SWASEY

I think Swasey sucks.

HOWEVER, Golden is basically overseeing S&C now. He's talked about it a couple different times. I think back when he was hired, he said something about how S&C would be tailored to his expectations. And a couple weeks ago, he said it's going to take another year of S&C to get guys where he wants them physically.

Swasey is competent enough to execute Golden's plan. I think the problem under Coker and Shannon was that Swasey oversaw everything, and he wasn't suited for it, IMO.

I get what you are saying, but Golden isn't a S&C coach either. There is no reason why the U can't bring in one of the top S&C coaches out there. Where is Decker? This shouldn't even be on Golden's plate.

This is the crux of things. Golden's not an S/C coach. The idea that Golden is running S/C is ludicrous--and if he's actually trying to then he's ludicrous. We can only surmise that Golden thinks Swasey is good enough to do this job provided that the expectations of the program are good enough. Golden has no formal S/C training as far as I can tell it so the idea that he runs the program while often proferred seems bizarre.

Beyond that, S/C was not responsible for this game. What was responsible was a lack of preparation and intensity. These guys are big and strong enough to handle USF just like they did 2 years ago. There's no conceivable way that our line can do a sufficient job against FSU (which they basically did) or an OSU but can't handle this team. Neglecting Swasey, the issue this game was one of motivation/preparation IMO. We can't just blame whatever coach we don't like from week to week. Were Shannon coaching this game, I can tell you that there wouldn't be much discussion of Swasey moreso the effort.

Couple of things with your comments. I don't think it is prep unless you want to say it has been an issue all year on short yardage. That is scheme/technique/strength. I saw several times when our oline was owned at the point of attack against Bethune, Oshwo, UVA. and all day yesterday. The thing I can't understand and don't have an answer for is I've seen Gunn knocked back, and even knocked on his *** in short yardage when he knows the count and it is a short yardage running play. Is there something we are missing that the D is keying on game to game? I just don't know, but I know it is happening.

I also think it is partially S&C, as well as technique. That obviously falls on Kehoe.

And the last comment is just flat wrong. Swasey has been getting called out since 05 and possible earlier from this group. The only thing related to Shannon as a comment has been that he protected him.

Advertisement
I think Swasey sucks.

HOWEVER, Golden is basically overseeing S&C now. He's talked about it a couple different times. I think back when he was hired, he said something about how S&C would be tailored to his expectations. And a couple weeks ago, he said it's going to take another year of S&C to get guys where he wants them physically.

Swasey is competent enough to execute Golden's plan. I think the problem under Coker and Shannon was that Swasey oversaw everything, and he wasn't suited for it, IMO.

I get what you are saying, but Golden isn't a S&C coach either. There is no reason why the U can't bring in one of the top S&C coaches out there. Where is Decker? This shouldn't even be on Golden's plate.

This is the crux of things. Golden's not an S/C coach. The idea that Golden is running S/C is ludicrous--and if he's actually trying to then he's ludicrous. We can only surmise that Golden thinks Swasey is good enough to do this job provided that the expectations of the program are good enough. Golden has no formal S/C training as far as I can tell it so the idea that he runs the program while often proferred seems bizarre.

Beyond that, S/C was not responsible for this game. What was responsible was a lack of preparation and intensity. These guys are big and strong enough to handle USF just like they did 2 years ago. There's no conceivable way that our line can do a sufficient job against FSU (which they basically did) or an OSU but can't handle this team. Neglecting Swasey, the issue this game was one of motivation/preparation IMO. We can't just blame whatever coach we don't like from week to week. Were Shannon coaching this game, I can tell you that there wouldn't be much discussion of Swasey moreso the effort.

