Strength Coach

If I said clean deadlift it is a typo. I agree the hex bar is better tool to reduce injury as well, the proper environment also helps. But all D1 athletes don't get lumped into the box of "they pick up coaching cues real ******* easy"

Most D1 Athletes have the Proprioception to learn drills really fast. If they didn't they won't last as D1 athletes because it's a basic requirement for being able to pick up drills on the field as well. S&C coaches should be programming for each athlete individually based off their specific leverages and weaknesses. If they aren't, they are poor coaches.

Advertisement
Most D1 Athletes have the Proprioception to learn drills really fast. If they didn't they won't last as D1 athletes because it's a basic requirement for being able to pick up drills on the field as well. S&C coaches should be programming for each athlete individually based off their specific leverages and weaknesses. If they aren't, they are poor coaches.
Exactly, if a player gets the most benefit from a snatch so be it, if he gets more benefit from a medicine ball toss or something of a similar nature, I'm all for it. My original post was in stating the main lifts I think every player should do at a minimum, and enough to make someone a good player. You can add to, yes, but not take away.

What other program was known for catching a pass for a FIRST DOWN over a defender, then taking off the helmet just so that defender could see his face and taunt him?? What other program had players sacking a QB and the d-lineman purposely rolled over him like a dog, rubbing his ******* over their helmet and got up to dance? We were the ultimate bad guys.

must catch a pass to show boat. Must make a sack to dance.

Hopefully they are using proper form.
c5c3b33a412f9876eaea87fe56ffd058.gif
This must be the **** guillotine exercise @D RevLee was tweeting about.

Advertisement
We didn't do a lot of flat barbell bench under Felder but we did every other compound lift when I had him

Flat bench is overrated and I’m not sure why it is tested at the combine anyways. It actually puts the shoulder in a compromising position. Dumbbells are better for you anyways. There are hammer presses that actually translate more to football that flat barbell press.

Advertisement
At no point in a power clean does the weight go over your head. If it is you do the power clean wrong. The way you deadlift and the way you deadlift for a powerclean are exactly the same. Any Olympic lifter has deadlifts in their workout regimen. The jerk portion of a power clean and jerk has little carryover to what a football player does biomechanically.

No, a traditional deadlift is not exactly the same as the deadlift technique used for the power clean. In the traditional deadlift, your feet are in a more narrow stance and so are your arms.

Flat bench is overrated and I’m not sure why it is tested at the combine anyways. It actually puts the shoulder in a compromising position. Dumbbells are better for you anyways. There are hammer presses that actually translate more to football that flat barbell press.

No, the flat bench does not put the shoulder in a compromising position. Agree that it’s not very useful for football though.

I specifically said earlier that they should be using hex bars to reduce injury risk as their is less lower back stress which is already impacted from getting hit all the time. You clearly aren't reading the thread, nor do you have any idea about S&C nor have you ever worked with D1 athletes. High level D1 athletes pick up coaching cues real ******* easy. It's not hard to train overhead movement, especially in a proper S&C environment. In a proper S&C environment, there are coaches giving cues during the lifts to ensure form is done correctly.

And I didn't say a snatch is the end all be all. There's many ways to skin a cat, and olympic lifting is merely a tool in the toolbox. I merely called you out on posting without knowing ****.

p.s. there is no such thing as a clean deadlift. There are power cleans, which are from the floor, and power hang cleans which start after that.

Ummm yes, there is a such thing as a clean deadlift.

Advertisement
Ummm yes, there is a such thing as a clean deadlift.
It's a clean grip deadlift similar to how there are snatch grip deads, and it's a different context from the use earlier in the thread. It's also not common in s&c outside of CrossFit or pure Olympic lifters. Most people would be doing clean pulls.

No, the flat bench does not put the shoulder in a compromising position. Agree that it’s not very useful for football though.

Yes, the flat bench could cause shoulder impingement due to locking players/person into a specific position because of the bar. Dumbbells allow true range of nature motion.

Advertisement
I talked to a folk in the know.

We got on Swasey because he didn't have a degree in exercise physiology and wasn't certified.

And then we hired another S&C coach (Felder) that didn't have a degree in exercise physiology and also wasn't certified. Felder's background is in powerlifting. It's one thing to teach a guy to squat 600 pounds. It's another thing to get athletes moving explosively, powerfully, and quickly.

Finally, we now have a coach that actually has a master's degree in exercise physiology. Trending up . . .

Just a Master's? :jordan:

No, a traditional deadlift is not exactly the same as the deadlift technique used for the power clean. In the traditional deadlift, your feet are in a more narrow stance and so are your arms.
Yeah I misspoke. In addition to the feet, the grip may or may not be different, in addition to the path the bar travels.

The bench does not compromise the shoulder joint IF done properly. When hitting a one rep max there is plenty of potential for shoulder impingement though.

Advertisement
Back