Swasey gone? FAP!!!!

I thought by then he had been hired as an indy consultant. I don't know if that's true or not but I had not been told the K fell through. Who the F knows. There were people on the staff who thought he was coming, and I asked people who normally don't put themselves out there and say one way or another and they seemed certain as well, so it probably just fell through.

Again, what I do know is that a strength coach doesn't wake up one morning and decide to change up his entire regiment and purchase a ton of new equipment because the head coach gave him some macro changes, especially an uncertified strength coach. Does anyone here think that Golden didn't consult with his longtime strength coach when deciding what changes to implement in the program?

Last edited:
Advertisement
I still think the S&C problems these last few years have been a Head Coach and recruiting problem. You have to recruit kids who want it, and you have to have a HC that raises the stakes for kids who don't push, and disciplines guys who go through the motions. Shannon had favorites who got away with whatever.

Golden replacing Shannon empowered Swasey. You could see how excited he was this Spring about UTough. The between the lines stuff to me was that he was held back. I rethink now he has the ability to raise the stakes for kids who don't push.

Again, its also a recruiting issue. Look at the type of kid Golden describes that he wants. It's not a coincidence. The fact that Golden retained Swasey was somewhat of a final commentary on this great debate. Now, we get to see where S&C goes from here. I'll say this, we're in much better shape than we were last year and I am amazed at how well we held up where you consider we were playing 37 or 38 guys all year.

LOL @ Storm. I was literally JUST wondering if you were over here. Ironically, I thought about you while reading the brandon Washington thread. Your comment about him on the raising Cnaes video is probably the most underrated laugher of all time.

I still think the S&C problems these last few years have been a Head Coach and recruiting problem. You have to recruit kids who want it, and you have to have a HC that raises the stakes for kids who don't push, and disciplines guys who go through the motions. Shannon had favorites who got away with whatever.

Golden replacing Shannon empowered Swasey. You could see how excited he was this Spring about UTough. The between the lines stuff to me was that he was held back. I rethink now he has the ability to raise the stakes for kids who don't push.

Again, its also a recruiting issue. Look at the type of kid Golden describes that he wants. It's not a coincidence. The fact that Golden retained Swasey was somewhat of a final commentary on this great debate. Now, we get to see where S&C goes from here. I'll say this, we're in much better shape than we were last year and I am amazed at how well we held up where you consider we were playing 37 or 38 guys all year.

Agree and disagree.

Agree that problem started up top with both Shannon and Coker. Neither was adept to run a program and as a result, everyone below (coaches and players) suffered.

But disagree to the extent that Swasey had to be awakened into busting *** again. He should have been doing that the entire time. If he got lazy or complacent under Shannon or Coker, then it's on him too.

Advertisement

Agree and disagree.

Agree that problem started up top with both Shannon and Coker. Neither was adept to run a program and as a result, everyone below (coaches and players) suffered.

But disagree to the extent that Swasey had to be awakened into busting *** again. He should have been doing that the entire time. If he got lazy or complacent under Shannon or Coker, then it's on him too.

Lets not forget that Swasey isn't academically qualified for the position as well.

Agree and disagree.

Lets not forget that Swasey isn't academically qualified for the position as well.

Not just academically. Just not qualified period. Dude wasnt even a personal trainer at LA Fitnest forst for Tebow's sake

Agree and disagree.

I've mentioned this in other thread. USC's S&C coach has a bachelor's and master's in education. So while it's not optimal, it's not uncommon either.

I've had opportunity to train with some phenomenal trainers, some of whom were credentialed (Ph.D.) and others who weren't, and while techniques and vantage point are different, both effective and phenomenal in their own regard.

In short, it's not necessary, IMO.

I trained for about a year with a former college football player who does not have credentials but is the top trainer in South Florida, and has trained or trains Joe Johnson, Mario Chalmers, Durant, Ibaka, Shockey, Sydney Rice, Orien Harris, Charles Johnson, Marion Barber, Steven Tulloch, and a slew of other top notch athletes and his knowledge or effectiveness isn't limited in any way by the fact that he doesn't have a kinesiology degree.

Agree and disagree.

