Off-Topic Stock Market & Crypto Discussion

Maybe you or anyone here can explain the bond market. I understand prime rates, but the bond rates seem to be supply and demand driven. Like, for example, when longer terms yield less than shorter terms people freak out.
The bond market is generally considered as the smartest market. The Fed only controls the very short end, they dont control the yield curve beyond that (it is supply/demand).

So VERY simplistically and not 100% mathematically correct, say you buy a 10 year bond $100 that yields 2%, so you expect to receive $20 over time for the bond.

A year later you need to sell but rates have gone up 1%, so an investor buying would get 3%, not 2%, so $30 and not $20. So they are not interested in buying your bond, UNLESS you sell it a price (i.e. loss) that makes up the interest rate difference. Even if you dont sell, you will have a mark to market (paper) loss. Year to date, bond investors have lost over 10% on their holdings.

The reason that an inverted yield curve (short end is higher than the long end) freaks people out is that if investors are willing to receive less for a longer maturity, it means they expect rates to come down, which means they expect a slowdown/recession, which its what has always happened. Remember the bond market is the smartest market.

Hopefully that is understandable.

Advertisement
  • Most bonds pay a fixed interest rate that becomes more attractive if interest rates fall, driving up demand and the price of the bond.
  • Conversely, if interest rates rise, investors will no longer prefer the lower fixed interest rate paid by a bond, resulting in a decline in its price.
  • Investopedia:
The fed is currently raising these rates

• Most bonds pay a fixed interest rate that becomes more attractive if interest rates fall, driving up demand and the price of the bond.
  • Conversely, if interest rates rise, investors will no longer prefer the lower fixed interest rate paid by a bond, resulting in a decline in its price.
  • Investopedia:
The fed is currently raising these rates
I BONDS- get over 9% and rising

Advertisement
I mentioned earlier about the mega trends in migration exacerbated by Covid which have caused residential real estate in the Sunbelt to boom.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/big-u-...1yljtzaxskr&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink
residential home sale prices are stalling. The interest rates will take care of that.
I need 12 more days, like today, and "I'm Byke"....
ric flair GIF

residential home sale prices are stalling. The interest rates will take care of that.
I need 12 more days, like today, and "I'm Byke"....
ric flair GIF
Not in Atlanta they aren't. My neighborhood has had three houses BLOW THROUGH the previous ceiling, two of them without hitting the market and going for 10%+ over ask.

Home sales statistics are not as relevant as rental prices. We are simply building less homes, well below demand, so prices have been going up and inventory going down. Rentals in the sunbelt are still sky high, and that affects the middle and lower income classes more.

Advertisement
Who knows..maybe inflation is peaking..
Pre-market moved up after the reports.

USDCore Personal Consumption Expenditures - Price Index (YoY)(Apr) 4.9% 04.9% 5.2% 07:30USDGoods
Trade Balance(Apr) PREL $-105.9B--$-125.9B07:30USD
Personal Consumption Expenditures - Price Index (MoM)(Apr) 0.2% -3.240.8% 0.9% 07:30USD
Personal Consumption Expenditures - Price Index (YoY)(Apr) 6.3% -0.906.6% 6.6% 07:30USD
Personal Income (MoM)(Apr) 0.4% -0.620.5% 0.5% 07:30
Personal Spending(Apr) 0.9% 0.630.7% 1.4%

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
got tied up with work or else i would have bought more LPTX. when i went to buy it was back above 1.05

still dont understand why galaxy is being beaten down so hard.

$1.05 for LPTX isn't too shabby lol.

Galaxy is just being taken down with crypto. Which is partially unfair as some of their verticals make money regardless of the price of BTC etc. Shorts are still all over it cause its easy OTC. Plus the BitGo/uplist delay created a lot of FUD. The LUNA thing didn't help, thought Novo said they took profits along the way and held no UST. I think it's cheap @ $12. Imagine what I think about buying it under $6. I am really hoping for a BTC tank so I can buy it even cheaper.

CEO of Mullen will be interviewed tomorrow around close of market. Will go more in depth regarding battery results, and also supposedly going to peg the date of the Fortune 500 EV van order announcement.

1654030115556.png

Advertisement
Back