Sunday Herald Canes notes

Advertisement
Williams was a champion in high school.

This offseason he will add velocity to his throws. Juice his *** up

Quite frankly, his whole resume impresses me.

*Transferred into a new school (Miramar) and took them to the state championship his senior year.

* Goes to Memphis; As a true freshman, the senior QB goes down in week 2 (I think??). At that point Ryan Williams wins the starting job over a junior & a sophomore. Starts 9 games as a true freshman> His numbers:

57% comp. % (165/290)
2075 yards
13 TD's
10 ints
124.9 Qb rating

* AL Golden offers him.
* 3 years in the Canes program. 4 when he starts next year. Has shown improvement year over year and handled the back up roll well.

I felt the same way when I heard it was transferring to us

In high school, Williams improved steadily throughout his career and took a leap as a senior. Same thing seems to be happening in college.

Accuracy and timing are more important for him than arm strength. He has an adequate arm. I don't care if he could only throw it 15 yards as long as he gets it there accurately and hits the receiver in stride. We have playmakers that can do the work after they get the ball. I'm confident Williams can give them that opportunity.

Ryan might not have as good as an arm as Morris but I think he makes faster decisions than Morris which means he can anticipate routes and get the ball out sooner negating having to have that strong of an arm if he has better timing. I have no problem with taking over the helm next year.

Advertisement
He looks so much like Dorsey too. Same build. Tall, broad shouldered, similar throwing motion (Dorsey's a little wider), wears #11.

I do like.

Advertisement
Back