Steele's defense and some...

Defense maybe had some residual from the "slow starting" Canes that's been the program norm for so many years. But they tightened it up.

Advertisement
I don’t know how y’all wanna see Flagg fail. Most of you are literally rooting against him which is mind boggling cause most of you have no athletic ability and should be rooting for someone like him to reach his max potential. Culturally Flagg is what we want. Eventually much better options will come along but he has a place on this team. **** unathletic porsters calling a LB for miami “unathletic”
I'm very athletic, thank you for asking.

But to your point - why should I root for the little engine that could? This is Miami, not Temple.

Saturday was a reminder of what many of us have been saying all summer.....this defense is solid on the line and at the safety spots.....but below Miami standards at CB and LB.

I know they (coaching staff) and the kid himself posture to the media and say the move ain't happening....but it's pretty **** apparent they are going to be forced to move Williams to either a straight up linebacker role or a hybrid closer to the line of scrimmage on a FULL time basis.

You've got 3 good safeties and a combination of crap and youth at linebacker. Either get the puppies on the field or move your freakazoid safety up to linebacker and sell him on being a better version of Isaiah Simmons. It's what this team needs. In a perfect world we could leave him roaming centerfield but this depth chart needs him closer to the line of scrimmage and a way to get all 3 of those safeties on the filed at once, on a permanent basis.

I don't know. He took some bad angles on Saturday. Moving him closer magnifies those issues. He's also not a contact-seeking thumper. I always worried that JW was like Ray Ray Armstrong in that finding the perfect role for him would be difficult. Personally, I would use him in the spy role with secondary zone responsibilities vs. dual threats like the BCU QB.

Advertisement
Nobody wants to see Flagg fail, that's not what's going on here at all. What we see and know is that if Miami wants to get back to being one of the best 5 teams in the country on a yearly basis, players like Flagg cannot be in the 2 deep. I have watched so many slow qbs run away from him. I mean guys that are going to be selling life insurance next year.... Do you think that should happen to a starting linebacker at the University of Miami? I dont think the fans are mad at him at all. We're trying to figure out why coaches who make millions, can't get faster more athletic players on our roster to understand and execute our defense mentally.
Do you really think they aren’t trying? Mario said today they are trying to get Wes up to speed as fast as possible. In the meantime, Flagg is like a coach on the field making sure guys know their position a and responsibilities. He’s got the mental stuff down at a higher level than the other guys. It’s really sad how the fan base can’t support the guys on the field and trust the coaches to do their jobs.

Do you really think they aren’t trying? Mario said today they are trying to get Wes up to speed as fast as possible. In the meantime, Flagg is like a coach on the field making sure guys know their position a and responsibilities. He’s got the mental stuff down at a higher level than the other guys. It’s really sad how the fan base can’t support the guys on the field and trust the coaches to do their jobs.

You guys are both right though. Yes, there are some asses on here attacking the players (Flagg and Ivey). But most are just saying they're liabilities in big games and we need to find a way to coach up the other guys in their position groups so we don't depend on them any more.

And Hoya, you are of course right that the coaches know this too. Just imagine if Mikel Jones had gone through with the transfer. We wouldn't be having this debate at all w/r/t Flagg.

I'm personally becoming more and more convinced we'll see a gradually reduced role for both of those guys as Strong, Steele, Addae and DVD coach up other players with more athleticism. But Flagg and Ivey aren't going anywhere this season regardless. Hopefully their meaningful (i.e. before game is no longer in question) snap counts go from over 80% to under 50% between now and UNC, gradually reducing to 30% by the Pitt game.

Advertisement
Other observations.

So my brother n law played for Steele at Clemson. His defensive playbook was thicker than a New York City phonebook.

His defense was complex, and required a lot of the players in college. It's one of the reasons Steele got canned by Dabo. Players were thinking too much, allowing big pays.

My Bro n Law loved him, thought he was a defensive genius, problem was getting players to understand what he knew, so they could execute the defense.

After Clemson, he goes to Sabans fired coaches rehabilitation program. There I think he learned how to simplify his defense.

He made a comment at media day this year that if the player hasn't learned the teacher hasn't taught. That is self growth as an older experienced coach.

After Alabama he goes to Auburn, and he shows his growth by fielding 4 straight advanced metrics top 10 defenses.

So I say all this to say, this defense requires little more thought than Manny's. These kids will get better throughout the season IMO. It's not too much thought where they can't execute is as they get more comfortable though.

We did have 3 INTs.

Little more pass rush integrity will help too.

As far as personnel, Mesidor is our best DL now. Jackson got nice push in the middle. Ugude IMO is little too stiff off the edge. Probably limits his sack numbers, but can see how he gets upfield with pressures.

Off all the DE's, it was Thomas Davis that showed best burst and bend off the edge.

Overall the team looks prepared, the different units look organized and well coached, team looks in good shape. This is a big time operation now. You can just look at the sidelines and tell.

-The QB play was outstanding. TVD and Garcia laser sharp. That throw to X was NFL throw, and the laser to Redding. Garcia was 8-8 passing. Hard to go 100% completion against air.

-Feel like so much more in tank for this offense too. Zion out, Knighton out. Pretty vanilla but was so
-WR, TEs, RBs caught the ball well looked efficient.

