Strength and Conditioning

Ok well thanks for clarifying your .20 statement. That changes some things.

I'm not saying they can't get faster. Most do.

They improve a tick while adding lean muscle mass.
I figured we were closer to agreeing than not agreeing I respect too much of what you’ve written (though i haven’t agreed with everything) to not hear you out.

Advertisement
I love the guys talking bad about our S&C...then when you see them, they look like they've eaten another person.

Please stfu.

I loved Swasey but give Gus a chance already...my gawd.

It's so obvious at this point, but it's really beating a dead horse. We have only gotten smaller and weaker since Moffitt left, and we don't even have a significant speed advantage to show for it. Until we address this glaring issue and get our strength where it needs to be, we won't win a Championship.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

white guy gotta do it right?

Last edited:
You recruit fast kids.

Good S&C lies in the science of putting weight on the kid and keeping him fast.

If a kid comes in weighing 215 running a 4.68 and he leaves your program weighing 240 and running a 4.62 then you did your job.

I got a kid that went to college weighing 185 and running a 4.41 laser.
He left college weighing 206 and running a 4.35 laser.

Got another kid that went to college weighing 165 and running a 4.47 laser.
As a Junior right now he's 188 and last ran a 4.42 laser.

College programs don't use "build a player" from Madden. They can't add 40lbs to everybody's frame + subtract .20 from everybody's forty. Impossible.
Of course you recruit speed; the more the better. But it can be developed too.

You’re correct, you must add weight without making them slower and you’ve given some good examples...but there are better examples of athletes who put on weight AND ran faster.

What you mentioned first were guys who came in running 4.6/4.7, not guys coming in running 4.4 and leaving running 4.4. That’s a different kid. We’re talking about the 4.6/4.7, and I might go to 4.8 depending on the position and weight, but a good S&C should absolutely be able to get them down to 4.4/4.5 if they’re a WR or DB.

Not a guarantee; but as I said, if kids have been in your program two years and they’re not getting faster then look at S&C.

What D1 programs are recruiting 4.7-4.8 kids at WR/DB?

Wilson and Tabor from UF both were 4.6-4.7 guys in high school. They continued to be 4.6-4.7 guys at UF.
When they were getting ready for the combine, they were working with a speed coach in Colorado. (along with my former kid)
Guess what they ran at the NFL combine? 4.6-4.7
They didn't turn into 4.4 guys.

If it was that easy to shave .20 off a kid's time then more schools would recruit WR/DB's that run 4.6-4.7
They would simply recruit for size/length. If I could shave .20 off of every kids time then every DB I signed would be 6'2"+.
I'd end up with a DB unit full of 6'3" kids who could run 4.4's.

But that doesn't happen, cause it's impossible.
5'9"-5'11" skill players wouldn't even exist if you could legitimately shave .20 off of every kid's time.
I didn’t see this before replying to your other posts so let me try and answer it all.

1. I never said you recruit 4.8 kids, I was just using an example of someone possibly being as slow as 4.8. Also, the 4.6/4.7 was used because you mentioned the 4.6/4.7 WR/DB Golden kids. Again, if they’re not getting faster along with stronger...S&C.

2. I can’t speak for Tabor and Wilson*, without knowing what they did for the two years. They didn’t get faster; i’d Put it on S&C. That said, speed can be overrated because it doesn’t automatically make you a BETTER football player. Also, “Gurus” are overrated. A few months, and fancy meals and bedtimes doesn’t make up for what happened over the previous years. Again, most S&C have a bigger/stronger mentality and don’t know **** about developing speed. At all. Look at that guy Taggart had at Oregon nearly killing kids.

3. You’re oversimplifying with your 6’3” example. Nothing is absolute; I would never say it was, but most kids -even the fast ones- don’t know how to run. (PSU Barkley is reported to be a 4.3...I’m dying to see what he puts up at the combine) but, yes, you should be able to convert some of your 6’3” DBs to 4.4 by their senior years from 4.6/4.7. UCONN did it.

Oh my god another round of S&C threads.

Ridiculous.

Is it not worth a legitimate discussion?

Did you want to have a legitimate discussion after the Notre Dame game? Or VT? Nope.

Miami fans just love digging at old wounds and looking for an old injury to complain about. Clemson is a freaking machine, assembled over the last 5 years, and we are not. We aren't there depth wise, we certainly aren't there at QB, and we had freshman all over the field and key starters out with injury. Our best slot DB (also a TF) got injured on the first drive. S&C has nothing to do with any of that crap.