Couple of things with your comments. I don't think it is prep unless you want to say it has been an issue all year on short yardage. That is scheme/technique/strength. I saw several times when our oline was owned at the point of attack against Bethune, Oshwo, UVA. and all day yesterday. The thing I can't understand and don't have an answer for is I've seen Gunn knocked back, and even knocked on his *** in short yardage when he knows the count and it is a short yardage running play. Is there something we are missing that the D is keying on game to game? I just don't know, but I know it is happening.

I also think it is partially S&C, as well as technique. That obviously falls on Kehoe.

And the last comment is just flat wrong. Swasey has been getting called out since 05 and possible earlier from this group. The only thing related to Shannon as a comment has been that he protected him.

I think we have major issues with technique and have had that for some time. Harland Gunn is one of our strongest linemen EVER as far as I can tell it yet he is routinely getting shoved into the backfield. He does not need pure strength training. He needs better ability to translate his strength into OL play. Same deal Andrew Bain when he was here. Over the past 5 years I'd argue that we've had some of our strongest pure strength lines ever. That goes for both sides. We need someone to teach them to use their strength to play football.

And whoever said this was a defense of Shannon is mindless. It has nothing to do with Shannon and everything to do with Golden. The point is that I at least think that we had a major problem with intensity/preparation for this game. That was a persistent problem under Shannon and this was a game we might've seen under him (some defense). It's hard for me to believe that this OL just isn't capable of blocking South Florida especially in the run game. They have to approach the games with more intensity or we'll never run the ball again. I have no problem with Golden but I trust that he considers his first order of business from this week trying to figure out why his offensive line didn't show up for the game--not accepting that they aren't strong enough to do the job.

I don't care much about Swasey one way or the other but if I see a game as pathetic as this one, the problem is far beyond him. We can fire him tomorrow but that won't solve the issue from this game IMO.

It's hard for me to believe that this OL just isn't capable of blocking South Florida especially in the run game. They have to approach the games with more intensity or we'll never run the ball again.

I would agree with this if the run blocking hadn't been bad all season.

Even earlier in the season when the numbers looked good, that was more a product of Lamar Miller simply ripping off a long TD run to embellish an otherwise bad day.

Virginia Tech was the only game where we really came off the ball and won consistently in the trenches.

And like Miami82 mentioned, short-yardage situations have been a complete disaster.

I think you nailed it when you said technique has been a big issue.

Ive been somewhat of a Swasey supporter the last couple of years. In my dream scenario, we have a real Strength and Conditioning Coach and Swasey stays on as our agility coach. Even after watching our team get out-muscled by FSU, Virginia, and K-State, I continued to partially support Swasey. I believed that UM was doing the best we could with the type of players that were brought here the last couple of years and the guidance, or lack thereof, they received.

But after watching USF, I refuse to believe UM, even with our mickey mouse recruiting the last couple of years, should be out-muscled by any USF team! As a team, we were not as strong at the point of attack as USF. They looked bigger and played more physical than us. That should never happen!

I know some of you guys want Kehoe gone next year, but at least Art has a proven track record. Swasey lived off Moffit for a couple years and he's been used as an excuse by NFL players to train in S.Florida for the summer. And now, most players go to Bomorrito (sp?) or some other training facility.

I really hope Al does the right thing for the team, cause we arent going anywhere with Swasey leading the off-season workouts.

+1

Swasey needs to go or be relieved of his weight training duties. We are physically inferior to the top notch programs around the country. It shows on the field as well.

Been saying this for years and years.

Advertisement
I think Swasey sucks.

I think we have major issues with technique and have had that for some time. Harland Gunn is one of our strongest linemen EVER as far as I can tell it yet he is routinely getting shoved into the backfield. He does not need pure strength training. He needs better ability to translate his strength into OL play. Same deal Andrew Bain when he was here. Over the past 5 years I'd argue that we've had some of our strongest pure strength lines ever. That goes for both sides. We need someone to teach them to use their strength to play football.

