Sunday Buzz Miami Recruiting

CaneShades

Junior
Updating UM's 2014 recruiting and Dade/Broward class; Dolphins, Heat, Marlins

SUNDAY BUZZ COLUMN

With college coaches circling South Florida, hoping to snag gems from a talent-rich Miami-Dade/Broward 2014 recruiting class, here’s a request: No more absurd drama, please.

Whether it was Alex Collins’ mother taking his unsigned letter of intent and running away with it (briefly), or the Matthew Thomas fiasco, or Denver Kirkland stringing UM along, UM rescinding his offer and then making another one that was rejected, South Florida recruiting has served up more soap operas than daytime television this year.

The peculiar recruiting tale of Collins -- who signed with Arkansas against the wishes of his mother, who preferred he attend UM -- quietly ended for good recently, when the attorney hired by his mother to investigate Arkansas’ recruitment of her son was unable to find any wrongdoing.

“I have no evidence,” attorney Jack Paris said. He said the mother planned to file a complaint with the Broward School Board but decided against it.

Thomas, the nation’s No. 2 linebacker prospect, signed with FSU but said in April he would not report and wanted to attend Georgia or USC instead. But FSU coach Jimbo Fisher wouldn’t grant his release, USC’s calls went unreturned by FSU, and Thomas agreed to remain a Seminole.

A UM official said Thomas told UM he would sign with Miami on National Signing Day, so changing his mind was nothing new for him.

UM coach Al Golden said the 2014 South Florida recruiting class is outstanding, and UM is capitalizing: Ten of the Hurricanes' 20 oral commitments so far are from Miami-Dade and Broward.

Four of those 10 are especially highly rated: Central's Joseph Yearby (rivals.com's No. 7 running back); Central’s Trevor Darling (the No. 17 offensive tackle prospect); Hialeah Champgnat's Travonte Valentine (rated the fourth, 11th or 20th best defensive tackle, depending on whether you believe 347sports.com, ESPN or Rivals); and Northwestern’s Mike Smith (18 sacks last season/No. 21 ranked defensive end by rivals.com).

UM's other non-binding pledges from Dade or Broward: Hialeah three-star quarterback Alin Edouard (his coach said UM has told him it wants him, and he remains committed for now, but I wouldn't bet the mortgage)… St. Thomas Aquinas’ Nick Linder (brother of UM’s Brandon and the No. 10 center)…

Carol City’s Trayone Gray, who runs 4.4 in the 40 and figures to end up at receiver at UM, though he is set to play quarterback this season…. Booker T. Washington’s Demetrius Jackson, who has never played in a high-school football game (he was focusing on basketball) but had five sacks in a spring scrimmage and drew interest from Arkansas and others… And finally, two under-the-radar cornerbacks: Dillard’s Dennis Turner and Miami Northwestern’s Ryan Mayes (formerly of Krop).

So far, ESPN rates UM’s 2014 class 11th overall (FSU is fifth, UF 8th), and Miami’s top four commitments are from South Florida: Yearby (20th among all prospects), Wellington offensive tackle Kc McDermott (45th), Darling (133rd) and Valentine (150th). The UM class also has a few players that didn't receive offers from other major BCS-level schools, but the Canes coaching staff felt they were worth taking a chance on. Only time will tell whether those were good evaluations.

And there’s still work to be done for UM. Here’s the buzz on recruiting analyst Larry Blustein’s top half dozen Dade/Broward recruits – and others – and where UM stands:

1. Plantation American Heritage running back Sonny Michel. Picked Georgia over UM, but UM hasn’t given up on landing a player who spent considerable time around the Miami campus the past few years.

2. Homestead receiver Ermon Lane. He previously told rivals.com (which ranks him second among all receivers) that UM is his “dream school.” But he said last week: “It’s real frustrating. I don’t have a leader.” Alabama and UF are also major contenders for him.

3. Miami Central running back Dalvin Cook. Told rivals.com (which ranks him sixth among running backs) that his oral commitment to UF “is pretty solid – 90 percent - but I’ll let everyone recruit me.” UM is making a hard push; his brother is UM freshman basketball player DeAndre Burnett.