-Man, McCoy and Anez make me feel much better about OL in 2023. Just their size and movement skills. A full year of S&C, and development. Watch out
If these guys can set the edges well and knock down balls when they can’t get to the QBs, I’ll be happy.

Other observations.

So my brother n law played for Steele at Clemson. His defensive playbook was thicker than a New York City phonebook.

His defense was complex, and required a lot of the players in college. It's one of the reasons Steele got canned by Dabo. Players were thinking too much, allowing big pays.

My Bro n Law loved him, thought he was a defensive genius, problem was getting players to understand what he knew, so they could execute the defense.

After Clemson, he goes to Sabans fired coaches rehabilitation program. There I think he learned how to simplify his defense.

He made a comment at media day this year that if the player hasn't learned the teacher hasn't taught. That is self growth as an older experienced coach.

After Alabama he goes to Auburn, and he shows his growth by fielding 4 straight advanced metrics top 10 defenses.

So I say all this to say, this defense requires little more thought than Manny's. These kids will get better throughout the season IMO. It's not too much thought where they can't execute is as they get more comfortable though.

We did have 3 INTs.

Little more pass rush integrity will help too.

As far as personnel, Mesidor is our best DL now. Jackson got nice push in the middle. Ugude IMO is little too stiff off the edge. Probably limits his sack numbers, but can see how he gets upfield with pressures.

Off all the DE's, it was Thomas Davis that showed best burst and bend off the edge.

Overall the team looks prepared, the different units look organized and well coached, team looks in good shape. This is a big time operation now. You can just look at the sidelines and tell.

-The QB play was outstanding. TVD and Garcia laser sharp. That throw to X was NFL throw, and the laser to Redding. Garcia was 8-8 passing. Hard to go 100% completion against air.

-Feel like so much more in tank for this offense too. Zion out, Knighton out. Pretty vanilla but was so
-WR, TEs, RBs caught the ball well looked efficient.

-Man, McCoy and Anez make me feel much better about OL in 2023. Just their size and movement skills. A full year of S&C, and development. Watch out
The defense will get better week by week with more time learning and adjusting to the playbook and playing to the players strengths. Growing pains. Hopefully there’s a step this week so by A&M we will be ready

To be fair the way JIMBO calls his offense Flagg may be better suited against them then other teams that are more spread u out and throw. Jimbo handcuffs his teams by playing that way

Advertisement
This is true. It's Flagg's most important role and he does a great job. Johnson should be able to do that plus be more serviceable though.
I think guys are overreacting on Flagg. If you want to know why he's still out there and why he will continue to get a lot of reps, look no further than the comment by his DC. You guys say you trust Mario, Steele, and Strong, well trust them with the lb rotation too.
No he's nothing special, but if he's getting more burn than any other lb, then they aren't either.

Until more guys step up and show a better understanding of what's going on out there and can out perform Flagg, I'm trusting the coaches' decisions. They know what's going on and who should be doing what. Most of the posters here DON'T. Trust the coaches fellas.

btw, i don't know wtf pff is looking at, but my guy Kinchens was the best player on defense. Love that kid!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don’t see it, goat. Scouts and experts are wrong all the time. I trust my eyes and my own knowledge of the game. I don’t really fall back just because “experts” say something different. Idc. I don’t see a 1st or 2nd round corner today. He’s physical and good in run support, but he gets beat clean on vertical routes and struggles with makeup speed. Think his future in the league is in the nickel

He isn’t a great cover corner. His value is in his versatility.

He has a safety body with corner skill set. He is smart, athletic, and physical. He can play outside in a pinch but his best spot will be playing closer to the line.

He ain’t gonna be Revis in the league, but is the type player to counter the spread.

I think guys are overreacting on Flagg. If you want to know why he's still out there and why he will continue to get a lot of reps, look no further than the by his comment DC. You guys say you trust Mario, Steele, and Strong, well trust them with the lb rotation too.
No he's nothing special, but if he's getting more burn than any other lb, then they aren't either.

Until more guys step up and show a better understanding of what's going on out there and can out perform Flagg, I'm trusting the coaches' decisions. They know what's going on and who should be doing what. Most of the posters here DON'T. Trust the coaches fellas.

btw, i don't know wtf pff is looking at, but my guy Kinchens was the best player on defense. Love that kid!!!
This is why Flagg is out there. I have come to accept that Flagg is going to be getting majority of snaps. He's got good football IQ, ill give him that. He knows the correct defensive alignments and has taken that role as a leader. Is he a leader like Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Jon Vilma, Sean Spence...no, but he is clearly looked to as that guy on defense.

Also agree, Kinchens was the best player on defense. Wasn't even close.

This is why Flagg is out there. I have come to accept that Flagg is going to be getting majority of snaps. He's got good football IQ, ill give him that. He knows the correct defensive alignments and has taken that role as a leader. Is he a leader like Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Jon Vilma, Sean Spence...no, but he is clearly looked to as that guy on defense.

Also agree, Kinchens was the best player on defense. Wasn't even close.
Mesidor says hello..

11 just stood there like a statue when they are running crossing patterns right in front of him… smh

And they were targeting Ivey on almost every throw, they definitely watched some film.
Ya I noticed they were picking in ivey

Advertisement
Back