Sunday Herald Canes notes

AFCane11

Junior
### Several of the eight Committee of Infractions members who are ruling on UM’s case told us last week they cannot comment. But an NCAA official cited the complexity of the case as the reason for the near-four month wait for a ruling since the mid-June hearing.

“They talked about getting it to us fast,” one UM official said. “It’s B.S. Frustrating and baffling.”

### Though Kevin Olsen was the much higher-rated prospect, much-improved UM backup quarterback Ryan Williams said: “I feel like I should be able to earn the starting job” in 2014 after Stephen Morris leaves. "I feel very good about it. It will be an open competition. Fans look at ratings, and I wasn’t highly rated. Fans hold that as a negative [against me].”

Williams said even though his arm strength was considered “a negative” when he signed originally with Memphis, he can now throw a ball “60-to-65 yards and accurately” --– a “10-to-15 yard improvement” from when he transferred here. “I can’t throw it as fast or hard as Stephen, but I’ve improved.”

### ESPN’s Scouts Inc. raised Morris to 30th among all NFL Draft prospects, and fifth among quarterbacks, two spots behind Texas A&M’s Johnny Manziel.

### Please see the last post for UM-Georgia Tech postscripts, notes and reaction.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...aa-um-heat-marlins-chatter.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Dorsey didn't have a cannon either... By no means am I saying Williams is Dorsey but he's shown he can get the job done when needed so far. I wouldn't be mad if he was named starter next year.

His arm strength is definitely much improved. It probably hurts him more just having to throw passes at the same time as a kid that has a robotic arm like Morris. If you watch a lot of games on Saturdays actually Williams stacks up decently I think.

I know he was asked the question, but I think it's interesting that Williams is already talking about winning the starting job next year. He's preparing like he's the guy. This is what Golden was trying to relay to Olsen with his candid comments last week.

If Olsen wants the job, he has to step his game up yesterday because Williams is confident and locked in.

Advertisement
Hard not to think the NCAA has bad intentions. The complexity of this case lies with the fact that they got caught trying to **** us. Now they realize that either way their could be huge legal ramifications from this case. My advice to the cane nation is get ready for the long haul, because this is going to the courts.

If you watch the pre-draft workouts, there are decent pro prospects who struggle to get the ball 60 yards down field. His arm is good enough that if he has everything else together he can be a very good college qb.

Advertisement
Ryan Williams arm is stronger then ppl are giving him credit for..... Stephen Morris's arm strength is just off the charts so its not a fair comparison.

Also I think The NCAA is trying to find a reason to validate giving Miami another post season ban, and wont come out w/ a ruling until they find it..... what else could it be?

Last edited:
I am sure that there are a few militants on the committee who want another bowl ban; however, I strongly feel that reason will prevail. UM will sue if they impose another bowl ban, though. They will take away a bunch of scholarships and will call it a day.

Advertisement
Cane[]_[]DigIt;1618466 said:
Dorsey didn't have a cannon either... By no means am I saying Williams is Dorsey but he's shown he can get the job done when needed so far. I wouldn't be mad if he was named starter next year.

Look at the team Dorsey had around him. All pro wide receivers, all pro running backs and TEs. Should have had three national titles with that team.

I truly believe that Ryan Williams starting as a 5th year senior with the roster we'll have in 2014 will be a national title contender.

William's shortcomings aside, he's a kid who makes few mistakes. He's a tall kid with good field vision and an accurate passer. He's Good with play action too. That's goes well with what our O line and running game will look like next year.

The 2014 future is BRIGHT.

Williams' deep ball to Waters in the USF game was a thing of beauty. He has the talent to throw to.

Advertisement
I truly believe that Ryan Williams starting as a 5th year senior with the roster we'll have in 2014 will be a national title contender.

William's shortcomings aside, he's a kid who makes few mistakes. He's a tall kid with good field vision and an accurate passer. He's Good with play action too. That's goes well with what our O line and running game will look like next year.

The 2014 future is BRIGHT.

very bright on the offensive end.

The defensive end with 3 impact dt's leaving and Gaines, Cornelius and possibly Perryman at lb may be a problem. Hoping we get at least 2 Juco DT's that can have immediate impact and Kirby, Blue, Grace etc step up to circumvent this issue (And Perryman staying!). Our DB's are solid, especially with Artie, Elder and J. Carter bulking up this year and what we have right now so no worries there.

The worry with Williams isn't so much his arm, but his feet. Believe the game has changed in that regard in the decade or so since Dorsey. You don't have to be RGIII, but to play the position at a high level you have to be at least nimble in the pocket to buys time and find throwing lanes.

Williams' deep ball to Waters in the USF game was a thing of beauty. He has the talent to throw to.

Yes, it was. And, that should have put a lot of questions to rest. Williams is as well groomed for a starting QB as you can be.

He started several games, and played in all 12 for Memphis in 2010. He threw for over 2000 yards and 13 TDs
He redshirted one year while sitting out NCAA mandated residence requirement
He has played as a backup here for two years
He will be a mature, and seasoned fifth year senior next year.

I'm good to go with this guy if he wins the job.

149.gif

Flat footed too.

Advertisement
Back