and strong enough to handle USF just like they did 2 years ago. There's no conceivable way that our line can do a sufficient job against FSU (which they basically did) or an OSU but can't handle this team. Neglecting Swasey, the issue this game was one of motivation/preparation IMO. We can't just blame whatever coach we don't like from week to week. Were Shannon coaching this game, I can tell you that there wouldn't be much discussion of Swasey moreso the effort.

I think Swasey sucks.

This is the crux of things. Golden's not an S/C coach. The idea that Golden is running S/C is ludicrous

I don't think he's running S&C, but I think he has a detailed idea of what he wants in terms of weight, physical numbers, etc...

I think Swasey sucks.

This is the crux of things. Golden's not an S/C coach. The idea that Golden is running S/C is ludicrous--and if he's actually trying to then he's ludicrous. We can only surmise that Golden thinks Swasey is good enough to do this job provided that the expectations of the program are good enough. Golden has no formal S/C training as far as I can tell it so the idea that he runs the program while often proferred seems bizarre.

Beyond that, S/C was not responsible for this game. What was responsible was a lack of preparation and intensity. These guys are big and strong enough to handle USF just like they did 2 years ago. There's no conceivable way that our line can do a sufficient job against FSU (which they basically did) or an OSU but can't handle this team. Neglecting Swasey, the issue this game was one of motivation/preparation IMO. We can't just blame whatever coach we don't like from week to week. Were Shannon coaching this game, I can tell you that there wouldn't be much discussion of Swasey moreso the effort.

Another underhanded defense of Shannon. Typical. Swasey is typical of the Coker/Shannon era. He needs to be shytecanned just like the others. These players have been Shamminized. So has Swasey. He needs to go. If Golden doesnt do anything, he WILL be accountable and blamed, as he should, for Swasey's abysmal performance.

Advertisement
Back