Status check on W/L expectations?

Advertisement
You don't get invited to many parties, do you?
I just keep it realistic. I listed out the games that I think we will lose.

A&M will be talented and probably better than us early. We haven’t won an out of conference power 5 game since 2017 ND and we haven’t beat an SEC team in 10 years.

We have lost 4 straight to UNC and 3-7 in our last 10. At their place with a 1st round QB

Clemson has beat us 4 straight times by a combined score of 178-30

We are 12-10 on the road in conference since 2018. NC State is well coached and will be tough to beat at their place

FSU has a significant experience advantage and one of the better teams we will see this year; at home after beating us two straight.

We have not played well at BC even when they aren’t good. I think Brohm’s offense will be playing well by November. It’s easy to think split

Sorry it’s not rainbows and sunshine. I don’t see the the depth or play makers to beat some of these teams that everyone chalks up as easy wins. Sometimes it seems like our fans don’t truly know how bad we’ve been.

I just keep it realistic. I listed out the games that I think we will lose.

A&M will be talented and probably better than us early. We haven’t won an out of conference power 5 game since 2017 ND and we haven’t beat an SEC team in 10 years.

We have lost 4 straight to UNC and 3-7 in our last 10. At their place with a 1st round QB

Clemson has beat us 4 straight times by a combined score of 178-30

We are 12-10 on the road in conference since 2018. NC State is well coached and will be tough to beat at their place

FSU has a significant experience advantage and one of the better teams we will see this year; at home after beating us two straight.

We have not played well at BC even when they aren’t good. I think Brohm’s offense will be playing well by November. It’s easy to think split

Sorry it’s not rainbows and sunshine. I don’t see the the depth or play makers to beat some of these teams that everyone chalks up as easy wins. Sometimes it seems like our fans don’t truly know how bad we’ve been.
And then you have to factor an entire new coaching staff with 2 new coordinators.

- Our Canes are facing several huge headwinds for 2023
-- Significant staff turnover
-- Significant roster turnover
-- Poor previous performance/experiences from remaining members
-- "Better" athletes are mostly younger/1-yr players
- First 7 games will be huge indicator for last 5
- It is possible Miami starts 0-2
- It is possible Miami starts 3-4/2-5
- It is possible OL additions enable +15%-20% scoring (G1 and G2 will be indicators)...Miami starts 6-1/5-2

- Recent Pate interview provided huge message..."I got YEARS in my contract to turn this around...be comfortable with YOUR disappointment of YOUR timelines, not mine,now bring me a cafecito *****"
- Expect Big Manny to establish OL alpha dominance throughout G1 and G2 or die trying...

Funny thing about the future is it has an uncanny consistency of mushroom stamping what we thought yesterday and today.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Year 2 of the Mario complete program overhaul

I feel the 2 new coordinators will have a significant impact on both sides of the ball

The departure of players not completely “bought in” and the infusion of both transfer and freshman players should help with attitude and performance.

8 wins is not unrealistic and any above that would be a bonus.

8 wins is the floor of this team right now.

Outside of QB, every position group received some sort of upgrade. Whether that's a starter that's an upgrade or the overall depth at that position group received an upgrade.

New coordinators are better fit for our roster and what this team needs to play like. Last years coordinators cost us TAMU and MTSU game.

Advertisement
Heart says 9, head says 7, possibly getting to 8 with a bowl game. It's the context of all the games though. Can we at a bare minimum be competitive in every game? Can we not let Clemson anal rape us?...again? Will we show up against our biggest rival who is supposed to be a top 10 to 15 team? Do we have the focus to not drop a game we're supposed to win?

Bottom line is I don't trust this team yet. Playing every team close regardless of winning or not will to me tell if Mario has started to flip the culture. Plus this team is thin in a lot of areas where an injury or two will cause major problems. I expect a hiccup or two until proven otherwise.

To me, it's all about how they're playing in November. Total garbage last season and new coordinators this year so there will be growing pains. If things start coming together by the end of the season (including a bowl game, hopefully), the future could be looking bright. If they still can't figure out their elbow from their *** by the end of the season, the Mario hire will be looking pretty **** awful.

Advertisement
go to 11 spinal tap GIF

6-6 is what I expect

Losses to A&M, @UNC, Clemson, @NC State, @FSU, and split UL or @ BC
NGL I clicked on this thread ready to post 8-10 wins, but other than losing that 6th game against UL or BC…..it wouldn’t be that shocking unfortunately given our history, but I am very high on this team and coaching staff

Advertisement
Assuming the team is relatively healthy (especially TVD), then 7 to 8 wins. Anything less than that means we got a problem…again.

Having said that, I’m not fixated on the win total. It will take care of itself. I want us to look like we belong in our losses. Crush the opponents you are expected to crush and play your best competitive football against teams with more talent.

If we do that, then it will be a successful year.

I don't have any expectations or faith in this team anymore but I'll still be ****ed if we don't win 10 games.

I’ve posted ad nauseam to the history of HC who have made huge leaps in yr 2.

However, imma take a different angle:
Randy Shannon -
Yr 1: 5-7
Yr 2: 7-6

Al Golden -
Yr 1: 6-6
Yr 2: 7-5

Manny Diaz -
Yr 1: 6-7
Yr 2: 8-3

Now these mutha fckas r all of our favorite most hated coaches, right? Mario is supposed to be 10x the coach of these losers, correct?

So imma put it like this, if we win less than 8 games in yr 2, Imma feel a certain type of way. I backed Mario & preached patience in yr 1 b/c of what was inherited, but there’s no reason y in yr 2, w/ an alleged roster more in his image that we should be losing more than 4 games this yr, not w/ this schedule.

We play:
G5 Miami (OH)
A TAMU team in influx
GT who fired their coach
FCS BCU
G5 Temple team that went 3-9 last season.

This right here should be NO LESS than a 4-1 start, but in reality should be a 5-0 start since TAMU still have QB ? marks.

We then play:
UNC who lost their two best WRs
Clemson
UVA that went 3-9 last season AND lost their starting QB
NCSt who’s replacing Leary w/ UVA’s trash
FSU

This stretch should be 4-1 if our mentality is right, but I’ll go 3-2 to be nice.

We finish up w/:
UL who’s bringing in a whole new staff
BC who’s weak af

2-0

Our regular season should be 9-3, period.

And allow me to nix the potential change in-staff excuse; Diaz went 8-3 in yr 2 w/ a whole new Offensive Staff from yr 1, brought in a new QB from the portal, & lost his best WR in KJ Osborn.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back