Steele, Strong, and our LBS

CanesDynasty

Recruit
This has been a glaring issue, but I'm curious to see if they can get 2 of these guys to become all conference types.

Chase Smith - biggest upside
Keontra Smith - best instincts (small)
Corey Flagg - no comment
Wesley Bissainthe - big upside (young)
Gilbert Frierson - versatile
Waynmon Steed - experienced
Sam Brooks - good size (injuries)
Tirek Austin-Cave - most intriguing
Deshawn Troutman - has pop (small)
Avery Huff - tbd
Tyler Johnson - Jaquan's brother

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
I know imma catch some heat here but I been rooting for JW to play LB since mid season the same position I project him to play at the next level
Do you guys remember big number 2 at USC a while back at safey..yea JW He needs to be closer to the LOS for sure. I said it when we signed him. I get HE views his strength playing centerfield in the backend. And 15 years ago I’d agree. But in today’s game use him as a queen. Move him around and take advantage of his tools. Same way FSU used Derwin and Ramsey or Simmons at Clemson. Gotta Get your best players closer to the ball imo. 6”5 225 plus he has the tools to do it. But I don’t want him lining as LB in the traditional sense

I'd love to hear the reactions of Steele and Strong after seeing Flagg's tape for the first time.

I like to think their first meeting with him goes like this

1645281085542.gif

Advertisement
Smith, Smith, Wes and TAC are going to be a solid core with huge upside now that we finally have real coaches coaching the D
Nothing from those LBs last szn suggest this. Y’all think it’s coaching..it was. The coaches didn’t recruit well enough for whatever the reason at that spot. Gotta have a serious influx of talent post spring

Do you guys remember big number 2 at USC a while back at safey..yea JW He needs to be closer to the LOS for sure. I said it when we signed him. I get HE views his strength playing centerfield in the backend. And 15 years ago I’d agree. But in today’s game use him as a queen. Move him around and take advantage of his tools. Same way FSU used Derwin and Ramsey or Simmons at Clemson. Gotta Get your best players closer to the ball imo. 6”5 225 plus he has the tools to do it. But I don’t want him lining as LB in the traditional sense
The comparison to Simmons at Clemson was the idea

Advertisement
This has been a glaring issue, but I'm curious to see if they can get 2 of these guys to become all conference types.

Chase Smith - biggest upside
Keontra Smith - best instincts (small)
Corey Flagg - no comment
Wesley Bissainthe - big upside (young)
Gilbert Frierson - versatile
Sam Brooks - good size (injuries)
Tirek Austin-Cave - most intriguing
Deshawn Troutman - has pop (small)
Avery Huff - tbd
@Sebastianspipe said for a long time, chase is the most talented kid in that class. I think he and smith start.
Gil has shown he can play, I dont get why they cut his snaps for Amari last year.
Brooks cant stay healthy. Im curious to see how huff and cave respond to real coaching.
Not big on flagg and troutman.

Taylor Mays, man would be suspended every game if he played in today’s league

Advertisement
Steele has had success with some smaller LBers at Auburn and he had a few at Clemson in the 6’0 and 215-225 pound range. I think Keontra Smith has a good year

Chase Smith could be really good but he’s green. Steed is solid depth. We really need Brooks and Gil (if they’re both playing Mike or Will) to have a resurgence or Cave/Huff to figure it out.

Advertisement
Back