And whoever said this was a defense of Shannon is mindless. It has nothing to do with Shannon and everything to do with Golden. The point is that I at least think that we had a major problem with intensity/preparation for this game. That was a persistent problem under Shannon and this was a game we might've seen under him (some defense). It's hard for me to believe that this OL just isn't capable of blocking South Florida especially in the run game. They have to approach the games with more intensity or we'll never run the ball again. I have no problem with Golden but I trust that he considers his first order of business from this week trying to figure out why his offensive line didn't show up for the game--not accepting that they aren't strong enough to do the job.

I don't care much about Swasey one way or the other but if I see a game as pathetic as this one, the problem is far beyond him. We can fire him tomorrow but that won't solve the issue from this game IMO.

Yes. That is why I also mentioned the Shamminized players we have, the underperforming busts and scrubs and talented underachievers we have, from Ray Ray to Miller to Forston to Byrd to Benjamin etc.

In your typical passive aggressive manner, you are trying to scapegoat Golden for the SHamminized players and Shamminized coaches and Shamminized culture he inherited. He inherited a 28-22 program that spent 4 years turning into a culture of mediocrity and and you want to scapegoat him for not changing that culture in a year. Just like those geniuses that spent most of this year scapegoating DOnofrio when he was trying desperately to make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Swasey (and Kehoe) should be shytecanned by Golden after this season. If he doesnt, and if they continue to fail miserably at their jobs, then Golden WILL pay for it by being shytecanned himself. Golden's mulligan ends this year and we **** well better improve next year or his seat should start to get warm as well.

I think Swasey sucks.

Yes. That is why I also mentioned the Shamminized players we have, the underperforming busts and scrubs and talented underachievers we have, from Ray Ray to Miller to Forston to Byrd to Benjamin etc.

In your typical passive aggressive manner, you are trying to scapegoat Golden for the SHamminized players and Shamminized coaches and Shamminized culture he inherited. He inherited a 28-22 program that spent 4 years turning into a culture of mediocrity and and you want to scapegoat him for not changing that culture in a year. Just like those geniuses that spent most of this year scapegoating DOnofrio when he was trying desperately to make chicken salad out of chicken ****.

Swasey (and Kehoe) should be shytecanned by Golden after this season. If he doesnt, and if they continue to fail miserably at their jobs, then Golden WILL pay for it by being shytecanned himself. Golden's mulligan ends this year and we **** well better improve next year or his seat should start to get warm as well.

I have no problem with Golden, genius. In general I've been impressed with how these guys have competed this year. That does not change the fact that for this PUTRID GAME, we were not prepared IMO. This putrid game is not on Swasey. It's on our intensity and preparation. Now if you've wanted Swasey gone for years, fine. Fire away. I don't care. But we were strong enough to block this team if we came in the game ready to dominate them.

If Al Golden is sitting somewhere contemplating firing Swasey rather than figuring out why we played such a sleepy, morose, obtunded offensive game, that is an issue. They may both be problems but neither is to be absolved. It's not excusable that we failed to run the ball on this team and (yet again) put our entire offense on the back of a quarterback that was supposed to be "managing games" this year.

It's hard for me to believe that this OL just isn't capable of blocking South Florida especially in the run game. They have to approach the games with more intensity or we'll never run the ball again.

Even earlier in the season when the numbers looked good, that was more a product of Lamar Miller simply ripping off a long TD run to embellish an otherwise bad day.

Virginia Tech was the only game where we really came off the ball and won consistently in the trenches.

And like Miami82 mentioned, short-yardage situations have been a complete disaster.

I disagree with you here. Yes Miller breaks long runs but not 70 yarders otherwise obscuring trouble. Also consider that Miller is a product of his line. He's not a Barry Sanders or LeSean McCoy that makes runs out of nowhere. He breaks runs because the line gave him a hole to break a run. He's not elusive.

