Steed by unpopular demand

Him and keontra were the only LBs I wanted back. Kid looked like an actual ACC caliber linebacker for the 2nd half of last year unlike what we’ve been used to.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Were fans down and critical while he was hurt? Yes.

Do fans have the capacity to realize that he has progressed A LOT? We do. lol.

"Two faced"? Well that's just a lazy observation, sir.

Agree. And just to expand on this, many of us Steed fans were never critical while he was hurt. The poor LB play bled over into general fan anger about the entire position group, including the kids who were injured, which is stupid, but hey, we're fans.

I did have a couple of moments of criticism last season (2020) when Steed came back and looked lost on a few plays. I hadn't seen that before from him, he's so instinctual. And early in the 2021 season, he looked very rusty and a step slow. Most of us hoped it was recovery from injury and getting his sea legs back. But of course that caused a little doubt if he'd ever meet the potential we saw in him from his HS highlights. But Steed kept improving, shook off the rust, and ended respectable.

Steed needs a big offseason of S&C, focusing on burst and change of direction plus lots of time working film diagnosing plays with whoever his LB coach and DC end up being. 2022 is his money year and like I said, if he's truly fully recovered from injury, he has the athleticism and football instincts to have a great year.

Agree. And just to expand on this, many of us Steed fans were never critical while he was hurt. The poor LB play bled over into general fan anger about the entire position group, including the kids who were injured, which is stupid, but hey, we're fans.

I did have a couple of moments of criticism last season (2020) when Steed came back and looked lost on a few plays. I hadn't seen that before from him, he's so instinctual. And early in the 2021 season, he looked very rusty and a step slow. Most of us hoped it was recovery from injury and getting his sea legs back. But of course that caused a little doubt if he'd ever meet the potential we saw in him from his HS highlights. But Steed kept improving, shook off the rust, and ended respectable.

Steed needs a big offseason of S&C, focusing on burst and change of direction plus lots of time working film diagnosing plays with whoever his LB coach and DC end up being. 2022 is his money year and like I said, if he's truly fully recovered from injury, he has the athleticism and football instincts to have a great year.

Well said.

Based on how has bounced back thus far, I'd say the kid will kick it up a notch next season as well. Not many bounce back from what he had to endure.

Started progressing from mid way point of the szn.

Actually glad to se ehim out there running around a bit. Hope he finishes strong as a CANE.
I think his great play coincided with his health. With both knees over the course of a couple years I think he was getting to full strength around game 6-7

He played some very good ball for us the last 6-8 games. Might have been our most reliable defender the last 6 games of the year too

Advertisement

2020 he admits he wasn’t fully recovered from injury but played decent during the little snaps he did get. 2020 was his first real snaps since coming out of Central 2016-2017. So yes he may have been rusty but the instincts were still there. 2021, he only had a few snaps versus Alabama and Appalachian State was his first game with major playing time after K4 gets hurt. Yes no one looked good in that game. Michigan State game was when he had his coming out party and hasn’t looked back since. Basically instincts has always been there and speed is gradually coming back. If he can get back to a low 4.6 and possibly high 4.5 40 range, I will say he’s fully recovered. We will see, but he knows how important this year is and his main focus this off season is learning the new defense so he can play faster. Last year means nothing as everyone is going to have to learn this new defense and perform during the spring to earn playing time.

Berrios took until his senior year to show the promise he had before his knee injury. Now he just keeps getting better. This could be the same came case for Steed. Look forward to a break out year. Now it's all about confidence and receiving quality coaching.

Advertisement
I think Steed got lumped in with our overall LB gripes.... He has shown flashes of being a very solid player. Easily the best open field tackler.

Excited to see what he looks like in the new defense with more time removed from his injury.

Thanks for Posting Steed Sr!

Advertisement
WHAT!!??

OGH...you need to back that truck up...

99% of the porsters are very knowledge and never engage in silliness.

Da fuq you talking about?
He's cracking...

Dave Chappelle Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

@waynejr31 you know your son.. he’s not as explosive as he was at central due to the injuries..if he can get that back this year we good…he was never the strongest or a violent hitter but he is easily the most instinctive linebacker we have along with Ragone.. always been rooting for him. I think he’s the best LB on the team

Last edited:
WHAT!!??

OGH...you need to back that truck up...

99% of the porsters are very knowledge and never engage in silliness.

Da fuq you talking about?
I'd bet their chauffeurs and the dimes they bang every night know more about football than they do.

Advertisement
Back