Steele's defense and some...

Who do we play at LB then? I don’t think steed looked that great either. Both are too slow, Smith #4 is just clueless and always out of position. I mean we are already running just two LB out we are so bad. Can we trust chase smith or Caleb Johnson? I think by mid season we see Wesley a lot more. Flagg isn’t really the issue if he is getting guys lined up and in correct spots for now.
Smith was out of position one play, Flagg looked faster but is still super slow

Advertisement
Idk why Blades can’t be boundary corner over Ivey? He was solid there last time he played wasn’t he? And only matter of time before Wes takes some snaps from Flagg, he looks solid in back up duty

Lack of pass rush by our front 4 is concerning. We didn’t blitz and that’s fine no reason to show the playbook but I didn’t see anyone but Mesidor and Jackson beat their guys 1 on 1. Maybe they are being taught to hold the point of attack more verse shoot gaps. It will be interesting to see how that line develops.
I saw plenty of times the edges would contain instead of getting up field and over-persue. There was a few times where they would lose contain as others have stated

I don’t think it was a lack of ability that prevented them from getting to the QB but instead being told to do a specific job.

lol Flagg played very good. Showed better speed out there than last year, but Johnson is better athletically. But I see why Keontra Smith ain’t starting.. he was out of position a few times and gave up that TD. Mesidor has to play inside more because he lost contain a few times. He lacks speed to play outside imho

IMO, speed has very little to do with outside contain on the DLine. It's purely technique and understanding of your responsibility on that individual playcall.

At LB? Ok, then i would agree.

Advertisement
lol Flagg played very good. Showed better speed out there than last year, but Johnson is better athletically. But I see why Keontra Smith ain’t starting.. he was out of position a few times and gave up that TD. Mesidor has to play inside more because he lost contain a few times. He lacks speed to play outside imho
Go watch the film again, Caleb Johnson is not the answer.

just get ivey and flagg off the field, who the **** do I have to pay? PM me your paypal.

It’s really bad if steed and Flagg are in the game at the same time. I think they both can be affective on the field, but not out there at the same time. It showed on the first defensive driver the game

Advertisement
Ivey and Flagg will get you beat against good teams period. They won’t be getting the majority of the snaps against A&M though. We will bring out something special for them and when they counter there will be a counter for that. Steele and Strong will have us ready.

Rewatched every defensive snap today. 24 was the best player on the field & it wasn’t close. 11 is hard to watch. Usually the slow guys are quick to diagnose. He is just a body out there. Unless the play is directly at him he isn’t making the tackle. It was really hard to watch when truly zeroing in on him. The DT’s actually played a really good game. 8 needs to be put in a cannon & shot to outer space. Again, #24 is the best player on that side of the ball.

IMO, speed has very little to do with outside contain on the DLine. It's purely technique and understanding of your responsibility on that individual playcall.

At LB? Ok, then i would agree.
False! On the play where James Williams blitz it was. The QB ran away from Mesidor on the edge that time. If you not quick enough to get outside the tackle on a play where heavy pressure is coming from the opposite side it’s a speed and quickness issue. It’s not always speed or understanding or technique, it could be a combination of three plus quickness and get off. He just did not get upfield fast enough.

Advertisement
False! On the play where James Williams blitz it was. The QB ran away from Mesidor on the edge that time. If you not quick enough to get outside the tackle on a play where heavy pressure is coming from the opposite side it’s a speed and quickness issue. It’s not always speed or understanding or technique, it could be a combination of three plus quickness and get off. He just did not get upfield fast enough.
Mesidors literal scouting report is all “burst and speed to power“. His issue isn’t speed but more pass rush moves. Same with Agude.

Lack of pass rush by our front 4 is concerning. We didn’t blitz and that’s fine no reason to show the playbook but I didn’t see anyone but Mesidor and Jackson beat their guys 1 on 1. Maybe they are being taught to hold the point of attack more verse shoot gaps. It will be interesting to see how that line develops.
We actually did blitz a few times and one was beyond embarrassing.... Flagg up the middle untouched in a full sprint with the QB standing still.. QB takes one step and is gone , never to be touched by Flagg... Just ran away from him from a dead stop.... That was horrifying to watch.... Flagg is no bueno....

very good, so what is exceptional then? Maybe a tfl or 2 added onto his stats will make an "exceptional" game for you?

dude had the qb dead to rights then slammed on the brakes 5 feet away from him, then watched him run away.

Advertisement
The pressure was there. Problem was the break down containing the QB. Keep him in the pocket and get the sack. Its all about discipline.

I was pleased to see defense generally lined up correctly. Busted coverages will happen BUT we were in a position to make the play. LB pursuit does concern me. I know it has been said but they look slow to the ball. Interceptions are nice to see. Hopefully we can disrupt enough to see that again.

Advertisement
Back