There's no way that anybody can tell me that nothing changed and it's just Swasey/Kehoe. Our schedule hasn't gotten considerably harder. For our first 5 games, we ran the ball at 5.3 per clip. 171 runs 913 yards. For the remainder we're 211/713. 3.4 a clip. Take out Duke and we're AVERAGING 2.6 yards per carry. Are we really saying that nothing has happened and we just can't run.

What actually happened is up to the beholder. I think it's complicated. Certainly teams play us differently but I think we approach games differently as well. When the season started the edict was the OL was our strength. Miller was our strength. 12 was our weakness. We HAD to run to win. Jacory's played well this year and I think the entire offense has gotten more and more comfortable with the idea of him winning us games. We don't HAVE to run anymore. Our OL is not playing with the intensity they did IMO. Whether one believes that or not, it was clear and evident to me that last game they had no intensity whatsoever.

Last edited:

I disagree with you here. Yes Miller breaks long runs but not 70 yarders otherwise obscuring trouble. Also consider that Miller is a product of his line. He's not a Barry Sanders or LeSean McCoy that makes runs out of nowhere. He breaks runs because the line gave him a hole to break a run. He's not elusive.

There's no way that anybody can tell me that nothing changed and it's just Swasey/Kehoe. Our schedule hasn't gotten considerably harder. For our first 5 games, we ran the ball at 5.3 per clip. 171 runs 913 yards. For the remainder we're 211/713. 3.4 a clip. Take out Duke and we're AVERAGING 2.6 yards per carry. Are we really saying that nothing has happened and we just can't run.

What actually happened is up to the beholder. I think it's complicated. Certainly teams play us differently but I think we approach games differently as well. When the season started the edict was the OL was our strength. Miller was our strength. 12 was our weakness. We HAD to run to win. Jacory's played well this year and I think the entire offense has gotten more and more comfortable with the idea of him winning us games. We don't HAVE to run anymore. Our OL is not playing with the intensity they did IMO. Whether one believes that or not, it was clear and evident to me that last game they had no intensity whatsoever.

Our averages have dropped precipitously because Miller hasn't been beasting the same, and I don't think it's because the OL has been playing with less intensity.

In the first 5 games, Miller had at least one huge carry in each game: 41, 54, 59, 43, and 37 yards.

Since then, his longest carry was 22 against Duke.

I don't know what the root cause is, but I've seen the offensive line play consistently all year...consistently bad. I've been mentioning it since early in the season. Miller would be running for 2, 3, 2, and then 50.

If you think the o-line's intensity is waning, who do you think is to blame? Do you think it's a head coach issue, a position coach issue, or an individual player issue? The reason I ask is because the overall team intensity has been pretty solid most of the season.

Advertisement

Our averages have dropped precipitously because Miller hasn't been beasting the same, and I don't think it's because the OL has been playing with less intensity.

In the first 5 games, Miller had at least one huge carry in each game: 41, 54, 59, 43, and 37 yards.

Since then, his longest carry was 22 against Duke.

I don't know what the root cause is, but I've seen the offensive line play consistently all year...consistently bad. I've been mentioning it since early in the season. Miller would be running for 2, 3, 2, and then 50.

If you think the o-line's intensity is waning, who do you think is to blame? Do you think it's a head coach issue, a position coach issue, or an individual player issue? The reason I ask is because the overall team intensity has been pretty solid most of the season.

If you're asking me about why the line play is mediocre overall, I say that it's very complicated. If the question is specifically about why the line isn't playing as well lately, it's multiple things IMO but I've addressed some. I think the entire offense has shifted their focus from where the game is won. I really believe that running the football is in large part about attitude. Teams that come to run the ball run the ball. When we had to run in mid/late 2010, we ran. When we supposedly had to run early this year, we ran fine. Lately I think the emphasis of the offense has gone from the run to Jacory. Jacory has kept us in and/or won us several games this year and he's earned the trust of the offense, the OC, and the head coach if not the fanbase. We're not approaching games as though we have to run the ball or we're screwed.