4. Central’s Yearby. He switched from FSU to UM in March and said a few weeks ago: “I’m pretty solid to Miami, but I’ll keep USF in mind” because his former high school coach, Telly Lockette, is now running backs coach there.

UM “tells me I’m not the only [running back] they’re bringing in,” Yearby said. “They always try to keep it straight. That’s what I like about Al Golden and his staff.”

Yearby is trying to get Cook to join him at UM, while Cook is trying to lure Yearby to UF. One associate told me he expects Yearby to end at UM. But asked recently by rivals.com how much he’s listening to other schools, Yearby said: “A lot.”

5. Hollywood Chaminade Madonna’s Khairi Clark -- ranked ninth among defensive tackles – orally committed to UF. And UF also beat out UM, so far, for St. Thomas Aquinas’ Anthony Moten, the nation’s No. 12 defensive tackle. But Moten said he hasn’t ruled out Miami, and UM will continue efforts to flip both. Valentine's commitment somewhat reduces UM's disappointment of losing out on Clark and Moten. But Valentine is no sure thing to qualify, so UM must keep pushing for high-end defensive tackles.

6. Booker T. Washington’s Treon Harris. UM has some interest in Harris as a defensive back (he’s rated the No. 4 athlete by rivals.com) but not as a quarterback. Harris, brother of former UM standout Brandon Harris, told rivals.com he wants to visit UM but prefers to play quarterback. He threw for 25 touchdowns and ran for 15 in 2012.

### Elsewhere: Booker T. Washington’s Chad Thomas, the nation’s No. 11 defensive end who held his own against McDermott at a recent camp, said UM has a “decent” shot…. Curiously, UM has not offered two four-star Fort Lauderdale University School players: cornerback Quincy Wilson (Gators, USC among 40-plus offers) and linebacker Richard Yeargin III (UF, Clemson among 30-plus offers). Wilson told me they’re very surprised by that.

### An associate expects the decision for Plantation’s Chris Lammons (the 26th ranked corner) to come down to UM, UF or South Carolina. “I know I could go [to UM] and start as a freshman, looking at the corners they have,” Lammons told rivals.com. “That’s a big thing I want.”… Booker T. cornerback Nigel Bethel II, the No. 28 cornerback, said he will pick Monday from among UM, FSU, Tennessee, West Virginia, Kentucky and Texas Tech.

### Two Miami-Dade receivers that are orally committed to FSU say they haven’t ruled out UM: Northwestern’s JoJo Robinson and South Dade’s C.J. Worton. And North Miami Beach three-star receiver Steve Ishmael said he’s also considering UM.

### Here are UM’s 10 oral commitments that aren’t from Dade or Broward: Wellington’s McDermott (UM center Shane’s brother and the No. 5 offensive tackle prospect); St. Petersburg four-star offensive tackle Reilly Gibbons (rated 216th among all prospects by ESPN); California-based four-star quarterback Brad Kaaya (rated 253rd overall by ESPN); and Alabama three-star QB Malik Rosier…

Georgia-based two-star tight end Christopher Herndon; Orange Park linebacker Darrion Owens (a rising prospect still being pursued by Georgia, Michigan and others); Georgia three-star linebacker Juwon Young (stops short of saying he's 100 percent committed to UM)...

Rangy 6-5 Lantana receiver Darrell Langham (rated 289th overall in ESPN's top 300); and defensive tackles Courtel Jenkins (11 sacks last season at a New Jersey high school; chose UM over Maryland and Pittsburgh) and Dalvon Stuckey, a former FSU commit who had 15 sacks at Pearl River Community College last season. Stuckey will arrive in January and should help immediately at a huge position of need.

CHATTER

### During the holiday weekend, Golden told syndicated radio host Bill King that UM expects "closure" on the NCAA case "within a month." It could stretch many months longer if UM appeals its sanctions, which is possible if UM deems them unreasonable.... Golden said incoming freshman Corn Elder, who was Mr. Tennessee as a running back the past two years, will be used as a cornerback initially because of need but also will have the option of playing some at slot receiver and could end up there eventually if he chooses.

