Strength @ Conditioning

S&C seems fine to me - we don't wilt in the 4th quarter like we did under Golden.

The losses we had are pretty much a result of Baker's terribleness as DC which we fixed.

Advertisement
strength and conditioning is certainly not the problem.. but as the OP pointed out, strength at conditioning very well might be.

Do we need the magic juice?? perhaps! but top level recruiting improves S&C instantly .. there are dogs and then BIG Dogs!.. just see how JW #0 will look at the beginning of season.

good too our players are not getting injured as often

Unfortunately, strength programs at a lot of public high schools in Florida are severely lacking. They just don’t have the funds for equipment nor to pay a strength coach. That’s why a lot of these private school kids are more physically developed. A large portion of the funds for athletics come from fund raising but a lot of public schools can’t rely on their local community to raise a lot of money.
I've said this about South Florida players in the past and was told I'm an idiot. I've seen it with my own eyes players up north where I'm at and the ones coming out of HS in Florida.

Advertisement
LOL what the **** is mouth breather

Attachments

• 1A9D8AD1-6983-4E03-80C0-06FFD91892BB.gif
    1A9D8AD1-6983-4E03-80C0-06FFD91892BB.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
We have actually made some legitimate strides in nutrition compared to how it was even 5 years ago. When Richt hired Bellamy in 2016, UM didn't even have a full-time sports nutritionist... now we have a program in place.

Like I said previously, probably about 2% of the porsters here even know this.

But they’ll bltch about the nutrition part without knowing what’s even going on

Good, I hadn't seen this brought up for a week, was starting to get worried.

Also good luck controlling what these guys do and eat off campus. Can't tell you how many bball players showed up to workouts with bags of McDonald's.

They’re college kids. The average college diet consists of fast food, pizza and ramen noodles. The trainers can only control what they eat from the training table. You’d like them to make better health choices but what 19 year old kid goes out to dinner and has kale salad instead of a burger and fries?
It's not really about kale salad, is the thing. Maybe you're not really saying that but it reads that way. The whole salad thing is advice for people who don't burn a ton of calories every day. These kids do. They don't need less calories. What they eat and when and how it times in their day to working out matters for performance. Better quality protein would help. Managing carbs and fats and protein balance would help. Electrolytes matter. It should be pretty easy for them to have high quality protein smoothies from a nutrition program as a supplement to basic meals, and get the basic meals down so their breakfast and lunch and in-between options are designed for maintaining energy level.

Advertisement
It's not really about kale salad, is the thing. Maybe you're not really saying that but it reads that way. The whole salad thing is advice for people who don't burn a ton of calories every day. These kids do. They don't need less calories. What they eat and when and how it times in their day to working out matters for performance. Better quality protein would help. Managing carbs and fats and protein balance would help. Electrolytes matter. It should be pretty easy for them to have high quality protein smoothies from a nutrition program as a supplement to basic meals, and get the basic meals down so their breakfast and lunch and in-between options are designed for maintaining energy level.
My response was more directed to the guy who said the players post pictures of themselves eating junk food when they go out to eat. The food available on campus for them is highly nutritious and designed to fuel athletes but when college kids go to a restaurant with friends, they’re going to eat pizza or burgers. To expect college kids to never enjoy occasional junk meals is completely unrealistic.

We have actually made some legitimate strides in nutrition compared to how it was even 5 years ago. When Richt hired Bellamy in 2016, UM didn't even have a full-time sports nutritionist... now we have a program in place.

Agreed. It's been improving

Advertisement
Bottom line is we need to be more disciplined...

We need to cut down on stupid penalties, missed assignments and freelancing.

Strength and conditioning is not a problem.

Honest question

Do we have anything remotely close to this?

And this was 3 years ago

It doesn’t matter whether we have leather couches and art on the walls, what matters is do we have the nutritionists, the meals, the programs, and a place to eat them in place. We have all that.

The chairs might not be as nice, and there may not be a flat screen on every wall, we may not have state of the art smoothie machines, but that’s what Alabama is spending their money on.

I mean you’ve got to be kidding me using that as an example. They literally have money to burn.

We have the manpower, and the meals, and the program. We have what we need. If you want waterfalls, and big flashy rooms with strobe lights and disco lights, that’s not Miami and never will be, we don’t have that kind of money.

Most importantly we have several full-time nutritionist on staff that do meal planning and supervise nutrition for the football team and other teams. That’s what counts.

Feeley needs to get ahold of some of the products Bama’s guy is using to pump their guys up...Pretty sure you ain’t getting that stuff at CVS or Walgreens
amen, take a look at Bama, LSU, OSU Wisconsin,,,, look like they came out of a lab experiment
we have lacked explosive strength since Moffett left for LSU..... there is a reason Good S&C guys make 750,000 and its not about diet..... we never get a push against good teams. we have not kept pace from an S&C for 10-15 years

Advertisement
It doesn’t matter whether we have leather couches and art on the walls, what matters is do we have the nutritionists, the meals, the programs, and a place to eat them in place. We have all that.

The chairs might not be as nice, and there may not be a flat screen on every wall, we may not have state of the art smoothie machines, but that’s what Alabama is spending their money on.

I mean you’ve got to be kidding me using that as an example. They literally have money to burn.

We have the manpower, and the meals, and the program. We have what we need. If you want waterfalls, and big flashy rooms with strobe lights and disco lights, that’s not Miami and never will be, we don’t have that kind of money.

Most importantly we have several full-time nutritionist on staff that do meal planning and supervise nutrition for the football team and other teams. That’s what counts.

I never said I care about optics although I understand that could've been implied. The highlighted is what I meant. Is our nutrition staff/program on par with elite programs?

"Not yet on line but due in soon is a DXA machine, the gold standard for assessment of body composition and bone health. The athlete is scanned, and the result tells the nutritionists what each athlete needs for maximum benefit."

Do we have this, for example. The article discusses a lot more than just nice chairs and a nice looking facility.

I honestly don't know. But you're just spinning wheels falling back on, well we finally hired some nutritionists 5 years ago.

Feeley needs to get ahold of some of the products Bama’s guy is using to pump their guys up...Pretty sure you ain’t getting that stuff at CVS or Walgreens
Well, I honestly think Bama recruits the most physically gifted athletes as well. They don’t take 150lbs corners like we do. Nor 200lbs linebackers. Most of their players come in close to their ideal playing weight.

My response was more directed to the guy who said the players post pictures of themselves eating junk food when they go out to eat. The food available on campus for them is highly nutritious and designed to fuel athletes but when college kids go to a restaurant with friends, they’re going to eat pizza or burgers. To expect college kids to never enjoy occasional junk meals is completely unrealistic.
Yeah, can't disagree but my point is the pizza here and there isn't hurting them. As long as they get quality protein and sensible fueling for their workout schedules, they should develop and perform fine. When it comes to habits, however, the ones who take nutrition seriously will have better careers for the most part.

I would much rather guys like Pope and Wiggins work on catching the **** ball then making sure their bodies are ready for the shirtless photo ops that come around Summer time.

That said, conditioning is the least of our worries. We won games last year based solely on the fact that we were in better condition than the opponent in the 4th. (VTech comes to mind. They completely ran out of gas in the 4th qtr and JPhillips and Roche were just getting it into 5th gear)

Someone said it best... genetics and caliber of athlete plays a huge role here. (Coach Macho said this as well) JPhillips was in our S&C program for all of 2 offseasons and he looked and played bigger, stronger and faster than some of our guys who were in the same program for 3-4 offseasons. Maybe when we get more 5* guys it will make the S&C dept look better.

Advertisement
Back