Swasey gone? FAP!!!!

I still think the S&C problems these last few years have been a Head Coach and recruiting problem. You have to recruit kids who want it, and you have to have a HC that raises the stakes for kids who don't push, and disciplines guys who go through the motions. Shannon had favorites who got away with whatever.

Golden replacing Shannon empowered Swasey. You could see how excited he was this Spring about UTough. The between the lines stuff to me was that he was held back. I rethink now he has the ability to raise the stakes for kids who don't push.

Again, its also a recruiting issue. Look at the type of kid Golden describes that he wants. It's not a coincidence. The fact that Golden retained Swasey was somewhat of a final commentary on this great debate. Now, we get to see where S&C goes from here. I'll say this, we're in much better shape than we were last year and I am amazed at how well we held up where you consider we were playing 37 or 38 guys all year.

Agree and disagree.

Agree that problem started up top with both Shannon and Coker. Neither was adept to run a program and as a result, everyone below (coaches and players) suffered.

But disagree to the extent that Swasey had to be awakened into busting *** again. He should have been doing that the entire time. If he got lazy or complacent under Shannon or Coker, then it's on him too.

Lets not forget that Swasey isn't academically qualified for the position as well.

I've mentioned this in other thread. USC's S&C coach has a bachelor's and master's in education. So while it's not optimal, it's not uncommon either.

I've had opportunity to train with some phenomenal trainers, some of whom were credentialed (Ph.D.) and others who weren't, and while techniques and vantage point are different, both effective and phenomenal in their own regard.

In short, it's not necessary, IMO.

I trained for about a year with a former college football player who does not have credentials but is the top trainer in South Florida, and has trained or trains Joe Johnson, Mario Chalmers, Durant, Ibaka, Shockey, Sydney Rice, Orien Harris, Charles Johnson, Marion Barber, Steven Tulloch, and a slew of other top notch athletes and his knowledge or effectiveness isn't limited in any way by the fact that he doesn't have a kinesiology degree.

eh, I hear you and I can use my own experience in this. I was a trainer at Gold's for over 5 years when I was putting myself through school, I still wouldn't say I'd be the first choice of a top CFB program and I got great results as well.

The thing is we have seen Swasey's results, or lack of. He isn't a power guy, and as I've said in other threads he isn't the only issue here. Technique being taught from the position coach is lacking as well. IMO it is a combination of things and they are just not working for this oline. We regressed this year.

Advertisement
I still think the S&C problems these last few years have been a Head Coach and recruiting problem. You have to recruit kids who want it, and you have to have a HC that raises the stakes for kids who don't push, and disciplines guys who go through the motions. Shannon had favorites who got away with whatever.

Golden replacing Shannon empowered Swasey. You could see how excited he was this Spring about UTough. The between the lines stuff to me was that he was held back. I rethink now he has the ability to raise the stakes for kids who don't push.

Again, its also a recruiting issue. Look at the type of kid Golden describes that he wants. It's not a coincidence. The fact that Golden retained Swasey was somewhat of a final commentary on this great debate. Now, we get to see where S&C goes from here. I'll say this, we're in much better shape than we were last year and I am amazed at how well we held up where you consider we were playing 37 or 38 guys all year.

Agree and disagree.

Agree that problem started up top with both Shannon and Coker. Neither was adept to run a program and as a result, everyone below (coaches and players) suffered.

But disagree to the extent that Swasey had to be awakened into busting *** again. He should have been doing that the entire time. If he got lazy or complacent under Shannon or Coker, then it's on him too.

Lets not forget that Swasey isn't academically qualified for the position as well.

Building on what Alex just said, there was a chart on S&C accreditation at top schools going back. You'd be amazed how many top guys don't have the paperwork. Who cares? That's a cop out to me and a failed argument. Its WAY late for that.

****, I was a finance major and ended up in production and marketing after an early career in PR and acquisitions (entertainment, not business). Whoops. I know some english majors making bank on Wall Street. There are a lot of top NFL players that swear by him, and in my mind, this debate was settled when Al Golden retained him. If Swasey was the problem, he's be gone. That's the best piece of evidence we have in this completely subjective debate.

