Sunday Herald Canes notes

[/QUOTE] Should have had three national titles with that team.[/QUOTE]

He almost did. We got robbed by the bcs selection and later robbed by a little yellow flag.

Advertisement
Williams' deep ball to Waters in the USF game was a thing of beauty. He has the talent to throw to.

Agreed. It was a beauty. If, and I'm all for open competition, but if he's named the starter, he can make all the throws we need him too in Coley's offense.

Williams' deep ball to Waters in the USF game was a thing of beauty. He has the talent to throw to.

Yes, it was. And, that should have put a lot of questions to rest. Williams is as well groomed for a starting QB as you can be.

He started several games, and played in all 12 for Memphis in 2010. He threw for over 2000 yards and 13 TDs
He redshirted one year while sitting out NCAA mandated residence requirement
He has played as a backup here for two years
He will be a mature, and seasoned fifth year senior next year.

I'm good to go with this guy if he wins the job.

Williams can take us where we need to go if D gets better like it should with the killer 2014 class coming. If Olsen can beat him out it will be impressive. Just because Al will play young guys doesn't mean he wants to. Williams has looked a lot better this year than before. Staff is gaining a lot of cred here; I am sure there will be a battle, but it could be over in spring. Whoever takes the leadership will probably start. All these guys and Kaaya seem to have the goods.

149.gif

Flat footed too.

The back shoulder pass down field might have been even prettier.

Advertisement
I am actually very comfortable with Williams at qb in 2014. The offense seems to run smooth and efficiently with him in there.

Williams was a champion in high school.

This offseason he will add velocity to his throws. Juice his *** up

Quite frankly, his whole resume impresses me.

*Transferred into a new school (Miramar) and took them to the state championship his senior year.

* Goes to Memphis; As a true freshman, the senior QB goes down in week 2 (I think??). At that point Ryan Williams wins the starting job over a junior & a sophomore. Starts 9 games as a true freshman> His numbers:

57% comp. % (165/290)
2075 yards
13 TD's
10 ints
124.9 Qb rating

* AL Golden offers him.
* 3 years in the Canes program. 4 when he starts next year. Has shown improvement year over year and handled the back up roll well.

Cane[]_[]DigIt;1618466 said:
Dorsey didn't have a cannon either... By no means am I saying Williams is Dorsey but he's shown he can get the job done when needed so far. I wouldn't be mad if he was named starter next year.

If Olsen can't outshine Willaims for 2014, then he is a guy with an arm but is light years behind Ryan. Kyle Wright 2.0

Just waxing on the subject.

Advertisement
Williams is going to be straight. The offense will be straight and the 2014 schedule looks good also.

2014 defense is my question as well. The 2015 defense will be light's out though.

Williams is going to be straight. The offense will be straight and the 2014 schedule looks good also.

2014 defense is my question as well. The 2015 defense will be light's out though.

We need at least 2 JUCO DT's and maybe a waiver wire transfer.

Advertisement

Quite frankly, his whole resume impresses me.

*Transferred into a new school (Miramar) and took them to the state championship his senior year.

* Goes to Memphis; As a true freshman, the senior QB goes down in week 2 (I think??). At that point Ryan Williams wins the starting job over a junior & a sophomore. Starts 9 games as a true freshman> His numbers:

57% comp. % (165/290)
2075 yards
13 TD's
10 ints
124.9 Qb rating

* AL Golden offers him.
* 3 years in the Canes program. 4 when he starts next year. Has shown improvement year over year and handled the back up roll well.

I felt the same way when I heard it was transferring to us

The worry with Williams isn't so much his arm, but his feet. Believe the game has changed in that regard in the decade or so since Dorsey. You don't have to be RGIII, but to play the position at a high level you have to be at least nimble in the pocket to buys time and find throwing lanes.

Like Brady and Peyton Manning?

The worry with Williams isn't so much his arm, but his feet. Believe the game has changed in that regard in the decade or so since Dorsey. You don't have to be RGIII, but to play the position at a high level you have to be at least nimble in the pocket to buys time and find throwing lanes.

Like Brady and Peyton Manning?

But Peyton and Manning have very good OL and are elite passers. Will Williams be given the same benefits here or in the pros?

Advertisement
From what I've seen from Williams this season, I feel comfortable with him leading our national title contender canes next year.

Williams is going to start. I'd give it a 95% probablility. One of the others would have to really look like a superstar IMO to beat him out.

A senior QB with all those weapons and an even better defense. Should be fun to watch.

Advertisement
Back