All year long we've seen this team win the second half and 4th Q especially. THATS S&C, not getting bullied by a more talented, better built and highly efficient program.

The caveat I'll throw out there is the OL. Searles does nothing for me
, but I'll admit teams figured out Malik about mid season and the good ones learned he sucks, so just fill the box and make him hit throws. The OL was overburdened by his shortcomings.

ive been saying this since last year. The guy SUCKS.

These guys fail to realize that Technique means everything in CFB and NFL.

The technique Searels is teaching is severely lacking.

He is just not a good coach.

Advertisement
I have a much bigger issue with Searles than I do with the S&C staff. The offensive line struggles so much in short yardage, it's pathetic. Does any one actually believe that Bethune Cookman and Toledo have stronger linemen than Miami? It's poor technique combined with poor execution coupled with the fact that most of these guys aren't really that good in the first place.

Before I get too doom and gloom, I will concede that the line did improve from last season and maybe with more consistency and a talent infusion, they'll get past the short yardage woes.

As for the defensive side of the ball, everyone spent the previous 5 years before Richt arrived complaining about guys being too bulked up and fat. Now they're lean and quick and people want them to put weight back on.

Oh my god another round of S&C threads.

Ridiculous.

Did you want to have a legitimate discussion after the Notre Dame game? Or VT? Nope.

Miami fans just love digging at old wounds and looking for an old injury to complain about. Clemson is a freaking machine, assembled over the last 5 years, and we are not. We aren't there depth wise, we certainly aren't there at QB, and we had freshman all over the field and key starters out with injury. Our best slot DB (also a TF) got injured on the first drive. S&C has nothing to do with any of that crap.

All year long we've seen this team win the second half and 4th Q especially. THATS S&C, not getting bullied by a more talented, better built and highly efficient program.

, but I'll admit teams figured out Malik about mid season and the good ones learned he sucks, so just fill the box and make him hit throws. The OL was overburdened by his shortcomings.

I feel the same way.

Stacy Searls Sacks given up
2017: 22 thus far
2016: 25 - Miami
2015: 34 - VTech
2014: 34 - VTech
2013: 16 - Texas
2012: 16 - Texas
2011: 28 - Texas

Miami:
2015: 19 - Kehoe
2014: 21 - Kehoe
2013: 17 - Kehoe
2012: 18 - Kehoe
2011: 19 - Kehoe

Ridiculous.

I feel the same way.

Miami:

Very damning

I feel the same way.

Miami:

Very damning

Its funny how much I get negged when I clearly know wtf im talking about.

Film doesn't lie.

Searels is severely lacking in technique.

Richt has a decision to make.

Advertisement
I made a post on Searels this year also and got negged! Even though I don't give a **** about negs!

I made a post on Searels this year also and got negged! Even though I don't give a **** about negs!

Well, I care. We need our fans to hate the bad coaches and bring attention to their suckiness so that Richt feels the pressure. Yeah, it may not work. Pressure can burst pipes, sometimes. :sneakiness:

I saw it last year when our players had no counter to UNC/Virginia tech Dlineman technique.

Pinck and McCloud need to lose some bad weight.

I agree, but what ALL OF OUR LINEBACKERS NEED TO DO IS...... wrap the fuq UP. We would have been so much better on defense if guys would stop trying to kill the offender and just get him down.

Advertisement

I feel the same way.

Miami:

Very damning

Its funny how much I get negged when I clearly know wtf im talking about.

Film doesn't lie.

Searels is severely lacking in technique.

Richt has a decision to make.

I don't even understand why Richt hired him...he left Rich at UGA to take the Texas job and got canned...VTech OL was horrid under him and now he's here.

His OL averages 25 sacks a year and we employ the same blocking scheme (zone) on pretty every running play.

Miami's strength and conditioning were both good this year - except maybe on o-line, and as others have said - not clear if that's talent or coaching. They were consistently effective at the end of games, and Miami's d-line was able to blow around, over and through opposing teams for the most part - even Clemson only averaged 1.9ypc, despite rushing 41 times.

The team got tired because they had no bye week, and other than d-line, there wasn't much of a rotation. All that little stuff against Clemson we saw was accumulated fatigue, and the loss of Bandy on the 1st series was very bad. Might be they need a little more rest or a little more food, but other than o-line Miami looked **** strong and **** fit all year. I don't recall any 4Q meltdowns a la Alabama last year in the Natty, for example.

I'm also not convinced that some of the really big teams that can still run don't have an unhealthily potent "supplements" program *cough* 'Bama *cough* *cough*.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back