Al Golden played TE... but ended up as a top DC. Swasey played ball, coached at the D1 level, and interned, trained, and learned from some of the best guys, and he's a S&C guy. And he'd paid his dues. Again, that accreditation argument really sits poorly with me every time someone brings it up.

Wrong. The article in question was for ACC coaches, btw.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/12035/meet-the-accs-strength-coaches

The only notable is VT's coach, who got a doctorate in the subject. GT's coach got a masters in exercise science as well.
Swasey was a sociology major.

But yeah, I guess Duke's coach has a similar background. :confused:

The Gold standard IMO is the SEC, they have beast teams and for the most part their S&C coaches are edumicated.

Agree and disagree.

I've mentioned this in other thread. USC's S&C coach has a bachelor's and master's in education. So while it's not optimal, it's not uncommon either.

I've had opportunity to train with some phenomenal trainers, some of whom were credentialed (Ph.D.) and others who weren't, and while techniques and vantage point are different, both effective and phenomenal in their own regard.

I trained for about a year with a former college football player who does not have credentials but is the top trainer in South Florida, and has trained or trains Joe Johnson, Mario Chalmers, Durant, Ibaka, Shockey, Sydney Rice, Orien Harris, Charles Johnson, Marion Barber, Steven Tulloch, and a slew of other top notch athletes and his knowledge or effectiveness isn't limited in any way by the fact that he doesn't have a kinesiology degree.

eh, I hear you and I can use my own experience in this. I was a trainer at Gold's for over 5 years when I was putting myself through school, I still wouldn't say I'd be the first choice of a top CFB program and I got great results as well.

The thing is we have seen Swasey's results, or lack of. He isn't a power guy, and as I've said in other threads he isn't the only issue here. Technique being taught from the position coach is lacking as well. IMO it is a combination of things and they are just not working for this oline. We regressed this year.

Manny Navarro - and I can't recall if this was last year or the year before - documented that that particular team ('09/'010?) was stronger, by the numbers, than the 2001 championship team. So I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that "we have seen Swasey's results, or lack of" if the actual numbers prove otherwise. Manny's piece told me that technique and talent was missing rather than weight room numbers.

I don't know if our OL "regressed." Certainly, it didn't play up to our expectations. How much of this is due to Seantrel's injury? Our expected LT starter had to be moved to RT and we had to move B-Wash to OT. If Seantrel is healthy, are we still having this discussion about Swasey's merits?

Agree and disagree.

Manny Navarro - and I can't recall if this was last year or the year before - documented that that particular team ('09/'010?) was stronger, by the numbers, than the 2001 championship team. So I don't know how you can come to the conclusion that "we have seen Swasey's results, or lack of" if the actual numbers prove otherwise. Manny's piece told me that technique and talent was missing rather than weight room numbers.

I don't know if our OL "regressed." Certainly, it didn't play up to our expectations. How much of this is due to Seantrel's injury? Our expected LT starter had to be moved to RT and we had to move B-Wash to OT. If Seantrel is healthy, are we still having this discussion about Swasey's merits?

I disagree to their size to strength ratio. By the numbers they may be lifting more, but they are also much larger individuals. I don't think we have ever averaged 6'5 325 per lineman until this year. If I call correctly and we have hashed this out many many times our bench numbers are some of the worst in CFB and we have also argued the importance of that lift.

Bottom line Alex, is it is a combination of both (S&C/technique) from what I've been watching the last few years.

Agree and disagree.

I disagree to their size to strength ratio. By the numbers they may be lifting more, but they are also much larger individuals. I don't think we have ever averaged 6'5 325 per lineman until this year. If I call correctly and we have hashed this out many many times our bench numbers are some of the worst in CFB and we have also argued the importance of that lift.