See I am proposing that he never wanted to stop busting ***. He's an intense dude. He can yell at kids and tell them to do this or that, but unless you have high character, hard working kids and a staff that's willing to back up the S&C staff with threats of playing time withheld, instead of the Shannon favorite game, he can do whatever he wants but its not going to move the needle. Its going to fall on deaf ears. Its like a teacher begin tough with a student... unless the parent is on board, willing to discipline the kid, ground the kid, take away things the kid values, the kid isn't going to care or listen to the teacher.

That's why open school night was my nightmare growing up:)

Advertisement

Agree and disagree.

Building on what Alex just said, there was a chart on S&C accreditation at top schools going back. You'd be amazed how many top guys don't have the paperwork. Who cares? That's a cop out to me and a failed argument. Its WAY late for that.

****, I was a finance major and ended up in production and marketing after an early career in PR and acquisitions (entertainment, not business). Whoops. I know some english majors making bank on Wall Street. There are a lot of top NFL players that swear by him, and in my mind, this debate was settled when Al Golden retained him. If Swasey was the problem, he's be gone. That's the best piece of evidence we have in this completely subjective debate.

Al Golden played TE... but ended up as a top DC. Swasey played ball, coached at the D1 level, and interned, trained, and learned from some of the best guys, and he's a S&C guy. And he'd paid his dues. Again, that accreditation argument really sits poorly with me every time someone brings it up.

let's hire this guy..

[video=youtube_share;pqf7CUc2vfE]http://youtu.be/pqf7CUc2vfE[/video]

Agree and disagree.

Building on what Alex just said, there was a chart on S&C accreditation at top schools going back. You'd be amazed how many top guys don't have the paperwork. Who cares? That's a cop out to me and a failed argument. Its WAY late for that.

****, I was a finance major and ended up in production and marketing after an early career in PR and acquisitions (entertainment, not business). Whoops. I know some english majors making bank on Wall Street. There are a lot of top NFL players that swear by him, and in my mind, this debate was settled when Al Golden retained him. If Swasey was the problem, he's be gone. That's the best piece of evidence we have in this completely subjective debate.

Al Golden played TE... but ended up as a top DC. Swasey played ball, coached at the D1 level, and interned, trained, and learned from some of the best guys, and he's a S&C guy. And he'd paid his dues. Again, that accreditation argument really sits poorly with me every time someone brings it up.

Wrong. The article in question was for ACC coaches, btw.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/12035/meet-the-accs-strength-coaches

The only notable is VT's coach, who got a doctorate in the subject. GT's coach got a masters in exercise science as well.
Swasey was a sociology major.

But yeah, I guess Duke's coach has a similar background. :confused:

Last edited:

Agree and disagree.

I've mentioned this in other thread. USC's S&C coach has a bachelor's and master's in education. So while it's not optimal, it's not uncommon either.

I've had opportunity to train with some phenomenal trainers, some of whom were credentialed (Ph.D.) and others who weren't, and while techniques and vantage point are different, both effective and phenomenal in their own regard.

I trained for about a year with a former college football player who does not have credentials but is the top trainer in South Florida, and has trained or trains Joe Johnson, Mario Chalmers, Durant, Ibaka, Shockey, Sydney Rice, Orien Harris, Charles Johnson, Marion Barber, Steven Tulloch, and a slew of other top notch athletes and his knowledge or effectiveness isn't limited in any way by the fact that he doesn't have a kinesiology degree.

True as well.

Advertisement
Swasey thinks Battle Ropes is a new show on F/X.

Swasey thinks a Prowler is one step up from a Cougar.

Swasey thinks a Powerclean is something you do every spring.

Swasey thinks a snatch is......well.....he didn't get it right, put it that way.

JHall, you really grabbed my attention when you mentioned snatch, but then kind of faded.

Was that it?

Agree and disagree.

True as well.

My personal experience is that the guys with Ph.Ds and masters in kinesiology tend to get a bit too caught up in the hyper-technical aspects of particular lifts. I think sometimes they forget that they are training football players and not professional weightlifters.

Advertisement
Who was the guy from SoFl that Beason was training with? IIRC there was a workout video posted on one of the forums. He looked like he was doing good things.

Thanks Alex,

If anything changes with S&C I think it will happen quickly after the season. AG won't want to miss out on the month of workouts we are now afforded without bowl prep.

Advertisement
Back