### A critical summer for center Jarvis Varnado begins Sunday in the Orlando Summer League, with the NCAA’s all-time leading shot-blocker conceding he must show the Heat that he can shoot a 15-footer “consistently and be a Birdman, an energy guy. If I’m active, I’ll be in this league a long time.” As for the more pressing matter of Andersen, a decision is expected shortly; he has been weighing offers from the Heat and other teams.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...lass-dolphins-heat-marlins.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
"A UM official said Thomas told UM he would sign with Miami on National Signing Day, so changing his mind was nothing new for him."

This **** never ends

A couple of things popped out to me though

- Yearby is trying to get Cook to join him at UM, while Cook is trying to lure Yearby to UF. One associate told me he expects Yearby to end at UM. But asked recently by rivals.com how much he’s listening to other schools, Yearby said: “A lot.”

- ### An associate expects the decision for Plantation’s Chris Lammons (the 26th ranked corner) to come down to UM, UF or South Carolina. “I know I could go [to UM] and start as a freshman, looking at the corners they have,” Lammons told rivals.com. “That’s a big thing I want.
• I like the confidence even though it won't happen no matter where he goes. Kid is a baller though so he backs up what he talks.

- Carol City’s Trayone Gray, who runs 4.4 in the 40
• Kid is a beast but the writer obviously doesn't do his research

- Curiously, UM has not offered two four-star Fort Lauderdale University School players: cornerback Quincy Wilson (Gators, USC among 40-plus offers) and linebacker Richard Yeargin III (UF, Clemson among 30-plus offers). Wilson told me they’re very surprised by that.
• L-o-l

- 6. Booker T. Washington’s Treon Harris. UM has some interest in Harris as a defensive back (he’s rated the No. 4 athlete by rivals.com) but not as a quarterback. Harris, brother of former UM standout Brandon Harris, told rivals.com he wants to visit UM but prefers to play quarterback. He threw for 25 touchdowns and ran for 15 in 2012.
• Fails to mention the kid is 5'11 and doesn't project to a college qb. & he stated we are recruiting him at slot.

The article was well written, but had a lot of questionable substance. I just don't like that all the unifomred people that will read this will get wrong ideas into their heads. That's life tho

Juwon Young and Darrion Owens need to stick. Those kids can both be All-ACC or better if they put in the work.

Juwon Young and Darrion Owens need to stick. Those kids can both be All-ACC or better if they put in the work.

Both studs, crazy pulls for a position of major need. Hats off to the staff on those two and the class in general. Off topic, if you would have told me that by July both S Michel and K Clark were gonna be committed elsewhere and that it would not even be that big of a deal, I would not have believed you.

LOL at Stuckey's made up stats. He had 4 tackles and 1 sack in 5 games he played in. Not hating on the pick up, have to point out the 15 sack BS in that article.

Advertisement
LOL @ Lammons comment. No way in **** that kid comes here and surpasses Crawford, Howard and Gunter.

Advertisement
Wow lmao @ that bs comment by 4.72 forty Lammons.... im sorry buddy but you wont even be in the rotation ur first two years at miami especially if Elder plays there permenantely.

Smh

Advertisement
Lammons is a bit delusional with that comment. Irrational confidence. But I love that he has that mentality.

Advertisement
UM “tells me I’m not the only [running back] they’re bringing in,” Yearby said. “They always try to keep it straight. That’s what I like about Al Golden and his staff.”

This is why some of the SFla divas go elsewhere as they only want to be told that they are "the guy" and that is how they are sold. Other's like Yearby are sold off of honesty and quite frankly those are the kids we want on campus

I love Lammons confidence and maybe he sees the chance to play here early.. It's going to be tight between UM and UF for him. I think Moten will flip to UM during the season. STA new head coach is very UM friendly and unlike Coach Smith he tells his players to keep their options open even if they're committed. Yearby isn't going anywhere and i don't think Cook or Lane comes here.

Advertisement
Back