Admittedly teams aren't necessarily playing us the same either. But as far as I'm concerned, a debacle like yesterday doesn't happen to us vs a team like that unless we contribute which I think is happening.

It's clear that Swasey is part of the problem. Any reasonable fan that's watched this team for the past 10 years knows that he's a big part of the problem. Sure, it's foolish to label him as the one and only issue at hand, but anyone who tries to somehow shift blame away from Swasey just hasn't watched our games. We need to upgrade that coaching position in a big way.

As far as Decker is concerned, I remember reading somewhere that family issues were why he could not relocate.

I've really never read anything anywhere that said why Decker did not come to UM. All I remember is Tano's ridiculous assertions that he knew more than we did about Decker becoming UM's new S&C coach.

I've really never read anything anywhere that said why Decker did not come to UM. All I remember is Tano's ridiculous assertions that he knew more than we did about Decker becoming UM's new S&C coach.

LMAO, I forgot about that. I'll have to remind him we are still waiting to hear...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Frankly, I think your problem has much more to do with the type of players you were recruiting more than Swasey. When you lose, everyone looks for someone to blame. For example, Spence came to UM at like 190. Even if a S&C coach puts 30 lbs. on him, he's still at 220 which is still pretty small for a backer. I remember Benjamin being like 155 at a UF camp his senior year. You could put 20+ lbs. on that guy and he'd still be small. A lot of your recruits were like that. Buchanon for example was a safety in high school, I remember UF wanted him in a rover type roll. Yet he's playing linebacker for you guys. That has nothing to do with the strength coach, you have to recruit guys with the frame to add bulk. The past few years Miami hasn't done that IMO. That's where it starts. Bama isn't recruiting 200 lb. linebackers and bulking them up to 250. Their guys are coming in at 220, the strength coach already has a very good base to work with. For example, I remember reading something in the lounge last year about Henderson not being able to bench 185 or something like that COMING in. How is a man that big so mediocre in the weight room? That's on the strength coach? The guy clearly put no work in the weightroom in high school.

Regarding your guys upfront, I don't think strength is their problem. Looking at some of the numbers posted over the last year or two, Miami's strength numbers stack up with anyone. Where you guys go wrong is equating size with strength. UF for example had the biggest line in the SEC in 10', yet they were putrid. Just because you have a big line and they get pushed around it doesn't mean they're weak. Like I said UF had the biggest o-line in the SEC last year and they were by far the strongest unit in the Meyer era, and arguably the worst. Technique and leverage are what wins in the trenches, not pure strength. Harland Gunn strength's numbers would make him the strongest BY FAR on any of UF's championship lines the past few years. Yet, I doubt he would see any pt. on any of them. Physically, your o-line now would embarrass your 01' unit in the weight room, how many of this current group do you think would see any pt? Probably none. Don't you guys think its a coincidence your unit that's underperforming is a guy who can't keep a job anywhere but UM? Maybe you should start there.

Swasey may be part of the problem, but Gunn is one of the strongest dudes to play at UM and he consistently gets the **** beat out of him. He was flailing BAD against USF. Kehoe scares me to death.

Feel like Golden is bringing in bigger players on DL/LB, but Kehoe has always loved small OL, and I'm not a fan of that philosophy, especially when you need kids to contribute early.

Kehoe can only work with what he can work with.

Kehoe likes smaller, low center mass, quicker, meaner linemen, and he's stated clearly his preference.

Kehoe reflects the same ideas as did Bear Bryant. They were never the biggest men on the field - they just played that way.

Give him a chance.

I always preferred to fight men who were a head taller and at least 75 pounds on me, because due to their size alone, most people avoided fighting them and they hadn't been really tried. SH is apparently one who has been able to skate entirely due to his size. ***** that.

The trick is to find the big nasty's. Low center of gravity, strength, quickness, technique, and a really bad attitude when the mouthpiece goes in.

Advertisement
Back