Bottom line Alex, is it is a combination of both (S&C/technique) from what I've been watching the last few years.
This. Also, Manny went by the official weight room numbers released by the team. Every year during the Shancoker years we'd hear how we were stronger. It was either BS or off-point. Maybe he was looking at the top 5 by metric. Not sure how he calculated it. But in the last decade, the best S&C programs around CFB have moved miles past what we're producing. It's been obvious that we have way too few people out there who can match up physically with the LSUs of the world. Waaaaay too few. Obviously it's not only a strength issue, either, but a physicality one.

Advertisement

Agree and disagree.

And how much of that is recruiting and how much is S&C? Generally, across the board, we've recruited smaller kids. At OL, we tried turning both Plein and White into OL. We projected - falsely - that they'd turn into OL. I saw White a year ago and he had a lot of bad weight - which implies that he was putting on weight just to put on weight, despite the fact that he simply did not have the frame to naturally carry 290+. Perhaps we should stop recruiting 240 lb TE and assuming they are going to follow the route of Eric Winston.

We need to recruit bigger kids. Look at Saban's kids. Those linebackers are legit 240. And they can run. They are coming in as big boys. I love Sean Spence, but would Saban even recruit a 190 lb high school senior LB?

And just to add to the foregoing, our "power" back is Mike James - who, in his own right, is an impressive physical specimen - but he's 5'10", 5'11", 215 or so, and simply doesn't have the frame and natural build to be a legitimate "power" back.

And just to add to the foregoing, our "power" back is Mike James - who, in his own right, is an impressive physical specimen - but he's 5'10", 5'11", 215 or so, and simply doesn't have the frame and natural build to be a legitimate "power" back.

Which explains the Danny Dillard commitment I think

Advertisement

Agree and disagree.

And how much of that is recruiting and how much is S&C? Generally, across the board, we've recruited smaller kids. At OL, we tried turning both Plein and White into OL. We projected - falsely - that they'd turn into OL. I saw White a year ago and he had a lot of bad weight - which implies that he was putting on weight just to put on weight, despite the fact that he simply did not have the frame to naturally carry 290+. Perhaps we should stop recruiting 240 lb TE and assuming they are going to follow the route of Eric Winston.

We need to recruit bigger kids. Look at Saban's kids. Those linebackers are legit 240. And they can run. They are coming in as big boys. I love Sean Spence, but would Saban even recruit a 190 lb high school senior LB?

You're doing a lot of dancing here and putting up a lot of straw men. No one is talking about White or Plein. We're talking about huge 300lbs OL getting bitc*slapped all over the field.

You're right that Swasey isnt the only problem. Its a combination of a garbage strength coach and Shamminized players that just dont care, or are lazy, or unfocused, or just plain accept mediocrity.

To fix this we need to do both - shytecan the failed strength coach and jettison the dead weight. If Golden doesnt do these things, he is jeopardizing his own future and he will have no one to blame in a few years when we are still getting pushed around except himself.

You're right that Swasey isnt the only problem. Its a combination of a garbage strength coach and Shamminized players that just dont care, or are lazy, or unfocused, or just plain accept mediocrity.

To fix this we need to do both - shytecan the failed strength coach and jettison the dead weight. If Golden doesnt do these things, he is jeopardizing his own future and he will have no one to blame in a few years when we are still getting pushed around except himself.

Agreed with Golden. He noticed this last year in the ND game. I'm hopeful he starts from scratch and hires a new S&C staff, as well as a OL coach. Ok to be honest I'm praying...

Last edited:
No dancing at all. We need to recruit bigger kids. It's that simple. I think Golden reverses the trend of recruiting smaller guys and hoping that they fill in.

Advertisement
I think Eduardo Clements has taken over the power back role from James.

And he's even smaller ...

I think that speaks to the larger issue, it's about attitude. Clements being a better power back has nothing to do with size or strength, its about attitude. It's why our hardest hitting linebacker is Perryman, and he may be the smallest. Those two guys are fearless....I think that's what Golden needs to address more than just weight room numbers. We have too many soft players.

We need to recruit bigger kids. It's that simple.

But at the same time, you have the head coach saying we need to get in the weight room and get stronger and more physical. He specifically mentioned physicality on both lines of scrimmage.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back