State of Miami: Myth Busted

Advertisement
This boils down to coaching....Idk if CMD can get it done, I say the jury is still out on him after Year 1. Florida is our home state so we recruit it hard but by no means do we primarily focus on SoFLA to the point where we do not have a CONSISTENT presence in the places out west like Cali-AZ etc and Texas along with Northeast etc.

:ibis-roflmao-sm3:

You are right that ‘you are what you do.’. I just can’t determine if you’re a troll or a potato.

Perhaps both.

3284GqbSEXgl2.gif
2u9HmOf6BmqwU.gif

It will be ok. You will recover from this L.

Back to the lab, work on it some more, come debate me when ready.

I'll only go 1/4 speed this time.

PS..For context, I only went 1/8 for your thrashing this morning...

wearing a blind fold.

You make it too easy talking yourself in circles. I gave you the out, gave the opportunity to withdraw gracefully...and then you went full muppet. Never go full muppet.

Also, it would appear not many (ok only muppets) agree with your take. That certainly doesn't make you wrong and me right.

Just another data point.

Last edited:
South Florida athletes are just a bunch of deva's... They're a bunch of copycats and go where the trend is... I'd love for us to start recruiting more players nationally. I think we are more attractive to players from out of state... As humans we always want what we don't have... These athletes grew up down here and take this weather/location (Miami) for granted. If we can keep 3-4 of the top players down here and recruit nationally I think we'd be in better shape...
Ya'll need to stop with this weather nonsense. We are not recruiting 60 year old retirees who are in pain every time they walk in the cold we are talking about 17-18 year olds who don't give a **** about the weather.

Hasn't Diaz also taken on a bunch of head cases and lazy slappies since being DC? Gotta recruit hard workers and he really hasn't. He's recruited and developed guys who have taken a serious amount of plays and seasons off. And I'm just talking about on defense. Just look at the defenders who have slept through games, plays or even a season from the defense. Diaz talks a great game, but discipline and character come from the top down not the bottom up.

Apathy is contagious.

Advertisement
Ya'll need to stop with this weather nonsense. We are not recruiting 60 year old retirees who are in pain every time they walk in the cold we are talking about 17-18 year olds who don't give a **** about the weather.

Have you seen some of the players on roster?

I generally agree with you and the weather nonsense gets overstated bigly. But, there have been some recruits interviewed recently who have specifically mentioned the Florida/Miami weather. Maybe it's only something like 5% of their decision-making criteria, who knows, but some recruits have mentioned it.

The biggest game changer IMO, even more so than the internet, is the availability of seeing basically every game on television. Back in our good old days, you got regional and one big game of the week.

The internet is only slightly behind IMO and with the losses in the field of the Big 3, that hurts recruiting as well.

Advertisement
I would add this: why do Ws mix in with emotional loyalty to hometown brand?

One would think Ls mixed in with above would drive the elite to stay even more to "fix" what has gone wrong. You know, because they have so much emotional loyalty and want family to see them play at home.

I don't say this often, but you are 100% right my man. 100% right!!. If MIA has to win big or a NC to keep players in its own back yd, then there is actually very little that separates the hometown team from others, and that is in-fact a problem.

Last edited:

I, and others, have been saying this forever: internet connectivity and social media have permanently changed CFB recruiting forever and where recruits end up.

IF internet/social media existed back in his day, Schnelly would never (ok most likely) have built Miami into the power it became as quickly as he did.

Miami wastes too much time on locals never coming and piles up too many Ls to attract out-of-state 5*.

Obviously Ws come from recruit + develop + retain. If they can fix the fails above, keep around 20% of the right locals, bring in the right outsiders, maybe Ws will start trending in the right direction.

Expecting to get even 50% of Fl talent is unrealistic.
Been saying this for years man

Advertisement
It's OT but one comically consistent thing about CIS recruiting threads pertaining to national recruiting is the geographical biases of all of us based on where we grew up or where we're currently living.

It's always funny to have guys pining for us to start focusing on kids in North Carolina or Washington State or Maryland etc. I'm not even casting aspersions here either as I personally will always look at any Pennsylvania 4 star or above to see if we even offered.
I live in the metropolitan D.C. area but I don't advocate a big recruiting push here except for select kids. Rather see us go big in Texas and Louisiana.

I go by regions that are producing specific talent at specific positions & based on how well we would be able to land a talented player from that region.

I never mention Georgia or Louisiana because the Georgia experiment during Richt's tenure has mainly yielded bad results (except for Deejay) & culminated with one of the worst trolls ever from Romello Height. It never gets talked about on this board but what that kid did & how he did it was the work of a pure ****** person, most on the board just swept it under the rug but how he handled his recruitment is equally as bad & in a lot of cases worse than any South Fla diva we've dealt with recently.

Georgia definitely has very good talent, but I've soured on recruiting the region due to the Holloman, Ezzard, Height & Jarren situations. Plus I just don't believe high level kids from there will really come here, I think we can get the ones SEC country doesn't want.

Louisiana is a region that's extremely tough to crack, yes we got Ed Reed & Reggie Wayne but that was 20 years ago & since then haven't really hit on any worthwhile. They're probably the most loyal kids in the nation in terms of recruiting, the majority of elite Louisiana prospects stay home to LSU & the ones that leave only go to top tier programs like Bama. We won't have a real shot at getting those kids until we win the ACC & make the playoffs.

Everybody recruits Texas, it's pretty much just like Florida, but those kids stay home a little more than FLA kids do, but every program recruits down there & gets good prospects to leave home.

Arizona is the sleeper region, they don't produce a high volume of players, but at specific positions like QB & DB they've had some really talented players over the last few classes. They are probably some of the most well coached kids on the HS level & they have a high hit rate on success.
Most of my thinking on Texas and Louisiana is based on 20-30 year old experience, so maybe it's changed. Our Louisiana recruiting died when CJ left. Even then he only got us a couple of kids that became elite (Reed and Wayne).

Our 2001 team had ten Texans. They were not recruited into an elite program. Butch sold them on the future.

If we start to win, I think we can recruit the best in Texas. Louisiana will be tougher because LSU is on top of the world right now. When we used to recruit Louisiana LSU was mediocre.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back