Strength Coach

If this is true then Felder should've been arrested for stealing paychecks for years. Standard workouts like deadlifts should be a prerequisite in HS much less college

Advertisement
Do you think there is chance we start doing what those two are doing with new regime??

Sounds crazy but Manny is a very very smart man. He knows he’s sitting on a gold mine and he has seen what Dabo has accomplished. I wouldn’t be surprise if he’s hip to game and allows something on a smaller scale to take place

I’m surprised there are so many (many of whom I thought would know better…) defending the elimination of deadlifts. I don’t care one way or another, but deadlifts, to me, are unnecessary - unless you’re a power lifter. They are not a requirement, again in my opinion.

Now that HIIT crap … that’s complete nonsense for a football player, imo, and should have never been part of the program.
Deadlifts are extremely important important for hamstring strength and helps with speed... especially with innovative S&C coaches. I was blessed to work with a coach like that and integrated similar stuff I bet this guy is doing... when people pull a hammy where do they grab? The most proximal part of the ham strings right by but cheek. One of the best ways to strengthen that area is by doing modified deadlifts where you stand on a 4-8 inch box and do LIGHT deadlifts that take you past “the floor.” We also did chain bench press where you hang heavy chains outside of the weights so they fall on the ground when the bar is at your chest, but as you push up the chains begin to lift so the weight increases as you push up... this allows you to build chest strength beyond your weakest part of the bench press when the bar is on your chest.

Bottom line is I’ve seen some of this stuff in action as a player and some of these innovative lifting techniques take training so much further then how much you can lift...

Sumo deadlifts build power and speed in the posterior chain and protect the lower back. Required for most athletic, functional moments. Someone would have to show me player workout logs for the past three seasons to make me believe DLs weren’t part of the athlete’s programming.

I talked to a folk in the know.

We got on Swasey because he didn't have a degree in exercise physiology and wasn't certified.

And then we hired another S&C coach (Felder) that didn't have a degree in exercise physiology and also wasn't certified. Felder's background is in powerlifting. It's one thing to teach a guy to squat 600 pounds. It's another thing to get athletes moving explosively, powerfully, and quickly.

Finally, we now have a coach that actually has a master's degree in exercise physiology. Trending up . . .
This is so telling fam.
It’s probably a huge recruiting negative to go to a kid and say “log into the association that regulates trainers or sports physiologists and tell me where you see UM’s strength coach. I’ll wait”
I know I wouldn’t go if it was me and I wouldn’t send my son.
This makes too much sense. I said our rb’s and some skill position dudes looked way too stiff. The fact that he was power lifter puts it together.

Advertisement
This is just false. Our guys were slow and fat as **** under Golden/Swasey. There was significant improvement under Felder. We had a structured program, nutrition plan, and Felder could actually be in the weight room.

But there's a higher level we hopefully can get to with the new guy. Felder focused too much on machines and didnt seem to be a good motivator

Excellent post, facts spoken!

Sad to say but in my lifetime of a being a cognitive Canes fan I’ve never witnessed a Canes team that truly pushes people around. Born in 94 so obviously I missed the glory years and was young during the early 2000’s. The most impressive I’ve seen us use our advantage of speed was 2017 vs ND. We looked twice as fast as them especially in the front seven compared to their AA offensive linemen.

I hope the new S&C gets our speed to elite level rather than making us a team we aren’t. Obviously both would be great

This is always the key to training Miami guys!

Advertisement
Deads cleans squats snatches overhead press and the bench, everything else is unnecessary

I don’t agree with that at all. With how far we’ve come along with understanding the body and how it works (building muscle, strength, flexibility while decreasing injury) it doesn’t make sense to not utilize those movements or exercises and only do 6.

Not to be "that guy"....but this is the second time in a row where our players think the new work out is better than the previous. We didn't improve much from Swasey -> Felder so we'll see in August if it's truly better.

What do you mean we didn't improve?

Advertisement
Bruh, you telling me it took till the LSU game to realize our S&C was trash? ****. I remember making a thread back in 2017 after the UNC (I think) that we needed to fire Gus after that Syracuse, UNC stretch.

When we couldn't run the ball against 4-3 Syracuse and 1-7 UNC I knew our S&C (and Searles) was trash. Year 2, one 5 Star, three 4 stars, and one 3 star on the OL and we were getting bullied by those teams up front.

This is what happens when you hire a HS S&C coach, neck and hamstring injuries galore.

LMAO! nah, I knew before hand. I was just shaking my head as well after that game.

Advertisement
I’m as excited as anyone about our new S&C Coach, but coming from someone in the same field ...there’s is not too many variables that can be obtained that will make us elite , outside of utilizing a PED regiment. It just is what it is. Nutrition and proper form only get you so far. Having said that, Improvement can be made, but if ur expecting us to LOOK like Bama or Clemson , u will be disappointed.
Maybe this new guy knows a pharmacist😜

Sounds crazy but Manny is a very very smart man. He knows he’s sitting on a gold mine and he has seen what Dabo has accomplished. I wouldn’t be surprise if he’s hip to game and allows something on a smaller scale to take place
Agreed, I think Manny is willing and able to “play the game”
I am looking forward to it!!!

Versus UNC in 2013 our Oline dominated them to the point hat we had a game winning drive running the ball the whole way. That Oline was special and underappreciated. Still get your point, and you're not wrong.

I'd say the 2000 team with Tommy Moffitt was as physically imposing as anyone in the country. That loss is so underrated in Canes history

Advertisement
Back