Surtain Sr. on Joe Rose 2/8

If he truly believes that rumph is a great developer of talent why didn't his son want to play for him?

Would you want your kid coached by Saban or Rumph?

Or would you like to play for a national title the 3 or 4 years you are in college? Look, Alabama has a new position coach. He had a long term relationship with Corey Raymond who he told to go ***** himself.

Advertisement
If he truly believes that rumph is a great developer of talent why didn't his son want to play for him?

Would you want your kid coached by Saban or Rumph?

Idk. Saban’s cbs haven’t done so hot in the NFL. Probably bama’s biggest bust position ironically considering saban is the dB coach.

They get drafted high and get paid. That’s what matters to the kids making decisions. Do you think Surtain cares about what round Fitzpatrick gets drafted in and how much he gets paid, or do you think he cares about how Fitzpatrick is performing in year 4 in the NFL?

Since I’ve been following recruiting, Broward kids seem to love winners, we have to win bigger at the end of the day man

Because the Broward kids we have problems with are the ones who are already used to being front runners and getting benefits by running to the stacked private schools. Same with Dade. Miami rarely has problems with the public school kids. Sony, Ridley, SBB, McFadden, Burns, Scarlett, Irvin, Wilson, Slaton, Henderson, Jobe, Samuels, Campbell, Surtain. Go through Miami's big misses and it's going to be filled with a laundry list of who's who of private Dade or Broward kids

Let me ask you a basic question. How many of these kid's actually paid for their private school tuition?

none of them that's why I said it's kids that have already become accustomed to getting benefits.

So Dmoney created the DSJ character just to drum up excitement during a boring signing day? This was what I said last week and I still stand by it.

Advertisement
Good point by am1640.
We signed a great db class outside of those 2 and didn’t miss on any db, save those 2. And rumph is developing and coaching up dbs. Wasn’t hired for those 2.

And silvera isn’t starting day 1. Maybe if he arrived in Jan, but, doubtful arriving in summer.

Bingo. I call horse****. Either say he isn't good enough to coach my son up, or Saban offered "US" something we couldn't pass up.

UM

This is just stupid. What do you think that Saban could offer a guy who made millions playing in the NFL? Both Campbell and Surtain made the decision that they were better off being coached by Georgia and Alabama, rather than Rumph, and you can’t really argue with that decision.

Both played in the championship game. Its obvious they felt miami wasn't close to winning it all.

Yep! Frontrunners who got huge bags by the two title game participants. Can't get any more simple than that.

I listened to the tail end of the interview live, PS1 is clearly good friends with Joe Rose as former Fins. He said he was staying at AH but it did not sound to me like he was certain. Talked about being unbeaten and great years to come. The longer PS1 is at AH the worst it will be for us to get the truly top talent from there. We need him out of there or just concentrate on St Thomas, which we are doing for the class of 19. The lead recruiter for AH should be someone else next year!

Advertisement
He really thinks he and his family are too good for the University of Miami. He should be treated like a lepper. I’m not going to wish ill on his child, but I don’t care what happens to this too cool MF

Last edited:

Bingo. I call horse****. Either say he isn't good enough to coach my son up, or Saban offered "US" something we couldn't pass up.

UM

This is just stupid. What do you think that Saban could offer a guy who made millions playing in the NFL? Both Campbell and Surtain made the decision that they were better off being coached by Georgia and Alabama, rather than Rumph, and you can’t really argue with that decision.

Name the last highly drafted cb from Georgia or one that played well in the NFL

What does that have to do with anything? It’s a mostly new coaching staff. Schools don’t develop players, coaches do.

Means everything. There is no track record there. No history of players at that particular position being developed. Sounds more like falling in love with the idea of something as opposed to the actual history. Kirby didn’t even really coach cbs at bama, that was saban’s baby. And most of bama’s corners have sucked and that’s with having the best front seven doing their dirty work. In rumph’s short tenure he’s actually gotten a few guys to the league including one that was for sure not getting drafted had he stayed where he was.

Have you watched georgia’s Cb play the last two years under Smart? Probably one of their weaker position units and cost them a title along with some poor coaching decisions

Last edited:
-
-Rumph develops his corners, & they will be coached up. Critical fans of him should be punched in the face.

Now he patronizes him, if I was Rumph I'd spit in his and Chad Wilson's face. Or if he insists on being civil, at least block his number.

I totally understand your visceral reaction here, but that's not a productive approach. It'd be better to take the high road, have an open and honest discussion about how to better recruit their kids moving forward. It's about a constant build here, not lashing out in an unproductive fashion.

We have wasted too many resources recruiting AH to only have Silvera to show for it. Time to let it go and blacklist them.

Advertisement
Well he certainly was more kind to UM than our current DB coach was when he was the AH HC and was interviewed on the radio about Miami (which also happens to be his alma mater).

Man shut that shît up. You had local coaches all in the papers saying the exact same shît. Roland smith is a alum and he spoke about golden and his staff.

Yep, this schtick is getting old. Like everyone on here wasn't freaking bashing the U admin, Golden, and everyone else for that matter. Because he was doing it without hiding behind a screen name?

Advertisement
Since I’ve been following recruiting, Broward kids seem to love winners, we have to win bigger at the end of the day man

Because the Broward kids we have problems with are the ones who are already used to being front runners and getting benefits by running to the stacked private schools. Same with Dade. Miami rarely has problems with the public school kids. Sony, Ridley, SBB, McFadden, Burns, Scarlett, Irvin, Wilson, Slaton, Henderson, Jobe, Samuels, Campbell, Surtain. Go through Miami's big misses and it's going to be filled with a laundry list of who's who of private Dade or Broward kids

Agree on your point but some of those kids you mention were public school kids and really aren't part of the issue. I think there are more issues with the broward private schools and Miami, then the miami private schools.

His son didnt want to play for miami. Look at where he went. He took what seems to be the easy road.

We may not like it that he chose bama over our beloved Miami, but I don't think any knowledgeable person can say that playing under Saban at alabama is "the easy road."

Based on history he is guaranteed to win a championship in his time at bama and possibly be a 1st round pick. Much easier than going to miami who is trying to build towards being a championship team.

So going to Alabama is the easier path than coming to Miami???

Jesus F-ing Christ you guys have gone nuts. You guys will say anything to soften the blow.

When has Miami had a better db recruiting class??

This is class is better than Deon Bush and Tracy Howard db class.

Better than the Kenny Phillips and Randy Phillips class.

The only class it runs 2nd to is Sean Taylor and Antrel Rolle all though there were a lot of busts like Marcus Maxey in that class.

Advertisement
Back