retail sales up *
NY State Manufacturing up
Philadelphia fed manufacturing down
jobless claims up, but fractionally
continuing claims up
import and export prices down *

Last edited:
Advertisement
I say it’s said to curb speculation. When the true numbers are revealed, I’m betting no hike. Then again, I’m starting to second guess like that guy in Princess Bride.

princess bride GIF
We’ll see next month..the Tough talk could just be that.

Advertisement
I like flat days. Low volatility means steady growth. Good for longterm strategies.

One thing that should give the soft landing people some comfort: Powell has adjusted quickly to issues like the reverse repo in 2019 and bank failures in 2023.

08:30
USDBuilding Permits (MoM)(May) 1.491M0.201.423M1.417M
08:30USDBuilding Permits Change(May) 5.2% 1.26-5% -1.4%
08:30USDHousing Starts (MoM)(May) 1.631M3.691.4M1.34M
08:30USDHousing Starts Change(May) 21.7% 4.33-0.8% -2.9%
Building and Housing starts up.

Advertisement

New US home construction surges by most in 3 decades in May​

New US home construction surges by most in 3 decades in May​

Powell also said home market bottom was likely already hit.

My real estate assets are appreciating at a rate I have never seen. Rent is still going up across most markets im investing in. Feeling pretty good leaving equities for more real estate.

Powell also said home market bottom was likely already hit.

My real estate assets are appreciating at a rate I have never seen. Rent is still going up across most markets im investing in. Feeling pretty good leaving equities for more real estate.

As I may have written many times before, there is a shortage in the Sunbelt, especially the Southeast. Occupancy is still in the 90's (which is excellent) and rents are still going up. Remember that even if they "only" go up 4%, its on top of the 20%+ they have recently risen.

There is also a fair amount of new construction, so there will be price swings, but in general, real estate should do well. Conversely, I wouldnt touch real estate in the northeast, far west, and midwest.

Last edited:
As I may have written many times before, there is a shortage in the Sunbelt, especially the Southeast. Occupancy is still in the 90's (which is excellent) and rents are still going up. Remember that even if they "only" go up 4%, its on top of the 20%+ they have recently risen.

There is also a fair amount of new construction, so there will be price swings, but in general, real estate should do well. Conversely, I wouldnt touch real estate in the northeast, far west, and midwest.
As you know, I’m in Virginia which is doing well outside of northern Virginia. Hope to add more homes and diversify into Florida.

I can tell you the Keys are dead at this point. Very few transactions.

Advertisement
Powell speaks today….never good..He has to talk tough.
I still say inflation will drop YoY
June inflation will be low as the economy is slowing.

Advertisement
I have the Atlanta Fed on my side:

Atlanta Fed President Raphael Bostic said Wednesday he thinks the Federal Reserve should hold interest rates steady at current levels through at least the end of this year to better judge the impact the central bank's aggressive rate hikes have had on the US economy.

"My baseline is that we should stay at this level for the rest of the year," Bostic told Yahoo Finance in an interview on Wednesday.

"I actually think that we are still at the very early stages of our monetary policy tightening, starting to influence the economy in a significant way. I just feel like we have a little bit of time to just let that play out and see exactly how much the economy is responding to our policy.”

Bostic said it could take anywhere from 6 to 24 months for the economy to feel the full brunt of the Fed's policies.

We haven’t seen historically average rates in a long time. It’s prudent to see how they affect the economy and the value of the dollar.
Combine that with a reduction of the budget deficit and we might actually reach the Fed target rate of inflation. The problem is everyone in DC needs to give up something they believe in spending money on.

08:30
USDChicago Fed National Activity Index (May) TRADE NOW-0.15-0.9200.14
08:30USDContinuing Jobless Claims(Jun 9) TRADE NOW1.759M-1.301.782M1.772M
08:30USDCurrent Account(Q1) TRADE NOW$-219.3B-0.09$-218B$-216.2B
08:30USDInitial Jobless Claims(Jun 16) TRADE NOW264K0.25260K264K
08:30USDInitial Jobless Claims 4-week average(Jun 16)255.75K--247.25K
Jobless claims up, but not significantly
A lot of shorting going on.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back