Strength Coach

Advertisement
There is zero reason for football players to be pulling sumo. Sumo puts a lot of stress on the hips, and not everyone has the hip socket to be able to do it correctly or even safely. Stop thinking of trendy powerlifting lifts as the end all be all for S&C. Athletes should be programmed based off their leverages, which is what a good S&C coach is doing anyways.

Hex Bar deads would probably be best from an injury-prevention perspective, as there is a lot less lower back stress (which is already being fatigued from getting hit all the god**** time), and build a **** of a lot more leg power.

There is zero reason for football players to be pulling sumo. Sumo puts a lot of stress on the hips, and not everyone has the hip socket to be able to do it correctly or even safely. Stop thinking of trendy powerlifting lifts as the end all be all for S&C. Athletes should be programmed based off their leverages, which is what a good S&C coach is doing anyways.

Hex Bar deads would probably be best from an injury-prevention perspective, as there is a lot less lower back stress (which is already being fatigued from getting hit all the god**** time), and build a **** of a lot more leg power.
If our new dc coach uses the hex bar dead lifts I’ll be ecstatic. It’s one of the best exercises for power an speed

This is probably one of the better rational responses here to this topic. A lot of Strength and Conditioning Coaches also use this form of deadlift as a modification for a squat. With the position that the athlete is in with the hex bar, the better center of gravity is much more safe and there is much more quad activation in a hex bar deadlift. Now to touch on this whole deadlift argument. I can say that a regular conventional deadlift can be used in a strength and conditioning program because it transfers better to a power clean rather than sumo deadlifts. I also agree that the trendy social media powerlifting on our IG's with someone pulling 500+ pounds off the ground may seem impressive. However we're coaching athletes to become athletically more powerful, faster, and stronger. In their athletic setting.

Let me clarify: I’m not against deadlifts, I was just surprised there are so many defending them. They ARE NOT necessary, imo. (More, imo, can be achieved with true Olympic lifts … but the point is moot)

I was never a fan of Felder…

Yes hamstring development/strength is important (essential for the eccentric phase of sprinting …), but there are other ways to develop the hamstring more dynamically than the deadlift which is usually a limit test.

This is crazy! Deadlifts not necessary???? What?!?

Advertisement
Guess some guys never heard the term fat jacked
2222703-2222314_markhenry.png

Deads cleans squats snatches overhead press and the bench, everything else is unnecessary

I disagree fully.

What about core work??

What about working the tiny muscles?

What about increased flexibility, balance and body symmetry? You get that from Yoga and Pilates.

What about recovery? You get that from cryotherapy and improved sleeping patterns

There must be a holistic approach to wellness in order to reach your fitness potential, especially for the modern athlete.

Advertisement
I disagree fully.

What about core work??

What about working the tiny muscles?

What about increased flexibility, balance and body symmetry? You get that from Yoga and Pilates.

What about recovery? You get that from cryotherapy and improved sleeping patterns

There must be a holistic approach to wellness in order to reach your fitness potential, especially for the modern athlete.

Core is trained in all of these lifts. Flexibility training is different from strength training, but obviously should be utilized. This is like comparing strength training to speed training. What I'm saying is in regards to a strength aspect, hammer curls leg curls chest flys and other isolation type exercises are unnecessary. These guys train for results not aesthetics although most of the time the two go hand in hand.

Core is trained in all of these lifts. Flexibility training is different from strength training, but obviously should be utilized. This is like comparing strength training to speed training. What I'm saying is in regards to a strength aspect, hammer curls leg curls chest flys and other isolation type exercises are unnecessary. These guys train for results not aesthetics although most of the time the two go hand in hand.

I agree with much of what you just wrote (especially chest flys, hammer curls, training for aesthetics etc) but I disagree on your stance on core work.

While I agree the core is trained on the lifts you mentioned, I disagree with your inference that those lifts would be enough to strengthen the core. I believe the core should be targeting specifically and strength trained like any other muscle group.

The core is too important to explosiveness in athletics (change of direction, power, explosion) to fail to Target. A strong core can be the difference between a 36 inch and 40 inch vertical leap or a 4.7 forty and a 4.5...it can be the difference between a linebacker having to change direction to catch a RB that made a cut back move and not quite getting there

Advertisement
Deadlifts and Squats will get you strong, Olympic Lifting and Plyometrics improve power/speed.

From what I understood Felder was doing the workouts where you go to failure with sub-maximal weights. It’s more like bodybuilding where you’ll increase the size of your muscles, but not the functional strength/power that a football player needs to possess.
Olymlic lifts are overrated

Trap bar is more dangerous than conventional.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back